1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Need Help IDing Knife From Jurassic World

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Boonedoggle, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Boonedoggle

Boonedoggle

May 14, 2014
    I've just seen some stills from Jurassic World, and I spotted Chris Pratt's character carrying a knife scout style.
    I doubt we'll see it put to use, but it's a nice addition to the character.
    Pratt is an avid hunter, so who knows... maybe it was his idea, or even his knife.

Anyway, can anyone ID it? It looks familiar to me, but I'm drawing a complete blank.
    Definitely a custom. Scales remind me of Blind Horse. Pins don't look right for them though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks.

2. KSP1806

KSP1806

Jan 30, 2015
    Just wanted to kind of clear the air about the knife Chris Pratt has on his belt in the photos. A friend of mine made the knife. I was in his shop often during the month or so that he was working on it. His name is Steve Auvenshine from Kentucky. He has been making knives for longer than the 20 years that I have known him. He has also worked for the movie industry as an ARMORER and prop maker. You can check him out on IMDB. He has never had a website but if you google "Steve Auvenshine knives" you can see some of his work. Busse (swamp rat knives) may have a piece in the movie but it's not that one.
    Sorry to rattle on so much, I posted this same message on another thread. Hope that's ok.
    Curtis

3. KSP1806

KSP1806

Jan 30, 2015
  4. MI-FZ6

MI-FZ6

Oct 8, 2014
    I don't want to push this off topic but I really like the sheath!

5. UltimateHunter1124

UltimateHunter1124

Apr 23, 2015
    Do you know by any chance the specifications of the knife. Mainly just the length of blade and handle. I would guess around 8 inches, but I could be wrong.

6. chiral.grolim

chiral.grolim Universal Kydex Sheath Extension Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 2, 2008
    Thank you for the input! :thumbup:

My wife and i just watched that clip on youtube and she asked me what knife it was, I responded, "looks like a custom" - glad to now know who the maker is :thumbup: Any more images showing the blade? And I agree with a post above, nice sheath, looks like magnetic retention...?

7. mudguard

mudguard

Aug 2, 2013
    Whats the blade size on this knife? any more images?

8. Jamesh Bond

Jamesh Bond

Jan 14, 2007
    I want that!

How does the knife stay in the sheath?

9. DL_Rebecca

DL_Rebecca

Jun 12, 2015
    Thank you! It was made by Dragon Leatherworks.

It was fitted to the knife, so retention was perfect. :)

10. PiercedBill

PiercedBill

Nov 15, 2014
    Id love to see more/better pictures of the blade.
    It is a Very! good looking knife, I'd wear it :D

11. grownstar

grownstar Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 24, 2013
    It's gotta be long enough to pierce through an Indominus Rex!

12. NetshadeX

NetshadeX

Oct 17, 2013
    Indeed, personally I never go under 10 inches when facing dinosaurs.

13. razorsdescent

razorsdescent

Jan 16, 2005
    Immediately Googled the knife the moment I got home form the theatre. Not dissapointed.

14. LeaderofthePack

LeaderofthePack

Aug 4, 2013
    looks like a stick tang. The only way I can see the retention system really working is if the leather was form fitted into the grove before the blade starts.

15. Didgeridude

Didgeridude

Aug 3, 2011
    Does anybody have a picture or a link to a picture of the blade of the knife, I have tried googling everything I can think of but I cant find an image of the actual blade anywhere. Any help would be awesome!

16. djkj6

djkj6

Apr 18, 2009
    This is the best that I can find with an outline and profile of the blade edge and thickness...Single Edge, high polish and trailing point? Hunter style with a thick spine?

[​IMG]

17. Shorttime

Shorttime

Oct 16, 2011
    Just image searched the name, myself. Steve seems to like "Gaucho knives", and his work is very clean.

Most of all, I'm glad that the producers of Jurassic world took the time to find a knifemaker, instead of just picking something off the shelf at a hardware store and saying "good enough".

Especially a knifemaker who isn't well known. This needs to happen more often, and not just with knives!

18. snooka

snooka

Jun 1, 2013
    That's the scene that made me laugh, he just could of pulled it out with his hands, no need for a knife :rolleyes:

19. L.H.S

L.H.S Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Looks like more of a clip point to me, but a rather pointy/sweeping one at that. Nice, classic hunter. A very fitting choice.

20. EricV

EricV

Nov 19, 2008
    How frequently do you remove Dinosaur parts from nearly indestructible globe rides to have formed that opinion? :rolleyes:

The movie was surprisingly good, mostly because the last few Jurassic Park movies have been surprisingly bad. This one definitely rivals the first one