New Breaching Hawk Coming Soon

Huntsman Knife Co.

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I've been working on developing a breaching hawk for a few months now and the project has finally come to fruition. I have a small prototype run of 8 of these I will be finishing in a few weeks as soon as my surface grinder is up and running.

These pieces are 80CRV2 from Aldo and have a DHT with a 57-58 edge and a spring tempered body. They are 3/8th thick and will have a tapered tang. The scales will be micarta. G10 or wood, and will likely be two piece scales. One for the top portion and one for the bottom portion. I'm dying to get to work on these but will have to wait until the new wheel for my surface grinder comes in to taper the tangs. That will probably be 3 weeks from now. I'm extremely behind in the shop as is but I will try to make these a priority as soon as the contact wheel arrives.

These are designed purely for breaching and will hit like a mofo. Even without the tapered tang they have extreme forward weight due to the thickness of the material. This is a big hawk and is nearly 15 inches long and 7 inches wide. Can't wait to see what it can do.

20131101_192017_zpsa1aaa3a8.jpg

20131010_190612_zpsedf1446a.jpg

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Thanks for the interest. To answer some questions-

I can do whatever the customer wants with the poll. Spike, chisel, or flat hammer at no extra cost. The standard will be a chisel.

As for price I think they will be right around $400 shipped with a sheath but that number may change slightly based on how long they take to make.

This is a very small prototype run. I will make any design changes necessary based on customer and professional input and if people like them I will do a big run in the future.

This looks like a well thought out design. Love the form fitted handle and finger recess's near the top. Also the flared but end for slip resistance. Hopefully the tang holes will be large enough to tie paracord through. Hopefully I can swing getting one of these.

On another note: Finally tried my hawk out last weekend - it cut and split beautiful!

Hey Jay,

I designed the middle portion to be thinner to save weight. Its an inch wide and will be around .312 thick after the taper is done. It should still be insanely strong at that thickness.I'm going to try to test one to destruction but I doubt I will get there without using extreme methods.

A nearly 4 years in the making Necro thread update :eek:

I'm calling this model the Breaching Bad. A few changes have been made after some testing including the removal of the finger grooves. The tangs have been tapered down to 3/16th from 3/8th. These are seriously beastly hawks and will pack devastating chopping power. I think this model will good for real breaching use or for a heavy camp hawk that will excel at splitting and chopping. Ill be putting on scales tomorrow.

FullSizeRender2040_zpstwgvpbaw.jpg
6d29eca6-11e9-473a-973f-3016f325e6a4_zpsaelonvjv.jpg

Got one of these bad boys finished up tonight. Apologize for the crappy indoor at night pic. Really happy with how this model has turned out.
I removed the bottom lanyard hole and went with full terotuf scales and a acid etch stone washed finish with satin accents. Balance and weight are on point.

FullSizeRender2041_zpsjqfiq3ed.jpg

That's a lot of tapering! Nice work, man. Are you the one using up all the 80CRV2 around?:D

Awesome! Make mine with a V grind chisel poll for puncturing and opening sheet metal, auto and residential entry doors.

Park,

The tapering took forever. I'm using the travis Wuertz Surface grinding attachment on my KMG and while it gets the job done, its alot of work. I think face milling the tangs before HT may be the way to go in the future if I can get them to come out straight.

Ceptor,

I'll get one done for you with a chisel:thumbsup: You'll have to let me know how it performs on sheet metal.

Here's a better pic of the beast

IMG_1477%201_zpsodih4n8g.jpg

I'm curious as to why the handle scales aren't tapered at the top sloping down toward the steel handle. Maybe going more flat and contured instead of being so proud and squared off at the top where the scales end by the head.

I'm curious as to why the handle scales aren't tapered at the top sloping down toward the steel handle. Maybe going more flat and contured instead of being so proud and squared off at the top where the scales end by the head.

Funny you should mention that. I've actually gone back and sanded down the very top of the scale since posting. There's a 40 degree taper on the scales at the very top but the edge was a little square and could generate some discomfort depending on how high you gripped it. Its now nice and smooth.

Ha! Ha! Nice! Thanks for the update, I think it'll look more finished now and like you mentioned it'll have a smoother profile for looks and in hand. :thumbsup:

Back