1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

New Buck 102 Woodsman

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by Modoc ED, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Our 4-Grandchildren are visiting from Long Beach, CA and while taking them to an old-time gas station/general store combination to show them how things still are in the country, I spotted this Buck 102 Woodsman in the store's glass case and bought it on impulse. I don't know what I'll do with it just yet but will probably carry it inside a coat pocket or inside a fanny pack -- not on my belt or on a pack strap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For those of you that have one of these little knives, what do you use your's for?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  2. Coyote3855

Coyote3855

Jun 17, 2008
    I have an older one that's my fishing knife, or general woods loafing knife.

3. RAZORBLADES

RAZORBLADES

Aug 14, 2006
    I don'rt have one of those,but dang -it now i've been looking at yours and feel i NEED one .lol looks like a great little knife ,congrates!

4. pjsjr

pjsjr Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Just like a puppy...so cute you got to have it and when you get it home you wonder what the heck to do with it:D.

It is a seriously good all round knife, small enough to not be a carry problem large enough for just about anything:thumbup:.

Enjoy it. Preston

5. Stainz

Stainz

Jun 24, 2007
    Neat knife... but stay away from Bass Pro Shops - they have a cherrywood handled/brass fg & pommel version... it's too purdy to nastify! Next size up is the 105 Pathfinder - then the 119 Special. Of course, if you like the old Puma 'White Hunter' style of pregnant ended knives, take a sojourn off to the 103 Weirdo! Seriously, stay away from the 'BR' variants... they are too pretty to use!

Stainz

6. Grateful

Grateful Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 5, 2002
    The 102 is a great little knife and is my go to fixed blade. I bet you will find yours really handy and comfortable to use/carry after a little while. I did.:thumbup:
    Jim

7. Plumberdv

Plumberdv

Sep 26, 2008
    They are very cool little knives and work very well for cleaning trout and pan fish. If you can locate a sheath like mine, you can carry the 102 and a 501 (or medium trapper) in the same sheath. It makes a great little fishing or around the camp combo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Flatlander1963

Flatlander1963 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 28, 2008
    IMO the 102 is about as good a Bird and Trout knife out there.
    Put it to use!!

9. postfallsidaho

postfallsidaho

Oct 11, 2008
    :thumbup: I used to use mine for whitetail deer as well. Its a very well rounded knife. Great design!

I love using my "BR" cocobola knives, and the cherrywoods too!! ;) Half the fun is using a beautiful knife for what it was intended! ;)

Beautiful knives and pictures guys!!! :thumbup:

10. GRIM 62

GRIM 62

Mar 29, 2009
    My wife bought me one of the BP cherrywood and brass 102s,nice wife!I plan on using it as my fishing knife.

11. David Martin

David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Whether you use the folding version or fixed blade 102 I agree with Flatlander . DM :)

12. wolfdog

wolfdog

Oct 4, 2009
    The woodsman is a great knife for pan fish like brook trout. I have a very early forged one with an inverted BUCK stamp that I use as a letter opener now. I need another for field use, but I'm waiting for one with upgraded steel, or a new old stock 440C.

P.S. I always wondered if the 110 was based on the 102 or 105, if they were thinking of a folding version of one of these two knives. Does anyone from Buck know if this was the inspiration for the 110?

13. David Martin

David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Wolf, One could think that . But Buck saw there was a good market opportunity for a large folder and decided to move in that direction . I'm glad they did in light of what we have today . DM

14. BG42EDGE

BG42EDGE Banned

Nov 6, 2009
    I have one that's a bit older but still in pretty good shape.

[​IMG]

It hasn't been worked on.....it's just like new.

:)

15. I4Bucks

I4Bucks

Apr 20, 2008
    I use to use mine as a fish knife when fishing, a cheese and sausage knife when hunting. HL

16. EK20

EK20

Jul 19, 2010
    I absolutely love my Woodsman. It's my current EDC, and I use it for damn near everything. I love the stock sheath, but would love to carry horizontal as opposed to the vertical carry the stock sheath requires.

17. David Martin

David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    EK, Welcome . There are some guys on here that might could make you a sheath to horizontal carry your 102 . They'll be along . DM

18. edbeau

edbeau

Jan 20, 2006
  19. EK20

EK20

Jul 19, 2010
    Thanks for the help guys. :p

I'll have to get some pictures of my Bucks one of these days.

20. Silverdagger

Silverdagger

Dec 18, 2006

That is an awesome sheath you have there.