New Cody Lundin designed knife from TOPS

I'm assuming it was either a misprint in the knife mag, or TOPS was misquoted. I did remember that Joe was credited as the designed in a SHOT show video so I hope that is the case and that he gets proper credit for the knife design.

My guess is Tops probably made the knife and approached Cody with it about endorsement, and someone jumped the gun with the ad.

After that last two or three episodes, it seems that Cody has dropped the Mora in favor of a Finnish Puukko that I think is either the Wolverine or Puukko model sold by Kellam knives, anyone elde pick up on that?

Cheers,
Serge

After that last two or three episodes, it seems that Cody has dropped the Mora in favor of a Finnish Puukko that I think is either the Wolverine or Puukko model sold by Kellam knives, anyone elde pick up on that?

Cheers,
Serge

I too noticed he wasn't using the typical Mora Classic but I couldnt identify which puukko.

Cheers,
Serge

I watched the 'Maine' episode last night and noticed it too, but I couldn't identify the knife. It was a nice looking knife, though.

This thread is awesome for me....I HATE small knives.

but, I love Joe's Shango and Shango-Zilla looks awesome as well, 440-C is the schiznit so incredibly underrated nowadays, just like 5160 was for so long.

I like Lundin but that knife does nothing for me.

It was definitely a Puukko with a 4 1/2" forged blade which would keep with Cody's primative/minimalist mindset. I'm also pretty sure being a puukko fan & user myself, that it was either the the Puukko or the Wolverine .. Another thing I noticed what makes me say this was the Kellam type logo you see embossed on the sheath. I caught a closeup of this during their Kentucky episode..

Cheers,
Serge

I keep trying to get into TOPS knives but every time end up not liking it as much as I thought I would and end up trading it. I wonder if this one would be any different? hmmmmm....

The Tracker in all it's versions is the biggest waste of money offered by TOPS, IMHO. Nothing but a bunch of hype from a hokey 8 year old movie. You'd be better off with a Kabar and a Chicom made machete and still have $400.00 in your pocket at the same time..

Cheers,
Serge

Warning, ranting:

Am I the only one whos getting a bit bored with these "as seen on TV" -designed knives? Three of the most intresting and informative guys on TV, IMHO, are Lundin, Ray Mears and Les Stroud. All three have come up with a knife design that - while functional - do not offer anything new. All these knives have been available in some form or another for years. Why would anyone need them to design a knife like this?

Yea, I know, marketing and all. Its just getting old that there has to be a marketing side and a price tag on everything.

/ Ranting

Well, I guess beside the extra-price for the name on the sheath, these are at least good functional knives. Im old enough to remember the rambo-knives of 80s. At least these knives, even the Bear Brylls -designs, look safe to use.

And, for anyone who wants to buy any of these knives, Im not one to criticise. "Good knife" is a gut feeling at best, and if a knife like this feels right for whatever reason, no problem ;)

Edit:

So one of Cody's friends (also the person that helps run his website and Facebook page) confirmed that this is not his design. It's funny, I'm not a Facebook person but I entered through his site, and saw the above pic that I took, so somebody posted it there I guess :) Anyway, she stated this about the knife:

"If they are It is NOT endorsed by Cody. The ONLY knife he uses is the Mora... If they market it as a Cody Lundin Model, he will be having his attorney contact them."

So that clears that up

I do hope this is true.

Last edited:

Cheers,
Serge

Yeah, I agree, its one of the wolfpack designs. Propably the wolverine.

About my knife in the Baja, Mexico episode... I'm getting a lot of questions about this, so here is the answer. The knife is from Sweden, its an antique, probably 1940's, and was given to me by a friend who got it in Sweden from one of the knife factories in Mora.

That's exactly what I thought, especially after I saw that sheath with its steel lined embellishments along the throat and tip. As for the actual knife, that design hasn't changed, and you can also get it over at Kellam where it falls under the "Lynx" line they carry..

Now all one has to do is get a custom sheathmaker to make one up just like Cody's, grow long hair, and go barefoot. Then you'll be an actual Dual Survivorist, although me thinks if you do, most likely you'll be dualing by yourself..

Cheers,
Serge

Had to check the Mexico episode... he has a different knife there, looks like a mora :thumbup: Thats not the same knife though than in the last episode (Northern Maine)

Ive kinda suspected that Kellams Wolfpack might be made by Ahti puukko (at least they look exactly the same). Ahtis are knives Ive used a lot, I guess that's why I took notice of the knife.

Kinda funny noticing knives in shows like that, but I guess its a sickness most of us here share :D

Funny... I've only ever seen Cody use a basic Mora.

I wonder how much his high tech Mora remake will cost? Les Stroud gets $175 for his. ;)

It's been established that Cody didn't AOK the TOPS ad regarding the scandi grind that they'll be releasing, hence why you've haven't heard more of it..

I also agree with Attej about all these movie or television inspired knives, collectable sure, but to use them as a primary in the field I wouldn't.. Most of them get bad reviews performance wise anyhoo so why waste the scratch when there's something out there that's proven and also pocket friendly..

Personally I've been using Puukkos allot when I go hiking/backpacking for my primary fixed blade.. You cannot beat the weight and the cutting ability of that scandi grind is pretty much unbeatable and great for bushcraft to slicing pepperoni sitting on a rock along the shore of the Hudson..

Cheers,
Serge

It's been established that Cody didn't AOK the TOPS ad regarding the scandi grind that they'll be releasing, hence why you've haven't heard more of it..

I also agree with Attej about all these movie or television inspired knives, collectable sure, but to use them as a primary in the field I wouldn't.. Most of them get bad reviews performance wise anyhoo so why waste the scratch when there's something out there that's proven and also pocket friendly..

Personally I've been using Puukkos allot when I go hiking/backpacking for my primary fixed blade.. You cannot beat the weight and the cutting ability of that scandi grind is pretty much unbeatable and great for bushcraft to slicing pepperoni sitting on a rock along the shore of the Hudson..

Cheers,
Serge

Whoa slow down there. You don't want to be a post whore. :D

I've never really gotten into the scandi for general utility. For wood work the scandi is arguably on top as the best grind out there but I think many people think the scandi is the best grind overall is due to the ease of sharpening. If you're good at sharpening, I still feel the flat or convex grind is superior to scandi for general utility. Not saying you fall into that category I just get that feeling from some. I'd really like the design of this knife if it were a flat grind but it being a scandi, I'll pass.

I talked with Cody last week. He did not design this knife, nor does he endorse it.

Cody Lundin has only two options for a signature knife...

1, Flint knap an obsidian Pukko
2, Borrow NutnFancy's glitter marker to customise a Mora.

Issue resolved.

Cody Lundin has only two options for a signature knife...

1, Flint knap an obsidian Pukko
2, Borrow NutnFancy's glitter marker to customise a Mora.

Issue resolved.

He does have one in the works, but I am not at liberty to say who will be the manufacturer.

Back