1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

New design coming...

Discussion in 'Koster Knives' started by Daniel Koster, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Daniel Koster

Daniel Koster www.kosterknives.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 18, 2001
    I have a new design coming soon. Will be entering the prototype stages in a few weeks. Will probably be wrapped up with finalizing all the changes, etc. to all the details sometime next Spring - with any luck I can start making them next summer. In the meantime feel free to peruse the drawings and let me know what you think. I'm always open to suggestions and ideas.

Basically I want to make a larger sized folding knife with its own fixed-blade twin. It will be made of the same materials the Bushcraft Folder is made from and built in a similar way - just upsized a bit and, more importantly, it will have 2 grinds. I'm not jumping on the multi-grind bandwagon. I just am liking the idea of having both a thin blade for slicing as well as a thicker grind for heavy-duty push cuts.

Here's a screen-cap of the drawings so far:

[​IMG]

The grid is a 1" grid

Both grinds would be done on a 14" wheel, just set at different angles. Sharpening would be over one continuous edge.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Thanks!
    Dan

Attached Files:

2. patrickguignot

patrickguignot

Sep 10, 2015
    I like it... but why a flipper and not a milled slot?
    A flipper tab is annoying in the pocket and ugly to see.

3. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    I feel the same. On these prototypes I'm going to test both kinds. The flipper is too long on this drawing already - I did it that way to allow some testing and fine-tuning. Like I said, I want to give both a try.

4. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    Here are a few more renderings of the 3D model I made. I did these a few months ago and have parts on the way for testing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Grayson Knives

Grayson Knives KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 27, 2012
    I'm a month late to this post—this design looks awesome, Dan!

D.

6. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    Thanks!

Just got in some parts to make a couple prototypes. Will post pics here once I get something functional working.

Dan

7. ManOfSteel89

ManOfSteel89 Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2012
    Hey Dan I'm new to your knives but may be picking up a MUCK from a guy I know. Who does your HT on 3V?

8. Maqua

Maqua

Jan 21, 2005
    I like it! Flipper is ok with me, too.

9. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    ManOfSTeel89 - Peter's Heat-Treat. Set at 59/60 HRc :thumbup:

Thanks, Maqua - I hope to have a prototype to look at in a week or two!

10. Grayson Knives

Grayson Knives KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 27, 2012
    When you get it assembled, I would like to stop by the shop to say hi and see the prototype in-person if you're open to it.

D.

11. lostdog

lostdog

Jun 14, 2015
    That knife looks like it will be BOSS!!!

12. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    Absolutely! :thumbup: