1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

New Marking Laser = BK2 With Full Flat Grind?

Discussion in 'Becker Knife & Tool' started by The Warrior, Mar 11, 2012.

1. The Warrior

The Warrior Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Since KA-BAR has a new marking laser, does this mean we can expect to see the BK2's of the future to have a full flat grind? Perhaps I'll do a mock up.

EDIT: Did a mock up.

BK2:

[​IMG]

BK2 with FFG. Grind can go back closer to the handle:

[​IMG]

I'm basing my question on what Uncle E had to say here: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...limited-edition-bk16!?p=10609180#post10609180

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  2. The Warrior

Mar 11, 2011
    Did a mock up.

3. thrillbilly

thrillbilly Banned

Apr 16, 2011
    interesting...I could go for a FFG 2! I like the looks of the mockup, gives the ol reliable an all new look for Sure!

4. mrn8

mrn8

Jun 8, 2007
    I wonder what this would do to the weight of the blade and the spine strength. If they offered both, it'd be a really hard choice.

5. NixKustoms

NixKustoms Sheath and Knife Maker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2010
    Interested in the answer.

6. clich

clich

Apr 19, 2011
    Hmm I think that for the 2 I'd like to keep all that extra steel. now on a 9 or 7 that may be something.

7. thatotherguy

thatotherguy

Oct 9, 2011
    I dunno. It'd be great as an option, but I kinda prefer having that extra shoulder when batonning, it takes a lot of the pressure off the edge. I for one will be keeping my rollstamped, standard 7 for a while.

8. The Warrior

Mar 11, 2011
    I really like the looks of the sabre grind, hence why I ordered one of the first release 16's. But, after Ethan addressed sabre vs. FFG, it got me wondering about the 2.

9. Wolf_1989

Wolf_1989

Mar 30, 2007
    If the spine remained the same thickness, I don't see how that would change anything about the stength. It would be marginally lighter weight, but probably not more than a couple ounces; would be enough to change the balance a little bit though.

10. The Warrior

Mar 11, 2011
    You could take more steel out of the handle area to help balance it.

11. oXide

oXide

Feb 16, 2012
    I see this as a new beginning for the Becker family's drop point branch, if you have an FFG 2, 11, and 16, then they are all gonna be great at bushcraft, and probably baton through stuff easier, so you essentially get a small (11), medium (16), and a large (2), now, that being said, people are going to want to carry them as a set, so that means people like Skystorm will get busy on custom sheaths and new production sheaths. Now the only thing that's missing is a drop point FFG sword for those that like slicing watermelons in mid air while camping.

But honestly, people are gonna start raiding the Ka-Bar factory if every Becker starts getting laser etched, I know I will!

12. clich

clich

Apr 19, 2011
    can you mock up a 7 and 9 full flat dubz?

13. Skystorm

Skystorm A Cow Flayin' Sheath Making Angry Gnome Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2011
    I dunno, but that BK2 FFG is sexy looking

14. The Warrior

Mar 11, 2011
    Perhaps later I'll give it a whirl. A little more of a challenge for me with the swedge. Also, the ramp would have to go.

15. The Warrior

Mar 11, 2011
    It is different, that's for sure. I think it would be cool to have one. If nothing else, just to try out...

16. MrKnifekid

MrKnifekid

Aug 1, 2011
    Yep...

I would buy one. I love some FFG goodness...

:D

17. FAL'ER

FAL'ER Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2010
    If you look at the eariler BK 2 's BlackJack/Effingham they don't have that roll stamp on them, it's kind of an acid or laser ecthing, it sands right off. I don't think those old 2's are saber/flats. I'm gonna go have a better look.

18. FAL'ER

Mar 31, 2010
    Looks like all generations have that Saber grind on them, so Im presuming thats how the beard wanted it. I'd try one out if they were available though, I'm slutty like that.

19. thrillbilly

thrillbilly Banned

Apr 16, 2011
    of course it does...that goes without sayin LOL

20. FAL'ER

Mar 31, 2010
    I like the ramp so if your inclined could you do one with the ramp?