New Puget Sound patterns

Uuuuhhhh....looking back I realized that this is Peg's thread. Sorry about that Pegs. I hope YOU don't mind the challenge I threw into your thread!!

Pegs, are you going to post pics of the other two Puget Sound's after clean up?

Anyone close to felling a tree with a PS???

I just got a handle, $20 is more than I thought one would be. Now I just have to hang it, limb the tree by my drive way, call the land lord and tell him the tree must go, get him to say ok, then chop it down. Im already tired

A few more photos, plus some links for more info (with photos) on Puget Sound logging:

1905LoggersOnSpringBoards_NearOlympiaWA.jpg

1896UndercuttingTreeWithFllingAxes_WA.jpg

1904SkiddingASkidder_OlympiaWA.jpg

1896YardingOperations_WA.jpg

http://www.mypnw.us/stuff/history/PNW/SnapShots/PNW_LumberPics1.aspx
http://www.mypnw.us/stuff/history/PNW/SnapShots/PNW_LumberPics2.aspx

In this pic from top L is a Sager Chemical 1941, middle low is a Zenith Marshall Wells, top R is the Sager, and bottom R is a Mann Knot Klipper.

Closer upper -
SAM_1058.jpg

Next photo of the handle of the Zenith - you guys know why the handle is that way, right?

SAM_1057.jpg

I love your collection of Puget's.
love.gif

Now I'm gonna throw a fly in the ointment because that's what I like to do.
wink.gif

Regarding the use of that zenith as an underbuck, it's clear that it was used that way. But I would prefer something different for underbucking. First of all I'd change the edge of that axe. The bit is sharpened convex - perfect for chopping because it wont stick in the wood. Perfectly wrong for underbucking because it won't stick in the wood. For an underbuck I want a concave ground bit that easily sticks in the wood.

Secondly, and I know that this is sacrilege on this forum, but I prefer a fiberglass handle for underbucking. Credit the user of that axe, they didn't have fiberglass back then. But fiberglass handles have more spring in them and when they're properly set and loaded they make underbucking a breeze. Lastly, using an underbucking tool makes axe placement a little less critical since you can set the tool anywhere on the handle to line up the cut.

All that aside, it's a really cool axe. The underbuck marks just add to the history of it. It's awesome. I love old Marshall Wells tools.

Thanks Steve...Fantastic photos of yesteryear loggers. I started collecting vintage logging tools awhile ago as my family comes from the U.P. Michigan were there is a strong connection and history of logging. I just can't imagine standing on a spring board, swinging a 4 lb. Puget Sound head on a 44" haft. I know I would hurt myself.

Amazing stuff. It's cool to see how smooth and clean they cut those notch faces even with narrow Puget Sound heads.

Apparently, they didn't worry too much about a head slipping loose or anything. They just faced each other and chopped away. Kinda makes me feel like a Sally for being so careful about where people are at when someone is chopping. That being said, I'll keep being a Sally about it.

To quote my old camp sup. in Camp Baker just west of Mt. St. Helen "We are here to GET LOGS!" Safety was not their main concern in the old days.

The handles are badly warped and need to be replaced."

I've heard that some axemen would intentionally steam their handles into a curve to keep their knuckles away from the face cut when felling big trees. You might not want to re-handle such a classic axe.

Family photo, though I don't get much actual use out of the Sager here in Virginia. The little one is an easier carry on the trail.

40fe9d4f.jpg

44". I got it from the Axe Hole and "octagonalized" it, though the edges don't show in the photo.

I just picked up a Sager Puget Sound for my dad to replace the one given to him by his dad that he lost when out getting a load of firewood. Has a nice octagon handle and a few undercut marks. Will get some pictures of it the next time I am home.

SO.....who's going to be the first to post a bunch of photos and/or video of a felling with a Puget Sound axe????? There's a 3.5lb Kelly Perfect double bit or a yet to be named vintage boy's axe for the first person to post it up!! (Must be your own work and must be done after this post.) Just for fun!!!!!:thumbup:

More pics to follow but consider it done.

Done.JPG

YEAH, PEGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the offer expired by now....Just kiddiing!! More pics are definitely in order though!!

I'll get a PM to you with some options for the "prize" axe.

Back