New Ride

Shorttime

Gold Member
It's Gadgets & Gear, so...

I'm looking for another vehicle. Doesn't have to be new.

I want something in the area of 21 to 25 mpg, all-wheel or four-wheel, and somewhere between six and eight inches of ground clearance. More is good, but higher than that gets into bigger vehicles.

Now, I'm a guy, and I like vehicles that are more square than rounded, but a dualie would be overcompensating. I don't tow or haul, so enough cargo space for a big dog is about all I need.

The obvious choices would be something like an Xterra, or a Chevy Canyon. Did I mention I need real back seats?

I just want to know if anybody has other ideas.

Jeep Patriot?
Chevy Equinox
Ford Escape
Subaru Outback or Forrester

Older subaru forrester, before they made them as big as they do now...maybe pre 2006 or 2007?

Ya know, I've been looking at the Baja. It's un-cool in the same way that the El Camino was.

It's awful big, though. Anybody know what kind of turning radius we're talking about?

Honda Ridgeline would be nice, but maybe a little too big. Its basically a Pilot with the rear cargo area cut into a truck bed. They are not heavy duty rigs, but are all wheel drive, drive nice and get about 20 mpg.

I wouldn't mind an Subbie Baja, I need the bed for dump runs and the odd load of gravel or a lawn mower. They are basically just an Outback with a short truck bed instead of a station wagon.

The Canyon is the GMC branded truck.

I have the standard cab, standard transmission Chevy Colorado LS. It's push-button 4WD, A/C, radio, but not much else - just like I wanted. I get about 22mpg. Not great, but manageable (I have the 4-cyl). With a favorable wind, good conditions, and fresh gas, I once got 27mpg burning a full tank on the highway, but that's an outlier. It's surprisingly good in snow with the stock tires.

I like it pretty well. It drives easily, is pretty easy to park, has moderate clearance. I wish they had used thicker steel instead of double-sheets in several places - no problems to report, but I'd prefer less surface area for long-term corrosion defense.
I got my 2008 at a firesale price during the Great Collapse when the dealers and manufacturers were trying to move product to stay in business. The only extended (not crew) cab available at my dealer was a 2009 model was like 25% more.

-Daizee

Last edited:
Rycen, your link works, and yeah, the only one that is longer in that group is the Colorado. Fuel economy is right in the window, though...

Back