New sk thread

I believe some level of outsourcing helped out with this move.

I'm sure, but the part that concerns me is as much about the materials and the administration as it is about the actual labor.

If the sheaths come from the same supply of sheaths, for example, there is a potential for further delays. I'm pretty sure there have been delays waiting on sheaths before.

Or if the blade blanks are from the same pool, etc etc.

I can't remember if there was discussion of the sheaths but pretty sure some folks here may know more about that subject, good point.

At the end of the day Survive is Guy's baby. He has the tatoo to prove it, so I'm willing to let him run the company and I'll just buy the knives and wait patiently. :)
This is pretty much my exact same sentiment :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Skrapmetal Skrapmetal I forgot about sheaths being a problem so I'd have to go digging, but I thought that was a one time mishap. The main bottleneck has always been the hand sharpening done by one person or more recently the handle fitting done by one person. If the SK line is complete done out of the shop I see that going really well. If the SURVIVE! shop can focus just on outstanding orders that will also be a win. I really want this all to workout just like we're hoping it will.

My concern is the inspection process for the SK line. Even if that involves minimal work, that's now extra workload for the same size staff. Meaning the situation gets worse, not better.

My hope is that either the entire SK process is outsourced (including inspection), or the extra cash flow from those sales allows Guy to hire someone to fill that role.

Guy's quality is stellar, so I'll keep buying the GSO line but I really want this SK line to be a success so he can grow his business.

A little newsletter just got sent out about the preorders for SK and GSO 6s and 12s closing on Monday. The last part of the email stated:

- The next round of preordering is going to be for the GSO/SK-4.5 Bushcraft and the GSO/SK-10. Those will be available once we are closer to starting production on those models.

Pretty cool to see so many models going to the SK line right away. Let's get these puppies moving!

My concern is the inspection process for the SK line. Even if that involves minimal work, that's now extra workload for the same size staff. Meaning the situation gets worse, not better.

My hope is that either the entire SK process is outsourced (including inspection), or the extra cash flow from those sales allows Guy to hire someone to fill that role.

Guy's quality is stellar, so I'll keep buying the GSO line but I really want this SK line to be a success so he can grow his business.
I hear you, there really are just so many unknowns at this point. This excerpt from the website made sense to me:

What about my already existing preorder?

Preorder holders will see the biggest benefit from this change. In the past, we have been trying to increase our production run sizes to meet demand so preorders were only a portion of each run, with there being hundreds of blades for regular sales. Now, the extra materials are slated for SK production, so the SURVIVE! Workshop will be focusing all of our attention on fulfilling existing GSO orders. While this will speed up delivery times, there are still a lot of preorders that we are working our way through. There is no magic button that will allow us to suddenly fulfill those existing orders all at once.

Personally I wouldn't mind if there was no final inspection by S!K staff, but even if there is, it's just the inspection. All the other steps of finishing and sharpening and assembling the knives is being outsourced, so that's how they're coming out ahead.

Like you, I'm hoping this new process is just the ticket for company success!

These are valid thoughts. If anything adds to the boss's work load, it interferes with other things already on his agenda. I run into this all the time. My time is limited and when to many things get "important" or urgent, then it means I am hurting not one, but several customers deadlines because my focus is not on any one task, but divided out over several.

I'm a little confused about the GSO vs SK line. I understand that the GSO line offers more options (20CV, g10 scales etc). But assuming I wanted D3V and micarta handles, why would I choose GSO over SK? What is in the $13 difference? (Actually, that seems to be a sale price on the SK, otherwise the regular prices for both SK and GSO are listed as the same). Wait times?
Just to be clear, I also understand that the GSO lines are receiving more "in-house" attention, but it isn't clear to me what differences I should expect in quality, if any, especially as it doesn't seem to be reflected in any difference in price.
Many thanks to all who can chime in and maybe help me to decide whether to take advantage of this last chance to preorder a GSO or SK6.

Last edited:
For now the prices are relatively close, but my understanding is that down the road the pricing for a genuine, GSO, from the man himself will be more. So at these prices, your chance to get in on the GSO is probably limited.

For now the prices are relatively close, but my understanding is that down the road the pricing for a genuine, GSO, from the man himself will be more. So at these prices, your chance to get in on the GSO is probably limited.
Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated.
The prices are virtually the same but it appears that the SK line might be finished sooner?
S!K certainly has some very intriguing products but getting one...

I'm a little confused about the GSO vs SK line. I understand that the GSO line offers more options (20CV, g10 scales etc). But assuming I wanted D3V and micarta handles, why would I choose GSO over SK? What is in the $13 difference? (Actually, that seems to be a sale price on the SK, otherwise the regular prices for both SK and GSO are listed as the same). Wait times?
Just to be clear, I also understand that the GSO lines are receiving more "in-house" attention, but it isn't clear to me what differences I should expect in quality, if any, especially as it doesn't seem to be reflected in any difference in price.
Many thanks to all who can chime in and maybe help me to decide whether to take advantage of this last chance to preorder a GSO or SK6.
TR had some good information. Here are a few differences I've read about:

Eventually I'm anticipating a lot of differences between the two lines, but you're right, with the parameters you mentioned there doesn't seem to be a big difference.

I don't think anyone has stated what type of finish the SK blades will have, but I'm guessing something like a tumbled or stone washed finish.

We don't know for sure how fast the SKs will be released, but the idea is that the SKs will get to you sooner.

Another unknown is exactly what the fit and finish of the SKs will be.

Since you seem decided on D3V and micarta (and maybe a black sheath), I'd go for the SK if I were you. The GSO 6 is a few models back into the production schedule yet. The SK 6 should be getting worked on sometime next month.

That's my guess, I'm just going off the same information you've seen!

Eventually I'm anticipating a lot of differences between the two lines, but you're right, with the parameters you mentioned there doesn't seem to be a big difference.

I don't think anyone has stated what type of finish the SK blades will have, but I'm guessing something like a tumbled or stone washed finish.

We don't know for sure how fast the SKs will be released, but the idea is that the SKs will get to you sooner.

Since you seem decided on D3V and micarta (and maybe a black sheath), I'd go for the SK if I were you. The GSO 6 is a few models back into the production schedule yet. The SK 6 should be getting worked on sometime next month.

Thanks!
Unless I'm mistaken, both are supposed to go into production soon and preorders for both the SK and GSO models can be made today (last day). But I'll have to check the newsletter again when I finish work.

Good catch on the finish! I didn't notice that. The SK line uses the same D3V and the same fasteners but there's no mention of the finish as far as I could see. I have other blades with a tumbled finish (e.g. S30V) and like it, but the peened finish does seem to hold some advantages for 3V beyond looking very nice in the pics I've seen. Something to consider...

I called last week to change handles on my 4.1 and Guy answered the phone, I asked him about the finish on the SK line and was told it would be similar to the old tumbled finish, but not as intense.

Good catch on the finish! I didn't notice that. The SK line uses the same D3V and the same fasteners but there's no mention of the finish as far as I could see. I have other blades with a tumbled finish (e.g. S30V) and like it, but the peened finish does seem to hold some advantages for 3V beyond looking very nice in the pics I've seen. Something to consider...
Again, I'm just making my best guesses based on the available information on a process that hasn't even happened yet, BUT when I see the GSO 2.7, 4.1, 7/7, LE4, and 12 all ahead of the GSO 6, I want to say that the SK 12 and 6 will be moving through faster if they really get started yet this summer.

I know the plan is for preorders to finish up quicker when they become the main (or only) focus, but they still get all the usual love and attention to detail where as the SKs will be worked through like regular knives.

I called last week to change handles on my 4.1 and Guy answered the phone, I asked him about the finish on the SK line and was told it would be similar to the old tumbled finish, but not as intense.
BOOM!!!! Thanks for the inside information. That is good to have a confirmation on this detail. I can't wait to see what these SKs will look like.

Thanks for the info!
I edited my last post because I made a mistake. Apologies to anyone I might have inadvertently misled! I was at work scrambling to finish something and overlooked the check box at the top of the GSO 6 preorder page (confirming that the order won't be ready for several months) which was why my order didn't go through. So, if anyone is looking to preorder a GSO 6, today is the last chance.

Again, I'm just making my best guesses based on the available information on a process that hasn't even happened yet, BUT when I see the GSO 2.7, 4.1, 7/7, LE4, and 12 all ahead of the GSO 6, I want to say that the SK 12 and 6 will be moving through faster if they really get started yet this summer.

I know the plan is for preorders to finish up quicker when they become the main (or only) focus, but they still get all the usual love and attention to detail where as the SKs will be worked through like regular knives.

BOOM!!!! Thanks for the inside information. That is good to have a confirmation on this detail. I can't wait to see what these SKs will look like.
Me too. Thinking I missed the GSO, I ordered an SK6. Hope I don't regret paying nearly the same as for a GSO. When I discovered my mistake I nearly cancelled the SK, but was swayed by the thought of getting it sooner.
Peened blade and red linen would have been nice, though...

I edited my last post because I made a mistake. Apologies to anyone I might have inadvertently misled! I was at work scrambling to finish something and overlooked the check box at the top of the GSO 6 preorder page (confirming that the order won't be ready for several months) which was why my order didn't go through. So, if anyone is looking to preorder a GSO 6, today is the last chance.
I'm really glad to see preorders being shortened and going off of stock and not time frames. All steps in the right direction!

Me too. Thinking I missed the GSO, I ordered an SK6. Hope I don't regret paying nearly the same as for a GSO. When I discovered my mistake I nearly cancelled the SK, but was swayed by the thought of getting it sooner.
Peened blade and red linen would have been nice, though...
There are definitely some trade offs with both options. I'm pretty frugal when it comes to spending money on my relatively casual hobby compared to some others, but unless the SKs are wildly underwhelming, I imagine they'll still be worth the asking price.

Back