New SnG, Sticky Lock

jstn

Gold Member
Picked up a brand new SnG today with the new lockup and CPM 154. I love this knife and intend on keeping it, but I have 3 days to return it if I need to. The lock on this one is really sticky and quite hard to disengage. I haven't really dealt with any sticky locks before, but I know the sharpie and graphite tricks, but I'm really just concerned long term. Is this a problem that will gradually go away as the knife breaks in or could it be here to stay? thanks

It should go away as it breaks in over time. Try rubbing graphite from a standard pencil on the lock face. It has helped me in the past.

Only time I've seen that on my 3 striders was when it had a small amount of oil on the lock face or bar. Just as a rule I keep a good layer of graphite from a Carpenter style pencil on all my frame locks. I cannot see how it would hurt the knife and it make your lock real smooth and reduce some wear. I did have an issue with my ZT 560 last week end when I was doing some self defense drills at the range where I would drop my pistol and used my zt560 as a last ditch tool and was slashing a thick man sized cardboard box and after a few slashes the lock bar was so stuck I had to use a screwdriver to dislodge it, but not a bad thing if it comes down to a situation when you need to use your pocket knife as a last ditch self defense tool. Id rather have the lock stuck open than close on my hand.

Thanks for the info guys. I was hoping to hear that it would break in over time, as I really want to keep this guy!

I got one about two weeks ago. It was alittle sticky, used the graphite trick and have been opening and closing it incessantly. It has gotten very smooth, but my thumbs were not happy. Good new is I can impress friends by holding the tip of my thumb over an open flame.

Hey guys, it has been about a month and no change in my SNG. I've been using graphite, and switched to Sharpie a fews days ago. When it has one of the two on it the lock is smooth, but when it wears off it is still sticky. I've washed it with dishsoap a few times to make sure there is no lube on the lockface and when the lock is clean it is still extremely sticky. Additionally, when there is no graphite on it the lock tends to over engage. It is normally 50-60% engaged, but when clean it goes to more like 80%. I really don't want to send it to Strider and I don't even know what they could do. Any advice? I really like the knife and don't want to get rid of it but I'm very frustrated with the sticky lock.

1. anything on the lock face or blade tang will only prolong the problem, by preventing any necessary wear to take place.
2. A lock should never be sticky to the point of needing a tool to pry it open. The locking geometry on the mating faces is incorrect, and your knife needs to be returned for repair. It won't get any better in the long run.

Last edited:
1. anything on the lock face or blade tang will only prolong the problem, by preventing any necessary wear to take place.
2. I lock should never be sticky to the point of needing a tool to pry it open. The locking geometry on the mating faces is incorrect, and your knife needs to be returned for repair. It won't get any better in the long run.

Thanks for the advice Dano. Although it hasn't been to the point where I have to use a tool to pry it open, it has been stuck enough to really wear on my fingers. I may just bite the bullit and send it in.

It's pretty aggravating though because I bought the knife from Monkey Edge and asked for it to be thoroughly inspected for any such issues before shipment, and now I'll likely be paying even more money for shipping and insurance to send it back to Strider.

My six Striders are fine. I once returned a CRK Umnumzaan that was sticky and wouldn't give it up. CRK fixed it. I had a HEST 2.0, NIB, that was sticky. I exercised it probably 30 or 40 times and it was fine after that. I've never seen a sticky Sebenza either, and I've had maybe ten to twelve. I've tried the graphite, pencil lead, etc. and don't have faith in it.

You said you have 3 days to return it, couldn't you exchange it for another SNG and maybe it won't have that issue?

Franz, I did have 3 days to return it. It's actually been close to a month now, I just dug the old thread back out instead of starting a whole new one.

Franz, I did have 3 days to return it. It's actually been close to a month now, I just dug the old thread back out instead of starting a whole new one.

My bad i didn't read the thread thoroughly enough. Does Strider heat treat their lock faces the way chris reeve does? Maybe that would help with stickiness but i wouldn't know how to go about doing that. Good luck getting the issue resolved.

Send it to strider. Trust me, they can fix it. They may carbidize the lock face to fix it. They did it to mine. I drove it to their shop and got to watch them work on my knife. Make sure you use ups or fed ex. Do not use usps!

My bad i didn't read the thread thoroughly enough. Does Strider heat treat their lock faces the way chris reeve does? Maybe that would help with stickiness but i wouldn't know how to go about doing that. Good luck getting the issue resolved.

Strider does not heat treat or carbidize their lock faces. They will carbidize a lock face if a blade that is sent in for repair needs it. As I posted above, I got to watch them carbidize mine :D

Back