New SRK in SK-5 Steel

No, I don't think most of the responses were negative. It just depends on what you want to do with the knife. SK5 in the Trailmaster, Laredo and Natchez was very tough and durable steel. That steel was made in Japan of high quality steel, equivalent to 1080 American. With Cold Steel's heat treat and manufacture in Taiwan, SK5 performed very well as a tough outdoor hard use steel and got good reviews before they phased it out in favor of O-1. IAs far as I could tell, there was only a small minority of users who didn't like its performance. I don't know whether this new SRK still uses Japanese SK5 or whether they're now sourcing it from China. As I said, if you check the internet these days, now there are steel websites with SK5 from China, not just Japan. If this SK5 is from China, then the jury is still out as to whether the steel quality is as good as the old Japanese SK5. Only hard use and testing will prove quality. So yeah I do hope the new SK5 is sourced from Japan.
I recently got made in China bushman that I plan to beat the hell out of, when it isn't -30 out and I have a day off

Why argue against good old carbon steel? It is what it is... no more, no less. It has worked for centuries and will continue to work. Pay more $$ for other qualities if you like, but no point in dissing carbon steel.

Good question buddy, I was wondering the same myself. When I start to see goodies show up on U.S. sites I know she's on the way

Knifecenter has them listed pre order for 42 bucks. Hopefully that's not a typo. I'm in for sure.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I've got several SK-5 knives made by Hattori Seki Japan. No complaints. Can anyone verify that mainland China makes SK-5 steel? They seem very married to powdered steel types.
Taiwan and mainland China are different places. We can travel in circles forever talking about the multiple virtues and shortcoming of different steels.
I only have one CS SRK, it's been a very good knife from the old Camillus Carbon V days. I agree that 1095CV is going to very similar. IMHO, if I was getting a new SRK I'd probably go with the aus8 and spend the money saved on other toys.

Do a google search and you'll find steel websites from China. Here is one example: http://www.gdgwsteel.org/product/SK5-high-carbon-steel.html
Click the "about us" button and it says they are in mainland China. Wasn't too happy to find out that a multitude of places in Communist China makes SK5 now also. I previously thought SK5 was a proprietary steel by JFE Steel Corp in Japan. Maybe it is, who knows, whenever something sells, mainland China starts making it and selling it for cents on the dollar.

Just ordered one after seeing a review on YT. I didn't plan to order one in SK-5 because I already own the AUS-8 and the 3V version but it seems that CS changed the grind on the SK-5 version...the edge seems to start nearer at the handle and the big unsharpened part which showed the SRK logo seems to be much smaller now....looks more like the Carbon V model again

Last edited:
The SK-5 SRKs and Recon Tantos are out now; just got a couple of each from CS this week.

Taiwan. I'll have one in hand on Tuesday. Ill try to get some actually pics up then.

I just read a user review on a big knife sellers page where the writer says that the SK5 SRK feels much lighter than the other versions (which I also noticed). He mentions that also the handle feels much lighter (which I thought is because they removed most of the unsharpened part which shows the SRK logo on the other versions) and wonders if the tang isn't as solid as on the other SRK versions. Does anybody have infirmation about the tang on the SK5 SRK?

^^Good question. My older model CV SRK (cordura sheath) weighs 7.75 ozs, my later model CV SRK (concealex sheath) weighs 8.62 ozs, and my new SK5 SRK weighs 7.12 ozs. Quite a variation.

So, instead of taking mine to the doctor to x-ray it I just put a magnet to the handle...the tang seems to go just as deep into the handle as on my other SRKs so the weightreduction should result from the changed grind and leaving out the big unsharpened part infront of the handle

I've got several SK-5 knives made by Hattori Seki Japan. No complaints. Can anyone verify that mainland China makes SK-5 steel? They seem very married to powdered steel types.
Taiwan and mainland China are different places. We can travel in circles forever talking about the multiple virtues and shortcoming of different steels.
I only have one CS SRK, it's been a very good knife from the old Camillus Carbon V days. I agree that 1095CV is going to very similar. IMHO, if I was getting a new SRK I'd probably go with the aus8 and spend the money saved on other toys.

Yip. Keeping an eye on the reviews out of curiosity. My SRK's and Recon Tantos are in AUS8 and I am often busy with other interests at this time. Currently picking up rings and old coins with the metal detectors. Orange cap mushrooms should be around the corner. Maybe then I'll take an SRK out on a shroom hunt/camp fire day. Love the SRK an I will be grabbing the SK-5s when I get back around to that stuff.

Ya I still like my AUS8 SRK's also. But it is hard to pass up on the new SK-5 SRK's as Mora replacements at this price. I hear you about other toys. I tend to only carry folders in the summer when metal detecting. Folks tend to give the stink eye around here when they see anything else, in town. I generally buy in the winter anyway when other activities cease. I did however dig an SRK out a few days ago and will take it out for some camp fire play.

"I've got several SK-5 knives made by Hattori Seki Japan"

Hattori only made one model in SK5, the TV1 which is the same as the SOG S1 bowie.
The only other carbon steel he used was Aogami (blue paper).

Back