1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

New type of Damascus? Spring steel damascus?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by nateman_doo, Mar 19, 2017.

1. nateman_doo

nateman_doo KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 16, 2015
    Has anyone ever wrapped a core of tool steel with an actual spring?

Some snippets of something I have been working on:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still working on it, but I am curious if anyone has ever done it before. The key is to reduce the amount of surface grinding so you can see the pattern more.

2. mete

mete Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2003
    The term "spring steel" is a bit nebulous as many steels have been used as springs.
    For any Damascus it's better to have two steels that have similar HT proceedures but different etching properties . A very popular mix that will work is 1080/15N20. Finding a stainless mix is more complex and etching more difficult.

3. 3fifty7

3fifty7 Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 24, 2016
    Interesting concept, looking forward to see what you turn out.

Sent via telegraph by the same fingers I use to sip whiskey

4. nateman_doo

nateman_doo KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 16, 2015
    True, but that is also an actual spring.. so I get to use the term spring steel with impunity ;)

I am just curious if this is something someone has already done. Hard to break new ground considering men have been hammering steel for millennia

5. nateman_doo

Sep 16, 2015
    Thanks! you and me both!

6. Foot Patrol

Foot Patrol

Mar 5, 2013
    Interesting 63 layers long.

7. kuraki

kuraki KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 17, 2016
    I dunno about providence but I can't wait to see.

8. jdm61

jdm61 itinerant metal pounder Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 12, 2005
    Back in the 19th Century, some dishonest gun makers would wrap a plain iron tube with wire and forge weld it together and past off as a more expensive stub twist or damascus barrel.

9. kuraki

kuraki KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 17, 2016
    I didn't realize Century had been around that long.

10. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    I have seen heaver springs annealed, flattened on a bar of 1095, and forged into a faux-twist damascus. It was OK looking, but nothing to get excited over.

11. Carcara

Carcara

Dec 13, 2005
    30 years ago, I have seen a billet made that way yielding a basic ladder pattern in the end. Nothing new under the sun...

12. jdm61

Aug 12, 2005
    Stacy, did it look like an old stub twist barrel? Those obviously did not have the patterns of the later 'true' damascus barrels, but they had some interesting surface textures, probably from being made from a witches brew of very high grade horseshoe nail iron and buggy spring steel.

13. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    No, it was just parallel lines like a tight twist pattern. Stubb I have seen had a variance of pattern.

I did a demo a few years back of a four layer billet with 4 alternating layers of 1075 and O-1 Each was 1/4" by 1". Once welded up and squared, the surfaces were ground clean. It was then forged round, cleaned up again, and twisted as tight as possible. When forged flat it had a bold twist look that made me think of Vikings ... so I made a dagger from it.

14. jdm61

Aug 12, 2005
    I have wondered if you could created a faux twist or even faux damascus barrel by twisting a really long and fat damascus bar and drilling it out? I particularly wonder about doing it with a really thick round of crush W's and grinding down expose the "firestorm" pattern?
    This thread has me thinking about how you might make a faux twist barrel by using say a big garage/overhead door spring with a core of some other steel.

15. nateman_doo

Sep 16, 2015
    Shape is cutout with the new nickle wrapped core:
    [​IMG]

Should have more pictures soon...

16. nateman_doo

Sep 16, 2015
  17. pleasanthill

pleasanthill Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 12, 2015
    Attachments aren't working for me.

18. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Aug 20, 2004
    They work for me.

19. pleasanthill

pleasanthill Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 12, 2015
    I have no images displayed, just attachment links to this:

vBulletin Message
    Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

Maybe the new system will fix this.

20. 3fifty7

3fifty7 Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 24, 2016
    I see every pic except the last update.

Sent via telegraph by the same fingers I use to sip whiskey