New Victorinox model? Victorinox Swiss Army Day Packer Utility Knife

Have you seen this model before? It has a single blade, clip point, choice of colors, and if I may say so, looks like a variant of the grafting knife.

The Day Packer (I like the yellow):
thumb.php

(Image and description taken from Knifecenter).
"Unlike other Swiss Army Knives, the Day Packer features one clip point blade. The top of the clip point is thick and defined, while the thinner blade is more utilitarian to fit the needs of many users. This clip point blade will perform a myriad of cutting tasks for the casual outdoor enthusiast – a great everyday item and all-around useful tool. Made in Switzerland'

They're "new" for 2012, they were on display at Victorinox's boot at SHOT this year.

Colors are cool, however they're just a modified version of one of the gardening knives.

It's a lot longer than the grafting knife I have. At 4 inches, it probably was meant to be put in a pack and used as a camp knife.

It is a handy little knife, isn't it? I've been carrying a L'Ecureuil, which is a spearpoint variant of the Douk Douk. I also just got a GEC Ben Hogan. Same idea, single blade slipjoint, lightweight and unobtrusive, but useful for most ordinary tasks.

These are the exact opposite of multi-tools, though, doing it all without the specialized blades.

im liking this sak ,,the yellow looks cool !! probably one of my next purchase

When someone gets one, I hope they'll post pix of it next to a 3.5" SAK and a Gardner model.

I just got one and I'm very disappointed. There is only 2" of sharpened blade, but the handle is about 4 inches. A long handle with a short blade just looks and feels weird -- reminds me of a big X-Acto knife.

You're much better off with a simple SAK, such as the Spartan or Alox Solo -- they have a bigger blade and are cheaper too!

I was looking for a non-threatening knife (the purple color is nice), that I could use with food prep and keep with my cooler at picnics/barbeques etc. Any suggestions for a people friendly folder with at least a 3" stainless blade? I might try an Opinel next. Thanks.

I didn't notice the shortness of the blade. This really seems like some executive's idea of a way to make a quick profit without having to innovate anything.

I want to see another CyberTool-caliber innovation out of either Wenger or Victorinox soon. They're Swiss companies, so the innovations don't exactly come fast and furious.

I agree with goalie39. My initial feeling was disappointment. It looks a bit awkward to me as well. Here are some photos of it next to a Pioneer (91mm) and a Sentry (84mm). The blade length almost the same as the Sentry. I am probably going to try an Alox Solo (the Pioneer is not mine).

IMG_2364.jpg

IMG_2365.jpg

Thank you for the pictures - very enlightening! I like the clip point, but the blade length is a turn off.

I felt the same way the first time I handled the Gardener - too little blade for the handle. After a little while though I found I didn't really mind it. Having the longer, thicker handle means a better grip for me and in the role Victorinox makes these knives for (outdoor work) I think that's a good thing. Would it be cool if the same frame had a larger blade? Yeah, but that doesn't make the current setup less appealing to me after using it.

...then again, Nate has a point. I think there's more benefit, most of the time, to a full size handle and a blade that is just "big enough."

I wonder if we'd have been disppointed if we'd noticed ahead of time that it has a shorter blade?

I also wonder if this is Victorinox's attempt to make a knife for Americans. Lots of traditional American knife designs are one bladed, and the preferred blade shape is clip.

I may pick one of these up after all.

It would be cool if they offered that blade in other models,I like clip points!But,I might get one of those for work.

I have the "pruner?" or gardner model which is a 89mm if I measure correctly and has a 2.25" sharpened edge. Sorry no pics. Think I got it as a twofer somewhere along the way. w/ Hicker? The sheepsfoot chisel ground blade works well for me as a friendly EDC. Red handle with short non pointy blade-whats to be afraid of? I can just strop on pants on "flat side" and bring back the edge during the day and sharpen bevel side later at home. I think that the light single blade is great but I do feel (thanks guys) sumwhat under-knifed IF the ever popular SHTF occurs on those days and sometimes sneak along a larger heavt duty tactical folder in a rear pocker.

Back