1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Next batch on deck

Discussion in 'Turley Knives' started by bindlestitch, Dec 21, 2010.

1. bindlestitch

bindlestitch Moderator Moderator

Oct 23, 2006
    This batch is all screwed up.

[​IMG]

From top left
    1/4" thick modified blade dogwood..with a pommel plate
    machete/golok for testing
    5/32" thick dogwood
    Soldier river
    Niangua river
    bottom row
    Soldier river
    two salt creeks
    1/4" thick dogwood, this one shouldn't exist. I screwed up and cut a regular pattern dogwood out when I was supposed to be cutting out the modified dogwood up top. So this one might be up on the site if I finish it this round.
    There's only five for sure for order in this batch. I haven't heard back from the customer who wanted the niangua so it might be on the site when it's done , too. There was supposed to be another soldier river but I never heard back on it so I moved it off the orders list.
    This has been a weird batch so far.
    But I've got the z-sere generation one and two getting ready for handles.
    The generation one will be on the site soon if testing on the generation two goes well.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking,
    Iz

2. skab8541

skab8541

Dec 6, 2006
    Yes! About time mines coming together!

Lookin good Iz. 5 months of waiting should be well worth it.

3. j williams

j williams Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 14, 2005
    Those look sweet. Cant wait till my name comes up on the list. I need to get something on paper of what I want.

4. IA Woodsman

IA Woodsman

Sep 21, 2009
    Really likin the big chopper.

5. ohski

ohski

Apr 24, 2009
    Yea Iz... the chete is looking gooooooood...! And I think I'm going to order a salt creek. That little guy looks very useful.

Ski

6. bindlestitch

Oct 23, 2006
    Thanks, guys. I appreciate it.:thumbup:

Just got in from the shop and had dinner, trying to get this batch done before Friday...we'll see.
    Iz

7. bindlestitch

Oct 23, 2006
    Got 'em ground today. Four heat treated.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got a little done on the z-seres , too.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking,
    Iz

8. j williams

Nov 14, 2005
    Whoa, that chete is badass.

Nice!!!!

9. skab8541

skab8541

Dec 6, 2006
    They all look bad ass, but mine is looking SWEET!

10. cddogfan1

cddogfan1

Jul 15, 2008
    Good to see my dogwood (5/32) in this batch.

11. Ridge-Runner

Ridge-Runner

Jan 21, 2010
    Put teak burl or olive wood on a sandwich spacer set up on that Niangua river
    if the order falls thru ;).

12. j williams

Nov 14, 2005
    I agree. :thumbup: Id like to check that one out.

13. bindlestitch

Oct 23, 2006
    Thanks, guys I appreciate it.
    I heard from the customer on the Niangua, they're good to go so it won't be up for grabs.
    Iz

14. bindlestitch

Oct 23, 2006
    So I slacked on Friday...and I put in a little time the evening to kinda make up.:5:
    I heat treated the next four in the batch so now there's only the golok/machete to heat treat Monday. Hope it goes well, thin 1095 with that long of a blade always scares me some.
    [​IMG]

So the z-sere generation 2 is done. I'm glad it wasn't for a customer because I screwed up the handle. As you can see I got overzealous and ground through the outer brown g10 into the green underneath. Oh well, it'll work for using.

Thanks for looking ,
    Iz

15. bindlestitch

Oct 23, 2006
    So I heat treated the golok/machete (gonna have to name it, that's getting old) today. I coated it and went for a sloppy hammon, which I kind of like versus a nice neat squiglly line.
    Anyway, this is what it looks like after tempering and hitting it with a 120 grit belt on the grinder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm actually thinking of leaving it just like this, only sanding up to 400 grit and leaving the hammon rough and scaly looking. As opposed to shining it all up and having a subtle hammon.
    What do you guys think? Clean it up or leave it rough?
    Iz

16. pitdog

pitdog

Apr 13, 2007
    It looks awesome, leave it rough !;)

17. JustJoel

JustJoel Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2010
    I think you should call it 'The Daisy'. (You know.... like 'pretty as' or like the cutter. :D)

I think it depends on the handle. I would say leave it rough and wrap it and see if you like it. If not, unwrap and finish it.

Either way sir, the hammon is killer. Really well done.

-JP

18. bindlestitch

Oct 23, 2006
    Thanks, guys.
    I've been convinced by you all and the guys on my other forum that rough is the way to go.
    No wrap though, not my bag baby.;)
    If I don't screw it up here's the handle I have planned. Black linen bolster with two brass pins. Thin black spacers, brown canvas micarta scales with 1/8" black pins. We'll see, that's a lot of opportunity for me to screw something up with all the different materials.
    Iz

19. skab8541

skab8541

Dec 6, 2006
    I like the sounds of that Iz. Should look real classy.

20. bindlestitch

Oct 23, 2006
    Next batch up to bat.

[​IMG]

A dogwood (not shown), a soldier river, a green river, a gasconade, a boone's branch, a one shot and two prototypes.
    This one has quite a bit of variety in it.:thumbup:
    Iz

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011