1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Next Project... a take down.

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by tryppyr, Jan 13, 2012.

1. tryppyr

tryppyr KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 5, 2010
    I haven't really decided what I want to make yet, but I have decided I want it to be a take down. In part this was inspired by Patrice's latest, but mostly it was inspired by building a grinder. I've become enamored with using the tap and die set, so I want to do it again on this project.

To start with I have an 11" piece of 1084 that has a built in hamon ;)

[​IMG]

I'll do some drawing tonight and post what I think looks good this weekend.

- Greg

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  2. cbr900son

cbr900son

Mar 3, 2011
    Heh i've been really wanting to try one too. Lets come up with a design and make 2 versions of the same knife! LOL

3. tryppyr

tryppyr KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 5, 2010
    I'm game... but most people don't like my designs. ;) Or at least they have no interest working on them.

- Greg

4. cbr900son

cbr900son

Mar 3, 2011
    If you really want I'm game also. I make knives cause I enjoy the challenge. Hell every now and then one of them is nice enough to give or sell too! lol. I enjoyed awhile back when Lorein did a pay-it-forward with 3 of his designs and seeing different ways people did his design.

5. tryppyr

Feb 5, 2010
    Here's my first take on the blade profile. I've selected this one over a couple of much less conventional shapes (that I'll eventually get around to attempting). :) I haven't drawn the handle or guard, yet, but you should expect them to be similarly simple designs.

[​IMG]

6. cbr900son

cbr900son

Mar 3, 2011
    I like it! I can kinda see what i would do with the blade already

7. tedinatl

tedinatl

Nov 1, 2010
    Very cool project, Greg.

I'm busy with a fighter that I now wish I had made a takedown. It isn't glued together yet, so I guess I could still change it. Other problem is that the blade is stainless, so I'm not sure how I'm going to weld the screw end to it.

8. cbr900son

cbr900son

Mar 3, 2011
    I remeber seeing someone cut a slot smaller then a threaded rod and ghammering it in or something.

9. tedinatl

tedinatl

Nov 1, 2010
    Yeah, I remember reading about that. Would be an option if the steel wasn't already at 61 RHC!

10. cbr900son

cbr900son

Mar 3, 2011
    LOL yeah that could be a little tough!

11. Mike Davis

Mike Davis

Feb 7, 2006
    You can still weld to SS. Just keep in mind that you need to keep the blade cool, and that the area welded will probably air harden as it cools. Maybe wrap the blade in a wet towel.

12. richard j

richard j

Apr 1, 2007
    make one like i did here http://mysite.verizon.net/ress6fq6/id31.html

i hand ground the end so i could thread it after marking the centerline of the tang on both sides. just make sure the tang is soft enough for the die to cut.

13. broe

broe

May 8, 2011
    wow....all that metal and no full tang?

14. tryppyr

Feb 5, 2010
    Yeah, well... I'm not really a fan of full tang.

15. cbr900son

cbr900son

Mar 3, 2011
    Gonna finish up a project today then get some paper out and come up with some ideas for that blade design of yours.

16. tryppyr

Feb 5, 2010
    Today I used my new grinder on the new bench to get this blade profiled. I gotta say, I LOVE how the new bench brings the work close enough for me to see. I was able to control the bandsaw batter, and the grinding is all right where I can watch now. I was even able to rough in the choil with the grinder.

[​IMG]

17. Patrice Lemée

Patrice Lemée

Aug 13, 2002
  18. tryppyr

Feb 5, 2010
    I just spent the last hour at the grinder, and I must say, I have no skills with a grinder. Good thing I decided not to use damascus yet. Anyway, I've cut the plunge midway up what I suppose is the choil (even though it won't serve the purpose of a choil. Not ready to post another pic yet. I want to see if it is possible to clean up the mess I've made of the bevels. ;)

19. wolffbite

wolffbite

May 7, 2010
    Don't worry about it greg... i still file in my plunges and i've been using a grinder for a while. Why do you think I never post photos between the profiled blade and the first stage of hand-sanding? :D

20. FTO_dude

FTO_dude

Jun 30, 2009