1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Next two on the bench...Twins!

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Patrice Lemée, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Patrice Lemée

Patrice Lemée

Aug 13, 2002
    Well since the Persian Dagger has to be put on hold until I can get a microscope to engrave, time to move on.
    These are ready for HT. My first foray into Damascus (Alabama Damascus). Both started life exactly the same. The hunter will get a more traditional treatment and the other evolved into something of a fighter and will get the "Patrice" treatment. ;) Both will get a laminated stainless guard as you can see prototyped here. Of course the fighter might have a little "funkier" one. :D

[​IMG]

Comments, ideas, laughs welcomed. ;)

2. winterbear

winterbear

Jul 24, 2009
    love the blades love the wood love the stacked gaurd, like most all of your work to date very inovative, but you have the explain what you were going for with the right handle template :) seems odd I just can't get it,
    i see that you just took the bottom flair off the other esentially but why? I immagine a more historically shaped handle for that one maybe a ball end with some carved details ?
    Chris

3. Patrice Lemée

Patrice Lemée

Aug 13, 2002
    Thanks Chris, glad you like them. The fighter's handle is suppose to be pointier/horn like. Always liked that shape and wanted to try it. Still not sure how it9 is going to work but the cardboard cutout is comfortable. It may end up as a take down with a pommel as you say but most likely basically keeping the same shape. In any case, I'll try to make it lets say interesting.;)

4. Salem Straub

Salem Straub KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 20, 2008
    I bet the stacked guard turns out very cool. Nice to see that you are getting some time in the shop these days!

5. panch0

panch0

Jun 16, 2008
    I like the profile Patrice, The one on the right will be interesting to see with the different handle shape. What kind of spaulted wood is it? Maple?

6. Daniel Fairly Knives

Daniel Fairly Knives Full Time Knifemaker Moderator

Jan 9, 2011
    I'll be watching this one for sure! Looking good!

7. Patrice Lemée

Patrice Lemée

Aug 13, 2002
    Yes Frank, stabilized Spalted Maple from my friend Denis Paish. I like the pattern and can't wait to see if I can't play it up somehow.

Not as much time as I would like Salem but I am still grateful for the time I can put in.

Thanks for the good words.

8. jonnymac44

jonnymac44

Sep 27, 2007
    Nice, Patrice. I like them both. The one on the right intrigues me quite a bit. The handle shape is really cool looking!

9. Patrice Lemée

Patrice Lemée

Aug 13, 2002
    Thank Jonny, I can't wait to start work on that handle. Got a few ideas in mind but I have to force myself to keep things simple. Always a hard thing for me. :(

10. Patrice Lemée

Patrice Lemée

Aug 13, 2002
    Well of course they ended up growing a threaded end. :( Heat treated and going in for tempering.

[​IMG]

Laminated guards started.

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking.

11. jonnymac44

jonnymac44

Sep 27, 2007
    Hmmm, interesting developments!:D Looking forward to more Patrice.

12. panch0

panch0

Jun 16, 2008
    I am sorry Patrice but you are going to have to move a little faster on these buddy. I don't think knifemakers have much patience for this kind of procrastination! Just kidding, I am looking forward to seeing the progress on these!

13. Patrice Lemée

Patrice Lemée

Aug 13, 2002
    I am sorry Frank, I do my best.
    I wish I could be the fairest instead of the slowest of them all. :eek:;)

14. Patrice Lemée

Patrice Lemée

Aug 13, 2002
    Forgot to add: As far as the heat treat is concerned, these spent a little time in the spa first for stress relief, 1 hour at 1200F and cooled in the kiln. (Thanks to Josh Dabney for the tip). Then soaked 10 minutes at 1550F and a dip in the hot tub of Parks 50 for about 7-8 then clamped between my AL plates to finish cooling. (Again, clamping idea courtesy of Josh). And all the pampering paid off cause they came out straight as an arrow!:thumbup: Of course these are not very long but still, I can warp any size blade. ;) Final temper at 350F for 2 hours, twice.
    What would I do without Josh. :D

15. panch0

panch0

Jun 16, 2008
    Patrice, did you heat treat before growing the threads or did they grow pre heat treat?

16. Patrice Lemée

Patrice Lemée

Aug 13, 2002
    I welded them on pre heat treat Frank. Steel was still soft so I did not need to anneal the tang for it as I would have had to do post heat treat.

17. Patrice Lemée

Patrice Lemée

Aug 13, 2002
    Well 4 hours of grinding, sanding, etching, etc. and here we are. I sharpened the picture but the Damascus is nowhere as dark as this in real life. Tried a little cold blue, some boiling in sodium bicarbonate but I can't get a darker etch. There must be a way but this is my first time so more reading to do. But it will be good enough to move to guards and handle tomorrow.

[​IMG]

Thanks for watching

18. WilliamWoods

WilliamWoods

Apr 22, 2011
    Ferric chloride works like a charm on damascus etches.

19. Josh Dabney

Josh Dabney

Nov 23, 2008
    Pat,

I'm not the one to give advice on etching damascus.

I would point out though that an in-depth description of your process from final finish pre-etching to your picture will help others help you.

Could be several sources of your issue but difficult for someone to nail down without more info ;)

Blades are looking GREAT !

Take care- Josh

20. Patrice Lemée

Patrice Lemée

Aug 13, 2002
    Josh, blades were sanded to 1000 then cleaned and etched 5 minutes in 10:1 Fecl. Rinsed, sanded with 2000 then re etched for another 5 minutes.
    Boiled both blades in a solution of water and baking soda (no idea on the right quantity of baking soda I need for this).
    One blade was wet sanded again with 2000.
    The other was sanded then cold blue was applied. Rinsed after 2 minutes and sanded with 2000 again. Then polished with Flitz.

The cold blued one did come out darker but I would still like better contrast. Maybe it has more to do with the steel used.
    If anybody sees something I do wrong, feel free to chime in.

Thanks