Nice lil' Score! Norlund mini Hudson Bay Hatchet!

Hi all,

While at a "Flea Market" in "Down East" Maine, I found a sweeeet lil' Norlund Hudson Bay Hatchet for twenty dollars! Truthfully, I was rather shocked the person selling this lil' Hatchet asked only twenty dollars since he was asking higher on his other Axes. At any rate, I asked "how much ?", he said, twenty dollars.....without saying a word, I pulled out my wallet and handed him a 20 dollar Bill and said thank you. These (borrowed pixs) show the same model but my Hatchet is in better overall shape/condition.
19125532_1497179280333760_1825648305_o.png

Overall measures 11 5/8", hatchet head measures 5 1/4" long. Measures 3 1/8" across blade edge.
19096240_1497178900333798_2069524488_o.png

I paid about 4$ for mine. That was 1971. Still have its original scabbard too
Considering Norlund internet axeboner sprouted of recent years, I say you got a good deal$$.

Hi guys,

LOL, wow, four dollars in 1971. I paid FIVE TIMES what you paid! Lie, you are indeed correct, NORLUND prices have been out of sight of late. I think I got one HECK of a deal. In fact, the same Hatchet sold on Ebay last night and (with Shipping) sold for seventy five dollars! RJ, thanks for that very cool ad. I copied and posted to my FB page.

Regards,
HARDBALL

I bought the same hand axe for $2 at an estate sale last month....EBay hasnt killed that market yet.

Hi all,

I found an interesting video on why the Norlund Voyageur is NOT a good Camp Hatchet! So, the questions begs, are there GOOD uses for this small Hatchet ?

HARDBALL

Hi all,
So, the questions begs, are there GOOD uses for this small Hatchet ?

HARDBALL

Sure. Profit!

I picked up one of these in an antique shop a fews years back. Like new, original sheath, still had the orange seal on top. I promptly tripled my investment on ebay.

I guess that settles it. Little Norlunds are only good as highprice collectables.
Some twat on Youtube made a video what said so.

Just to buck Youtube consensus, I will keep using mine for camping & garden task.

Here is a summary of his video points:

1. 1968 OA Norlund, a subsiderary of the Mann Edge Tool Company.

2. President of the METCo travelled to a Scandinavian country to learn about advanced axe making techniques.

3. Made for 18years – 1968-1986.

4. He described the basic restrictions of National Forest campgrounds where foraging for wood is not available allowed. Campers will buy bundled wood and will use the axe to process it smaller.

5. “Where one does not delimb trees, carve feather sticks, or carve eating utensils”

6. Campers may want to carve a splitting wedge, baton, or a walking stick.

Six limitations of the Voyager:

1. Price. They have become expensive depending on condition.

2. Head shape. Pattern is good for felling trees but poorly suited for splitting wood. The overstrike zone is over 1.5” long.

3. Cheek grind. The Voyager has a high center line and tapered cheeks. This forces wood to stick more as well as increase the chance of pushing split wood toward the handle. Most Woodcrafters prefer flat grinds for splitting logs.

4. Head weight. It weighs 14oz. Limits penetration.

5. Handle length. It is 11 inches long. Hatchets with shorter handles are easier to pack but hatchets with longer handles (12-15”) are safer and more efficient splitters.

6. Sheath. The sheaths are rough – either thong or buckle.

Positives of the Voyager:

1. Bit Hardness. They seem equal to that of other quality axes.

2. Bit Thickness. Better for splitting logs than thinner bits.

3. Handle Material. Nice Hickory handle with exceptional fit and finish.

4. Handle Grain Orientation. Handle grain orientation is very good.

5. Out of Box Sharpness. Even after 47years it is still sharp.

I guess that settles it. Little Norlunds are only good as highprice collectables.

Just to buck Youtube consensus, I will keep using mine for camping & garden task.

Why not?

People also say that the Vaughan sub zero hatchet is too small to be useful, but I know they're wrong.

Wow, none of the cons are cons! Looks like a very handy little tool, perhaps a better weight and size for that pattern than the more popular celebrity size.

I was camping the last few days and the folks at the next camp had a Voyager. It sufficed for driving tent stakes and splitting kindling. For the most part they're like any other small hatchet - useful for many tasks.

The biggest difference between the Voyager and any small other small hatchet is the resale value. People hold them in higher esteem for no functional reason.

I brought a True Temper claw hatchet. Cost far less than a Norland. Works better. Drives stakes. Pulls stakes! Splits better. Carves well - I made some splitting wedges.

To each their own. If a Voyager makes you feel good and gets you using it then it's the right axe for.

I was camping the last few days and the folks at the next camp had a Voyager. It sufficed for driving tent stakes and splitting kindling. For the most part they're like any other small hatchet - useful for many tasks.

The biggest difference between the Voyager and any small other small hatchet is the resale value. People hold them in higher esteem for no functional reason.

I brought a True Temper claw hatchet. Cost far less than a Norland. Works better. Drives stakes. Pulls stakes! Splits better. Carves well - I made some splitting wedges.

To each their own. If a Voyager makes you feel good and gets you using it then it's the right axe for.

I think that was well put. There is also a tendency to disregard things due to collectibility/cost.

On that note, the Hudson Bays in general remind me somewhat of some of the German patterns like the Rhinelander - large to small. For those that the Hudson Bay's shortened eye is a turnoff from a handle purchase point of view they might worth a look? They have a similar exaggerated bit to poll shape and come in comparable weights. You don't get high center lines or convex cheeks but they did the job for quite a while :)

The Wetterlings version shared around here seem beefier in general as well as the unmarked/ridged eye version (True Temper version is what I have in mind). The "Montreal" patterns also are similar in build but have more "meat" on them.

*My apologies for straying from the subject.

No apologies necessary. I needed another Hatchet/Axe like a hole in the Head but, I know little Hatchets of most any decent make are collectable.
I mean, I just couldn't pass up the NORLUND for twenty dollars. I also have (being re-handled) by Jarrod of H&B Forge a sweet little NORLUND Double Bit (mini)
"Saddle Cruiser" Hatchet. I think the two Norlund's will make a lovely pair!

Ha! Just happened to find this (borrowed,thank you) picture :
78426ce28fc6f0c038c3d7ab08468374.jpg

HARDBALL

I think much of the appeal is because there's not much else out there in this size. They're significantly smaller and lighter than the typical 1 1/4 pound scout hatchet. Yet closer to "normal" sized than the (even rarer) mini Vaughan/Craftsman 8oz. Does/did anyone make a 12 to 14 ounce hand axe with a high centerline?

I also bought one of these for $20 a couple years ago. I gave it to a good friend who wanted a small hatchet to carry trapping.

I think much of the appeal is because there's not much else out there in this size. They're significantly smaller and lighter than the typical 1 1/4 pound scout hatchet. Yet closer to "normal" sized than the (even rarer) mini Vaughan/Craftsman 8oz. Does/did anyone make a 12 to 14 ounce hand axe with a high centerline?

I also bought one of these for $20 a couple years ago. I gave it to a good friend who wanted a small hatchet to carry trapping.
You do know that Vaughn still makes their sub zero hatchet right ?
Imicasa also makes a little 1lb hatchet for marbles, and It's way better than their china hatchets ( I've got the double bit hatchet )

Yes, I know, and have been thinking about getting another one since my daughter claimed mine. But I doubt that's what folks have in mind when they go shopping for a compact camp hatchet. And I'd be surprised if most folks even know they exist. I didn't, until Dad brought one home from an auction.

I saw one of the Marbles hatchets at a show a while back, and was put off by their thick edge geometry. Some time with an angle grinder might improve them.

Hi all,

Tonight I got curious so I had to check my collection of Hatchets/Axes. THE smallest Hatchet (Head) I have sits atop a vintage MARBLE'S SAFETY HATCHET.
I don't know how useful this would be as a tool but, it's sure damn cute! Even with it's all metal handle (and metal safety blade cover) it weights 21.75 ounces
(with missing slabs). The next smallest Hatchet Head in my collection (one that I can not I.D.) has a Blade that is 2.5" and the O.A.L. is just a tad over 4.5" long and the Head weights 13.05 oz. It too is pretty cool (albeit small). After that, the NORLUND Voyager at (20.05 ounces) followed by my (early curved handle) GB Wildlife Hatchet at (22.05 ounces). Size wise, both the overall length and blade length of the Voyager and Wildlife Hatchet are pretty darn close in size except the Handle length on the GB Wildlife Hatchet is 14.5" long vs. the Voyager with it's 12" Handle. Still, I like em both!

HARDBALL

Back