1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Nick Shabazz Sebenza Review Round 2

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by Ianmorrow21, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Ianmorrow21

Ianmorrow21

Nov 19, 2015
    This video is a tabletop review by Nick Shabazz of a small Sebenza 21 insingo with micarta inlays. Nick is pretty well known on Youtube for his well thought out gear reviews, and I think he has a lot of interesting things to say about knives. About a year ago he posted a video about his plain Jane small 21 insingo that he owned for only 36 hours before selling. Per the advice of viewers, he gave the Sebenza another shot. This the second time he has reviewed this knife.

What do you make of this review? What are your thoughts? I agree with some of his points, and disagree with others. I would like to see what you all think, and get a discussion going!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDXNoPlpOBM

2. marthinus

marthinus

Dec 10, 2006
    What are specific points you would like to discuss?

There are a lot of personal opinions on a Sebenza be it this youtuber or members of this forum and knowing what points you would like to discuss would improve the discussion you are looking for.

3. RyanRaben

RyanRaben Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 10, 2014
    I watched his original video about the Sebenza. I was a subscriber of his for a short while.

I enjoy watching YouTube videos. Especially in our knife culture, like Jim Skelton, ApostleP, etc... But if I watch the reviews of knives I own and the reviewer does not appear to have the same feelings towards a knife as I do (which is ok this is a free country) I do not keep watching. I will be making expensive purchases, sometimes based on a YT review. I bought two Begg knives based on Jim Skelton's reviews... but felt comfortable doing so because he reviewed and loved other knives I already owned. Nick not only dug into the Sebenza on his initial review, but dug into a few other knife brands I love so I unsubbed and moved on. Even if he comes around in his new video there are other videos on other knives that him and I just do not agree on.

4. 9Nine

9Nine Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 27, 2014
    He makes some good points. The Sebenza has its flaws and certainly isn't for everyone. I think people who are considering buying a Sebenza for the first time (unless they've got a lot of cash to spare) should hear multiple opinions on the subject before making a decision.

5. pwrdbycotn

pwrdbycotn Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 17, 2015
    I think he sounds like Prof John Nerdelbaum Frink from the Simpson's. With that said, I don't put much weight into what some Simpson's character has to say, even if it is Mr Nerdelbaum. I would look for reviews from people who actually use the products that they are reviewing. I trust a carpenter's review of a claw hammer. I trust a soldier's review of weapons that work well even when full of sand. I guess I would trust Nick Shabazz if he wanted to tell me how to do a good hand puppet, but even then I would be weary. Just because someone has a camera and a pair of hands doesn't mean they know anything.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  6. wtlj

wtlj Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 30, 2014
    Redundant mindless chatter IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Iron City

Iron City Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 15, 2005

Gotta stop eating breakfast (grits again) while browsing BF. Cleanup in aisle 7... where is that dog?

8. River3955

River3955 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 13, 2016
    I am surprised by the reaction to his Sebenza video. I think his factual review of the "Spermy" bottle opener demonstrated that he is a voice we need to value. :rolleyes:

[video=youtube;hTuUxSDNMHE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTuUxSDNMHE[/video]

9. MessOnAMission

MessOnAMission Gold Member Gold Member

May 4, 2016
    I would've thought that the diehard fanboys of arguably the most iconic folding knife could handle a little dissent without resorting to ad hominems, but I guess not. Nick makes some good points, he has some great disassembly videos, and he doesn't take himself too seriously.

10. madcap_magician

madcap_magician Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2005
    I don't always agree with the fellow, but his voice and accent crack me up. I could listen to him talk about random crap all day.

11. kidcongo

kidcongo Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 12, 2013
    I like Nicks style, but his lack of knowledge about actually using a Sebenza or any real carry time with the knife shows. The Sebenza is a design that shows its strong suit when you use it over time, which is true of any highly refined peice of gear. Knee-jerk reviews are just that. It's only after you have it a while that you start to understand the thought that went into the thumbstud, the ergos, blade design etc.

I agree that the knife doesn't seem worth it to an armchair quarterback, but to someone actually needing a pocket knife that they want to use for many years of their life, his critiques seem a little naive. Still an entertaining guy, but like Jim Skelton, his reviews are more for knife-fondlers than they are for actual users.

Taking pot-shots at the Sebenza is certainly good for channel ratings, but if you want to do your job as a reviewer of such an iconic blade, you should actually use it for a while IMHO. Just my two bits.

BTW: This is what your Insingo looks like when you are speaking from experience:

[​IMG]

12. hotbossa

hotbossa Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2006
    He makes some good points but I just can't get over his voice. Whinny, nasally voice.

13. gull wing

gull wing Basic Member Basic Member

May 4, 2002
    Bam! That was right on Cody.:D Good point.

14. pwrdbycotn

pwrdbycotn Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 17, 2015
    ^This.
    Somebody who has had in their possession, but never actually used, whatever it is they are reviewing, doesn't really have a valid opinion. Mr. Jazz Hands and his opinions just don't carry any weight, at least not with me.

15. mbp

mbp Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2015
    Your post seems derisive and maybe a bit arrogant. There's no mysticism about owning and using a Sebenza. If the ergos don't work for you--and the Sebenza has poor ergos for me as well--they just don't work.

I agree with just about all of Nick's review. I use all of my knives, even my $1,000+ customs. I owned both a large and small sebenza, and used them both. They had hotspots in use for me, and that's not going to change just because I use the knife more. My hands might callous over in the right spots, but why bother doing that when I can just use knives that actually fit my hand and feel good in use?

The Sebenza was a great design in 1987, a groundbreaking design, and it is still an absolute classic. Like any knife, probably moreso than most, it is worth owning for a lot of folks. But it is not a perfect knife, it's not for everyone, and in a lot of ways the world of knife design has improved upon the Sebenza. Chris Reeve himself has acknowledged that by producing the Mnandi, Sebenza 25, and Inkosi. Doesn't mean the Sebenza isn't a great knife, but it's not the Platonic ideal and it seems some fanboys can't accept that without getting incensed.

16. kidcongo

kidcongo Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Wow.....a review of my review of a review of a review. That's gotta be a record!

Anyways.....you got me all wrong. I'm not any of those things, so don't bite. I'm just an average fella who happens to have a keen eye for the truth. Reviewing knives you haven't used is still bunk in my books, and rightfully so.

17. wtlj

wtlj Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 30, 2014
    [emoji1303][emoji1319]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. clearkevin

clearkevin Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 7, 2014
    I found the review rather fair and well thought out. I wonder if there is a correlation between when you got into knives and how much you like the Sebenza? When I developed an interest in knives it was the high end knife to get. I don't know if that's still true anymore with the number of high end production knives and midtechs out there. I think it's a great knife but not the best in terms of features so maybe I just like the review because it's not far off of my own assessment after owning a few myself. I am curious about how long you need to own a knife and how much you have to use it before doing a review? I often have a fairly good idea of what I think about a knife in the first few weeks. Are others the same? Lastly the voice is a little grating but I have seen a few of his videos and the content is good enough for me to bear with it.

19. clearkevin

clearkevin Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 7, 2014
    Even though I agree with the post this is responding to this quote made me laugh

20. mbp

mbp Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2015
    Oh, I certainly don't think you are, and I apologize for any lack of clarity there. The post seemed a bit derisive to me, but I'm only evaluating the statement, not the person. You certainly seem like the gentlemanly sort so no hard feelings in that respect.

It might be bunk to you but that's an opinion only. Using a knife to you might only be defined as taking it out to the woods and using it hard, but maybe to someone like Nick Shabazz, it's just light food prep and household work.

My point is that if a knife doesn't feel good in the hand, it's not going to feel better when used, whether used lightly or used hard. That's been my experience at least. The Sebenza just isn't a comfortable knife to me compared to others in my collection, so I agree with the review on that point.