No wonder USPS is going out of business

Yes, it's true they're inefficient because government is involved. Unlike a business, they can't decide to charge more for delivering mail to different places- it has to be the same rate, by mandate, leading to inefficiencies. They have a mandate to deliver to EVERYONE, not just people in cities who are profitable, so their rural services suck up more money. Oh, yeah, and unlike a business, they can't just decide to close on Saturdays to save money, nor can they decide to close said rural facilities, NOR raise prices without congressional approval. And ideological divide aside, congress is just plain inefficient for a business to depend on.

Finally, unlike private businesses, they actually HAVE to fund their pension obligations upfront and can't just screw people over when they retire, which makes them look less solvent than other comparable businesses that get to play pension accounting tricks. In fact, they have to fund 75 years of obligations in 10 years of working Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act of 2006 (PAEA)

USPS would be fixed if congress didn't have such a heavy hand in operating it, that's true. I just take objection to the idea that they haven't done a fine job with the hand they've been dealt. I'd love to see fedex, DHL, UPS, or some other service take on the mandates and restrictions that USPS has and turn a profit.

Zero

Quite right ZT. They are government run, but not government funded. They have to get congressional approval for a lot of stuff, but have to live on the bucks they bring in from providing their service. They have abide by equal protections and right and so on... so they can't base prices on costs, unless spread equally among all consumers...

I can't see how they've remained viable... oh, wait, they haven't.

Wow, imagine if the government ran a company like GM...

oh, nevermind.

Not all USPS employees are worthless pieces of doo! I am one of the few that actually try to give the customers on my route good, reliable service! I take my job seriously as I'm sure some of you do. I walk so rain, snow, and ice do effect my schedule. :D But, I don't complain.....much.

BELIEVE it or not the P.O. is starting to streamline. The new tracking is a huge plus. It might take a while to get nation wide, but it is up and running here in St. L.

my experiences have led me to believe that the actually delivery drivers tend to be good hard working people. It's the people at the counter that generally don't seem to give a crap

My mail truck is a 2009 or 2010 Chevy Uplander. I drive just about 10 miles a day (I walk more)- I have to fill the 20 gallon tank every 2 weeks (about $55) and the computer tells me I am getting 6.5 miles per gallon!! My top speed is about 35MPH.

I just checked my TGLB's path....Ohio to Michigan to Pennsylvania. Lets hope it stays here!!

-Emt1581

my experiences have led me to believe that the actually delivery drivers tend to be good hard working people. It's the people at the counter that generally don't seem to give a crap

I'd have to disagree. The people at my small town local branch are fantastic. Friendly, give advice on options, help to resolve problems, and know everyone. I think it is some out of date policies and capabilities, as well as some disgruntled employees at the larger locations that are the problem. They aren't held liable and there are no consequences for lost, stolen or misrouted packages in their care.

Just to be fair, I've had worse delivery problems with UPS packages that don't require a signature. Constantly getting "delivered" to the wrong street or house number. Once " delivered" forget about trying to get them back out to go get it. At least my local USPS know who I am and where I live because they deliver here daily.

I don't quite understand the rationale, but some dealers send stuff via UPS, DHL and maybe FedEX that is delivered by USPS. In many cases, UPS and FedEx ground is more expensive than
either parcel post or priority mail.

Back