Non-Toxic knife oils?

PAM cooking spray. Seriously, its that simple. Been using it for a long time. Quick spray, wipe off excess. Done. Been using it on my carbon Mora knife for outdoor use for a couple of years, does a good job of preventing rust between uses.

It sounds like there is a market for "Green" tool cleaners, lube and various junk, but there is so much out there in other forms. Maybe some knife makers should do some R&D and suggest some oils out of the supermarket? I guess it's up to us.

I use pam on my food prep knives but in the kitchen and outdoors and use tuf-cloth on non food prep knives.

I have used extra virgin coconut oil, it works and is all natural. Can be found on health food stores.

same here. i keep it around to shine up my dogs coat a couple weeks before a show.
ive never tried it, but they sure love a little on their kibble LOL

Personally I think someone just needs to make an aerosol can of USP mineral oil and call it a day.

Edit: Looks like "food machinery oil" spray could be the answer. Looking at the MSDS for a couple different makers it seems to be nothing more than mineral oil and a thinning agent. The stuff is, naturally, food safe.

Last edited:
Can I use laxative grade mineral oil or just food grade? I dont plan on doing much food prep with it at all, besides maybe some fruit once in a blue moon

Can I use laxative grade mineral oil or just food grade? I dont plan on doing much food prep with it at all, besides maybe some fruit once in a blue moon

I've never seen laxative grade. The food grade is about $2 a bottle. If it's laxative grade it's probably the same thing as food grade because it means you can ingest it.

I use Hoppe's Elite oil...... But if I planned on eating off of it more than once, I'd go mineral oil or frog lube.

Those are one and the same thing. USP Mineral Oil is food grade, and commonly sold in most pharmacies as a laxative because in spite of being INgestible it's not DIgestible so it goes right through ya'.

I use camelia oil, bought it from japan off ebay
works well, is not toxic and lasts a while

Back