Noob in distress

Let's get on with it...

I've always enjoyed knives but apparently I have been sheltered as to what good knives are. Since joining blade forum I have discovered the plethora of knife makers and the overwhelming amount of options that have just left me just dizzy. I AM A PRACTICAL GUY so simple makes since to me (respect auto's but not interested) I want a larger EDC knife and preferably a flipper that is not scared to be used. I will test it and try it so I want it durable. Patience and funds are on my side but I've budgeted 500.00 for my first good EDC. Please offer your recommendations and why you carry what you do? If there are other posts like this please link me to them. I realize everyone's time is valuable so with the utmost respect I welcome direction and correction. Sincerely noob

$500 is a lot to spend on your first knife when you don't know what you like. This is a real personal thing.

If it was me I'd buy 5 $100 EDC knives to start out and also find the nearest good brick and mortar location to go hands on with the more expensive models till you're sure what's right .

If it was me I'd buy 5 $100 EDC knives to start out and also find the nearest good brick and mortar location to go hands on with the more expensive models till you're sure what's right .

Thank you for the insight and with that said which direction would you recommend I start with the five 100 EDC knives? All help is appreciated

Check out Freeman Outdoors flipper. You have a few options to customize to your liking, and it's a tank of a flipper.

Thank you for the insight and with that said which direction would you recommend I start with the five 100 EDC knives? All help is appreciated

I'd get one, use it a bit, and see what you like/hate on it. Likely if you rush, you'll have 5 - 100 dollar knives that you just think are meh. Blades are definitely addictive, but best to go a little slow as you add dollars to the equation.

Id take a long look at spyderco's linup. Give something like the native or the sage a try. Its cheap and youll be able to see if you like them

I would look at Spyderco, Benchmade, and Kershaw to start and I'd put one joker in the hand with a GEC.

All have decent resale potential so if your test drive goes sour you won't have to just chuck them in a drawer.

Zero Tolerance makes a whole bunch of top-flight, tough flippers in good steels for much less than your budget. The 0095 is excellent if you want a knife that cuts well. You can get it in S90V, which holds an edge for a long time. The 0220 is excellent for a hard-use knife.

Benchmade axis locks are as good as flippers. The Loco is super tough. But there are many, many choices that, as Danke says, depend on your personal tastes.

I still like the old, discontinued (and now expensive) Benchmade Rukus, which has a 4-inch-plus blade that flips open like a dream and cuts well.

Take a look at Zero Tolerance. They have a lot of flippers and there older models were really marketed and built for hard use.

Look at the ZT 0452. This amazing knife is a rugged flipper. The blade comes in exellent steels. The one I own has an S35vn blade. The blade is long, about 4 inches. The knife is just as tough as any knife from Zero Tolerance but it is much lighter. Partially this is because there is no steel liner undernthe catbon fibre scale.

It is also much cheaper than your 500$ limit but has all the quality of a 500$ knife. You could also look at the zt 0460 or 0920 if the 4 inch blade on the 0452 is abit too long. I think you will be very happy with any of those.

you can find a lot of good knives in that range even some used customs .
Read about the knife you picked before buying . Lots of marketing what is not worth your money .

Thank you all for the insight. Maybe I should be a little more specific as well. I have big hands so a bigger knife dimensionally works well for me. I have looked at the zero tolerance and I really like those knives.

I would much sooner get 2 250$ than 5 100$ knives. Or maybe a 200$ and a 300$.

However my recommendation is to look at Zero Tolerance's lineup and pick one knife that speaks to you tontry first. I cannot recommend the ZT 0452 enough. The flipping action on the 0452 is out of this world.

The OP has zero clue what he's looking for TBH...

You can't categorically state that he has zero clue, or clueless in what he's looking for because he has already stated that he's looking for a an EDC folder, preferably a flipper circa $500 :p

Zero Tolerance makes a whole bunch of top-flight, tough flippers in good steels for much less than your budget. The 0095 is excellent if you want a knife that cuts well. You can get it in S90V, which holds an edge for a long time. The 0220 is excellent for a hard-use knife.

Benchmade axis locks are as good as flippers. The Loco is super tough. But there are many, many choices that, as Danke says, depend on your personal tastes.

I still like the old, discontinued (and now expensive) Benchmade Rukus, which has a 4-inch-plus blade that flips open like a dream and cuts well.

I second the 0095. I have the S90V version and it's great.

Spyderco Domino is a good one, look at Kizer and WE too. Reate is way over priced IMO.

It takes a lot of trying and time to figure out what you like and dislike.

Don't jump straight into the deep end and regret it afterwards.

I value the opinion of others especially when they have walked where you are going... and in my experience if you dont know something you ask someone whose does. I appreciate all of your efforts...thanks guys

Back