Not sure if knife is broken or I'm new here..

My first speed safe knife, actually, first assisted knife, just wondering if it's normal for the spring assist to stop at this spot...
Warning, bad quality image!
www.i.imgur.com/1HjBH.jpg

What I'm saying is at that point the spring doesn't try open any more.

Last edited:
No it's not normal. Contact kershaw customer support. They'll take good care of you.

No it's not normal. Contact kershaw customer support. They'll take good care of you.

So this is just how it works? It's 100% functional, not complaining. One more thing, I've seen people use the blade-stops as thumb-studs and even in the instruction booklet it calls them thumb-studs (and has instructions on how to use "thumb studs") but I really can't open it up with the blade-stops no matter how hard I try. Any ideas?

That is normal. The spring engages from 7:00 to 10:00 when opening it right handed.

When opening with the thumb studs, you'll push "up" on the stud. Not out from the knife. So you actually push towards the pivot screw. The 0350 works best as a right handed knife. There is more room around the stud on the right side. The scale and liner are closer to the stud on the left side. It makes the liner lock easier to disengage right handed.

Yup, that's normal. The momentum generated by the spring opens the blade fully to the locked position. Consequently, when you release the lock, the blade is free until you get to the point where the spring tension takes over to keep the blade closed.

Yes thats normal for a Speedsafe knife... Also it actively closes the knife once its almost closed.

THats why its called assisted not automatic.

That is normal. The spring engages from 7:00 to 10:00 when opening it right handed.

When opening with the thumb studs, you'll push "up" on the stud. Not out from the knife. So you actually push towards the pivot screw. The 0350 works best as a right handed knife. There is more room around the stud on the right side. The scale and liner are closer to the stud on the left side. It makes the liner lock easier to disengage right handed.

Okay thanks for that! I just tried pushing more towards the pivot screw but it still didn't work. I'm happy with the flipper though :).

If is it brand new, it may need a little breaking in. Does it stop there every time? If not, that would point more towards a new knife that needs breaking in. Also, you may just develop better form, and get better at consistently flipping it open all the way. That big knife will not fly open as good as a little Kershaw will from day one. I would give it some more time.

Some ZT/Kershaw thumb studs are just useless, and there are back and forth arguments about whether it is indeed a thumb stud or not. For me, I don't care, the flipper is the preferred method of opening. In fact, I de-assist most of my Kershaw's. I know they call it Speedsafe, but it is not very safe to close imo. Some torsion bars have to be so thick and tight that they put considerable resistance at that point when closing one handed to the point that you can slip and get cut. Plus, I also do not like thumb stud only and Speedsafe, you can slip on opening and get cut. Their knives are good enough that with practice, any of them can be flipped manually just as fast. I would search and see if that model (sorry can't tell from pic) is easily de-assisted and try it out that way. You can always go back if you prefer. I think they make it an easy switch on purpose, they may not admit because it probably voids the warranty, but it is pretty simple to do. Just make sure the knife has a detent as some assisted knives don't, they rely on the torsion resistance for retention.

Indeed, it is normal. The torsion bar only extends, as was stated above, partially through the travel. The rest of the way is carried by the momentum imparted by the spring. In a newer knife, sometimes the torsion bar, bushings, and lock bar bearing need some wearing in and a little extra flick is necessary for a few cycles. That's the issue I had with the new Volt SS I just got, but after a couple days the assist flies it open with no fuss.

So, yep. All normal, and will function just fine. If your torsion bar isn't as robust as it should be, they'll send you a new one.

If is it brand new, it may need a little breaking in. Does it stop there every time? If not, that would point more towards a new knife that needs breaking in. Also, you may just develop better form, and get better at consistently flipping it open all the way. That big knife will not fly open as good as a little Kershaw will from day one. I would give it some more time.

Some ZT/Kershaw thumb studs are just useless, and there are back and forth arguments about whether it is indeed a thumb stud or not. For me, I don't care, the flipper is the preferred method of opening. In fact, I de-assist most of my Kershaw's. I know they call it Speedsafe, but it is not very safe to close imo. Some torsion bars have to be so thick and tight that they put considerable resistance at that point when closing one handed to the point that you can slip and get cut. Plus, I also do not like thumb stud only and Speedsafe, you can slip on opening and get cut. Their knives are good enough that with practice, any of them can be flipped manually just as fast. I would search and see if that model (sorry can't tell from pic) is easily de-assisted and try it out that way. You can always go back if you prefer. I think they make it an easy switch on purpose, they may not admit because it probably voids the warranty, but it is pretty simple to do. Just make sure the knife has a detent as some assisted knives don't, they rely on the torsion resistance for retention.
Ah, I dont think I said it right. The knife opens up 100% of the time if I flip it, but that place is where I can feel the spring stop if that makes sense.

Indeed, it is normal. The torsion bar only extends, as was stated above, partially through the travel. The rest of the way is carried by the momentum imparted by the spring. In a newer knife, sometimes the torsion bar, bushings, and lock bar bearing need some wearing in and a little extra flick is necessary for a few cycles. That's the issue I had with the new Volt SS I just got, but after a couple days the assist flies it open with no fuss.

So, yep. All normal, and will function just fine. If your torsion bar isn't as robust as it should be, they'll send you a new one.

Okay cool thanks for that :). Living in Australia sucks because if it actually did need repairing I can't send it away. Well I could, I just wouldn't get it back…
Legal to own, illegal to import. Go figure.

My 0350 and my 0300 never did that. When I engage them they flicked all the way open. Not stopped part of the way. My kershaw clash does as well. To me that's not normal, but it may indeed need breaking in.

Ah, I dont think I said it right. The knife opens up 100% of the time if I flip it, but that place is where I can feel the spring stop if that makes sense.

It does make sense. All of the torsion bars stop imparting force a certain way through the travel, and I just manually guided my Volt open, and I feel the end of the push at about the same spot as your 0350. The 0350 can also be used as a manual, as the blade is drilled to accept the ball detent in the lock bar. So if you removed the torsion bar, it would be a fully manual action blade without modification. So, either way, it's all gravy. Cheers.

Ohh. Well I just gave you a bunch of extra information. I understand you now, if you manually pull it open slowly it will rest like that with a free movement area. Stickodrum explained it well.

I miss understood your dilemma, I thought you were sayin when you used the flipper it wouldn't open all the way, but stop at that point in the pic.

I would search and see if that model (sorry can't tell from pic) is easily de-assisted and try it out that way. You can always go back if you prefer. I think they make it an easy switch on purpose, they may not admit because it probably voids the warranty, but it is pretty simple to do. Just make sure the knife has a detent as some assisted knives don't, they rely on the torsion resistance for retention.
Nope it does not void the warranty! Kershaw and Zt both are the best when it comes to warranty. In otherwords they won't screw you over if you disassemble.

Nope it does not void the warranty! Kershaw and Zt both are the best when it comes to warranty. In otherwords they won't screw you over if you disassemble.

Ah well, warranty is nothing to me, if my knife breaks I'm done for. In Australia it is illegal to import flippers/AO, but they're legal if they're already in. This law was made in December so some stores still had a few.

Try loosening the pivot screw slightly. If its too tight it can interfere with the blade movement. You should be able to find the "sweet spot" where the blade opens easily without any side to side blade play.

Back