NYC (10-133c) Summons

Truest,
You can carry whatever you want in NYC, as long as you're a criminal. Okay, that's wrong...but not by much.

Q: Why aren't they busting gang bangers and asking them what's in their pockets? A: They'll get off because of police discrimination / brutality, for one reason or another. Instead, they look for people who appear to be tax paying, working citizens who would be startled by the thought of being arrested. They know the city will get their fine money because the "perp" is a citizen who seemingly looks like he / she can afford a fine. Why would they waste their time on criminal types, when the criminal types won't get jail time and when they (NYC) won't get money for the fine?! It's all about the $...doesn't have anything to do with the fact that you wouldn't think about assaulting someone with your Swiss Army knife, or probably any other knife, for that matter. The cops are just doing their jobs...$ collectors.

Mind you, I'm not talking about real crime vs. police accountability. I'm talking about the money-grab, BS mentality of NY politicians and the laws they pass which go against the law abiding citizens of NYC and NY State.

You don't know me so this will probably mean nothing to you, but I'm proud of you for not just caving-in and pleading guilty and paying the $75 fine. Yes you got screwd, but you stood up for yourself, and your rights. Many would just have given in for the sake of convenience, and that's what the criminal justice system counts on. Maybe if more people stood up for themselves like you did, maybe fewer people would be victimized in such a manner.

Look at it this way, at the very least you made them all take the time to at least go through the motions of "justice". The cop may have been smug, but maybe they had better things that they would have rather been doing and because of you they had to go to court.

If it makes you feel any better, I know a thing or two about getting screwd by the so-called "justice" system. I went to prison based in part on a detectives perjured testimony and my PAID lawyer completely sold me out to the prosecuter for his own convenience. And I paid that lawyers law firm $8600. for the privilege.

Thank you for standing up for your rights and fighting the good fight. It makes me feel good to know that there are still people who will do that.

I'm sorry to hear that happen to you. The system is broken and no one wants to bother fixing it. It's a damn shame.

What a damned shame. All over an innocent SAK that probably retailed for less than $50 (including sales tax). Hope you perfected your concealment technique if you plan to continue carrying.

Yeah just keep it in my pockets at all times. Conceal it and hope cops have better things to do than hassle me.

Truest,
You can carry whatever you want in NYC, as long as you're a criminal. Okay, that's wrong...but not by much.

Q: Why aren't they busting gang bangers and asking them what's in their pockets? A: They'll get off because of police discrimination / brutality, for one reason or another. Instead, they look for people who appear to be tax paying, working citizens who would be startled by the thought of being arrested. They know the city will get their fine money because the "perp" is a citizen who seemingly looks like he / she can afford a fine. Why would they waste their time on criminal types, when the criminal types won't get jail time and when they (NYC) won't get money for the fine?! It's all about the $...doesn't have anything to do with the fact that you wouldn't think about assaulting someone with your Swiss Army knife, or probably any other knife, for that matter. The cops are just doing their jobs...$ collectors.

Mind you, I'm not talking about real crime vs. police accountability. I'm talking about the money-grab, BS mentality of NY politicians and the laws they pass which go against the law abiding citizens of NYC and NY State.

I understand what you're saying and agree on some level, but the knife laws have been the same in NYC for a very long time - decades. It is relatively recently that the DA, politicians, and police have gone off the deep end on enforcement. I don't know if you're from the NY area, but I used to spend a fair amount of time in the city. Back then, the police had a lot of latitude in how they interpreted and applied the laws - the same laws that exist today. In my experience, you could be reasonably comfortable that the police would realize that you weren't a "bad guy" and would pretty much leave you alone as long as you weren't bothering anyone too much - even when "bending" the law;). Something changed after 9/11 and perhaps because of the crack-crime in the 80s-90s. Now police have quotas and a system they have to operate under. They have to show numbers, whereas in the past, it seemed more about keeping real order. My point is that it is the mentality and methods of the politicians in how they apply the laws, rather than the laws themselves. The laws were written to allow officer discretion, but the pols are taking away the tool of common sense. Just my $0.02.

Jordan

So update on my situation. Finally went to court yesterday to stand "trial" for the summons. To make a long story short, judge and public defender shafted me. Public defender did not even help argue my case, two timed me, and sided with the "law." They gave me no chance to truly argue my case and ordered me to pay a $75 fine reduced down to $50. The cop actually showed up and gave me a smug look. Everything about this just pissed me off. Regardless of the price $ I had to pay, it just made my blood boil because of how unfairly I was treated.

Lessons learned:

-Avoid cops like the plague
-Hide your edc
-Never trust the public defender
-NYC Knife laws are ridiculous
-The laws in this city do not protect the innocent

This is some bad news, I was hoping you'd get a break. Not surprising the public defender was a bust, they have to work with the judge and LE everyday, you're just part of an endless parade. What BS...NYS would be a much saner place if not attached to NYC.

Back