Off center?

Does this blade look off center? I cannot tell if the knife itself is tilted slightly or it is indeed the blade itself. Slightly zoomed out.
B1B8A593-EF50-4643-98C7-4AC4ECCFFE3E_zpstmlxbust.jpg

9CC9A372-4BED-40B5-8250-B0B291FBCC07_zpspczxqdde.jpg

Last edited:
Centering pictures can be difficult. Is the pic completely perfect overhead? Who ever is actually holding the knife in hand should be able to tell better. Why do you ask?

Centering pictures can be difficult. Is the pic completely perfect overhead? Who ever is actually holding the knife in hand should be able to tell better. Why do you ask?

Want to buy it and it's the image posted for centering. You're exactly right too could even be the camera angle itself.

It does seem to lean a bit towards the non-lock side, if I have compensated correctly for the tilt in pic (in my head, that is). Personally, I wouldn't consider it off-center.

I would be more concerned, that there's no room between the lockbar and the blade. It looks to be touching on that side.

I would be more concerned, that there's no room between the lockbar and the blade. It looks to be touching on that side.

Yes I couldn't tell if it's just the angling of the photo but it's a Mnandi and that would be a deal breaker on this guy.

Since the tolerances are so tight a tiny bit makes a big difference.

Yes. The tip and the spool spacer's relationship should illustrate that clearly for all. Its not far off, and as another poster said before, the tip centering is less concerning than the lockside liner clearance. Its odd that the liner is closer to the blade on the opposite side the tip favors.
Doesnt look like a knife that will be used, tho so what does it matter? Centering shouldn't matter on your edc virtue signalling status specimens.

I would guess the camera is tilted very slightly making the blade look closer to lock bar than it really is.
Looking at my Sebbie right now, and when tilted the slightest bit looks just like that.

F9C07F64-A51F-4AFD-9556-307ED7A71DD8_zpsiyz79d97.jpg
C63C7752-D80B-4F48-99C7-944339C11813_zpsdfaugq5f.jpg

I would guess the camera is tilted very slightly making the blade look closer to lock bar than it really is.
Looking at my Sebbie right now, and when tilted the slightest bit looks just like that.

I think you're on to something regarding the lock bar distance, here are two more centered ( only similar pictures I could find ) and they all have such an angle and tight tolerance that they look to be on the lock bar when they aren't.

Definitely thinking the original isn't centered completely though regardless of the lockbar. There are other options so I was just curious of the communities opinion.

Yes. The tolerances are so tight even a small tilt of the camera make it look off. OP, did you ask the seller if it is off or for more pics?

Having taken many of these sort of pics myself, it looks like it's a little off center to me. Favoring the presentation side.

Not terribly uncommon in a frame lock and if it's a legitimate CRK you can always send it in for a spa day.

Depends on the deal I guess. Is it worth the trouble?

I think the blade is sitting slightly closer to the non lock side. The lock bar is going to sit close to the blade as the detent ball is inside the hole Made for said detent. That is why centering should be checked near the tip not the pivot. And even though its slightly off its likely just in need of adjustment.

Having taken many of these sort of pics myself, it looks like it's a little off center to me. Favoring the presentation side.

Not terribly uncommon in a frame lock and if it's a legitimate CRK you can always send it in for a spa day.

Depends on the deal I guess. Is it worth the trouble?

Thank you for your stopping by and your post, there are many others to choose from I was just curious, do you mind I had one last question regarding Damascus sheen ( switching gears here ) I've found a knife I really enjoy the handle but the Damascus seems dull to my eye, does it make sense that a basketweave vs basketweave one could look more dull? Or is it just from the way the image is captured?
8A01C3CB-4FFE-4E35-961D-2FF982627651_zpsom8kwvhz.png

To a noob I thought all new Damascus would be equally shiny as long as the pattern was the same and same manufacturer.

Yes. The tolerances are so tight even a small tilt of the camera make it look off. OP, did you ask the seller if it is off or for more pics?

Never did unfortunately was just looking for a quick answer then off to compare more blades.

i see alot of this blade centering concern.
I'm curious, isn't the blade being centered more important in the open position?
I never see that looked at. As a maker, I look for both.
But I would choose/favor the importance of the blade being inline with the handle vs what it looks like in the closed position.

regards

I'm curious, isn't the blade being centered more important in the open position?
But I would choose/favor the importance of the blade being inline with the handle vs what it looks like in the closed position.

regards

You are essentially right, but for closed position, blade centering is correlated with higher quality.

And technically an off-centered blade in closed position is also likely off-centered in open position.

regards

I wouldn't think so actually. The blade isn't going to rub anything in the open position and since there's no real point of reference, centering issues in the open position aren't as immediately obvious. Whereas a centering issue in the closed position is pretty easily seen.

As for the question about the damascus sheen: I'm not really a damascus guy, but I know they're all acid etched to bring out the pattern. Seems plausible that some variances in finish would exist. It is metal of course, so the finish can always be altered.

I wouldn't think so actually. The blade isn't going to rub anything in the open position and since there's no real point of reference, centering issues in the open position aren't as immediately obvious. Whereas a centering issue in the closed position is pretty easily seen.

no it's certainly not going to rub anything in the open position,
I'm referring to how well it will cut in the open position with a bent blade or non-aligned blade.
The point of reference to use is the spine of the handle and sighting down the handle or with the lade pointed at you

Back