1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Off Topic.... I got a gig (shameless self promotion post).

Discussion in 'JK Handmade Knives' started by Tahts-a-dats-ago, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Tahts-a-dats-ago

Tahts-a-dats-ago

May 25, 2011
    I really enjoy photography and spend a great deal of time learning how to become better at making pictures that speak to the viewer on an emotional level.

I occasionally do get paid to take portraits or create a family Christmas card/calendar but my main objective is building a business selling the photographs I like to take. I don't shoot weddings and I don't want to get into the habit of taking shots that the client dictates (they usually don't turn out well and I don't like doing it).

As one would expect, shooting only what I want to shoot is not the easiest way to garner a lot of paying clients (but it keeps photography fun for me).

It is no surprise that I don't sell a whole lot of my shots - I don't advertise at all, I don't have a big fancy gallery displaying my art and my web presence is all but non-existent. Still, despite the bad economy and despite the fact that I don't do anything to promote myself (at all) - I do occasionally sell one of my prints.

I sold one to a gentlemen who happens to own a restaurant (locally) and that lead to my current gig. He contacted me, asking me if I'd consider taking some pictures of his staff for a calendar he wanted. I gave him a price and delivered the calendar. I guess he liked it, because he called me and asked me to shoot pictures of his dishes (food) for his website and advertisements (menu, etc..). He also asked me if he could display some of my work (besides the food shots) in his restaurant (for sale).

We agreed upon a price and then he told me that he owns an art gallery (out of state) and would like to feature some of my work in his art gallery. We're working out the details on that, but I expect to sign an agreement sometime early next week (detailing pricing, his cut, etc..).

The best part of this deal is the fact that I'm shooting what I want to shoot and my shots will be displayed in two locations. Oh, and I get to eat for free while I'm getting paid to shoot.

So that's why I'm not around here all that much. I've been putting a lot of time in working on pictures and selecting prints for display. He's a fairly prominent guy around here, so I could possibly get some additional work through his contacts as well. Time will tell.

Thus far, I'm pretty happy about it.

2. mykel m

mykel m Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2009
    That is outstanding!Congrats.
    Do we get to see the pieces he'll be displaying?

3. JK Knives

JK Knives Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 6, 2001
    Congrats! It`s good to see you being able to do what you enjoy, and getting paid for it.

4. fmendez

fmendez

Dec 20, 2007
    Congratulations, i work with artists at a major art museum and know how hard is to create art without impingements and having fun while doing it.
    Continue approaching your work the way you are doing and others will appreciate and enjoy it.

5. jds1

jds1 Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Very cool Tahts!

Jeff

6. protourist

protourist [P] irate Member Platinum Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Congratulations.
    Making a hobby into a career has to be the best way to live.

7. Rockywolf

Rockywolf Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 16, 2005
    Congratulations! Very cool.

8. outdoorsfan

outdoorsfan

Sep 30, 2009
    Congrats! Hope it's the start of something good for you!

9. KYenglish

KYenglish

Nov 26, 2010
    awesome, good luck and congratulations

10. eisman

eisman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 9, 2009
    You might want to look in the Photography section; there's a ad for someone to take professional photos of knives.

11. Mr. Night

Mr. Night

Mar 17, 2009
    Congrats sir!

12. mqqn

mqqn Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Hi Thats - congrats!!

I have seen your web site - and you take excellent pictures - as has been evidenced by your posts here.

I would be interested in seeing the results if the new pictures get put up on a web site etc -

I am more of a point and shoot guy, but I like to snap away.

Way to go - and I am sure your work will continue to impress!

best

mqqn

13. Mr. Sogetsu

Mr. Sogetsu

Jun 11, 2006
    Congratulations! We always like seeing your shots of knives here!

14. Tahts-a-dats-ago

Tahts-a-dats-ago

May 25, 2011
    I'm really just getting a good start on the food shots and I haven't edited most of what I've shot thus far, but here are a few of the edited food shots (so you get an idea of what I'm trying to do). This is a first for me - and I'm learning that it is very easy to blow the highlights with food. I'm shooting with available light, as I think setting up auxilary lighting would be intrusive and probably counter productive. I seldom use auxilary lighting anyway, as I vastly prefer natural light whenever possible.

I left plenty of room for cropping since I do not know the size of the prints. All examples have been downsized considerably (for the Internet) and aren't the same quality as the print files. Unfortunately, I don't think they look as good at this smaller size, but that can't really be helped.

Thanks for the comments guys. I really appreciate them. I hope you enjoy the shots.

I'll make a few other posts with some examples of the shots that will likely be put up for display (other than food shots).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Tahts-a-dats-ago

Tahts-a-dats-ago

May 25, 2011
    [​IMG]

"Good Morning"

This was shot in Nebraska (the view from my sister's back yard). It's difficult to see in this small size, but the windmill and fence really "pop" when printed at a larger size.

[​IMG]

"Crimson"

Shot in my front yard. I've sold a couple prints of this shot. I really like the colors and yes, I know the leaf has bird crap on it (LOL). I think it adds something to the shot.

[​IMG]

"Make Ready"

Shot on my patio. This one is a couple of years old. I won a contest with this one and it always gets a lot of comments when displayed. I gave a print of this shot to a little boy who just loved it. He wanted to buy it, but didn't have enough money and seemed so sad when I told him the price.

[​IMG]

"Bad Lands"

Bad Lands National Park. Shot last October. I sold the print I had.

[​IMG]

"Bad Lands II"

Bad Lands National Park. Shot last October. I haven't printed this, but it is one of the "favorites" of my friends so I thought I might print it.

[​IMG]

"Bay Sunset"

I sold a print of this shot last summer. This was shot near where I live.

16. Tahts-a-dats-ago

Tahts-a-dats-ago

May 25, 2011
    [​IMG]

"A Road Less Traveled"

Bad Lands National Park. I had intended to enter this shot in a contest, but never got around to it. I'm still debating whether this should be converted to black & white (as you'll see - I love B&W shots).

[​IMG]

"eccentric"

Shot in my back yard - on a whim. Among my favorite shots; this one is either loved or loathed (so it seems). I did sell a print of this (to my doctor) and it is displayed in his office.

[​IMG]

"Hello"

Shot in my back yard several years ago. This one usually appeals to women and kids. Yeah, I like it too... ummm....

[​IMG]

"Still Standing"

Shot in Sea Breeze -a "town" that is no longer. Yeah, I know it's kind of weird, but I like it for some reason.

[​IMG]

"Siesta"

Shot in my back yard; this is among my favorite shots. I've sold several prints of this shot.

[​IMG]

"Trust"

I've never printed this, but it has received a ton of comments.

[​IMG]

"Elm Street"

I've never sold a print of this, but it sure does draw attention. Most people say it is "creepy" and that's a good thing, because that was the emotion I was shooting for.

[​IMG]

"Summer Dreams"

Shot in my front yard. I have sold a print of this.

[​IMG]

"Frosted"

Shot in Nebraska. This is one of those shots that I don't really like all that well, but others seem to like it a lot. I've actually sold several prints of this one (which still amazes me).

17. mqqn

mqqn Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Hi Tahts -

Very sweet!

I learned something a while back when I was in Florida snapping shots on vacation.

I was staying at the house of a couple that we know, and the lady of the house saw some of my pictures and loved them for the colors - she needed something with certain colors in it to hang in particular rooms. What I learned is that the colors are more important than the subject and/or "correct" composition.

Your composition is excellent, along with the colors - as evidenced above.

The prints that she wanted ( and that I printed at 11x14 for her and framed) were as follows (and these are "webified, not at original res of course)

Clouds look really blown out in this version.
    [​IMG]

I don't "name" my shots too often, but this one I called "What the gecko saw", as I was laying on the sidewalk in someone's landscaping scaring off gecko's to get the angle I wanted.
    [​IMG]

The rest of these were not printed, but I liked them -

This one came out pretty crisp -
    [​IMG]

A little off-plane, but still a lot of interest and decent bokeh -

[​IMG]

This was shot at Thanksgiving last year - one of my granddaughters kittens -
    [​IMG]

I hope you don't mind me cluttering up your thread -

best

mqqn

18. Tahts-a-dats-ago

Tahts-a-dats-ago

May 25, 2011
    [​IMG]

"6 AM"

Shot at 6 AM near where I live. I have sold a print of this shot.

[​IMG]

"Do You Like My Hat?"

A silly shot that worked. This is my first contest winning shot and I've sold several prints.

[​IMG]

"No More Picnics"

Another silly shot that works. This one always draws a lot of attention and usually several out-loud laughs. I've even sold a couple of prints.

[​IMG]

"What's for Lunch?"

I like it. Never sold a print.

[​IMG]

I never named this one. It was shot in my front yard. I have sold several prints of this shot.

[​IMG]

"Summer Fashion"

I absolutely love this shot. Everybody else seems to hate it and many have asked what the hell I was thinking when I took pictures of dirty feet. No... I do not have a foot fetish. But I do love this shot. I've never sold a print, but it always - and I mean always - draws a lot of looks and comments.

[​IMG]

"From Beginning to End"

This shot won a contest and I've sold one print (I believe it was just one). I love the shot, but I think it's probably too dark for many people.

[​IMG]

"Into It"

Shot in a local town. On the third friday of every month, this town has musicians playing in the streets (during the warmer weather). Among my favorite places to shoot. Some of the local musicians are really good. This guy is one of them, and I like the emotion he conveys in this shot.

[​IMG]

"Flower Power"

Shot on third friday (as above). This guy was great: he really gets into his performance.

[​IMG]

"Mount Rushmore"

Haven't printed it. But I will. I think this one will sell. (We shall see)

[​IMG]

"Breakfast in Nebraska"

I actually sold a print - in NJ. I was shocked. Really. Shocked.

[​IMG]

"Used to be Home"

I actually lived here as a kid. I ended up giving the print away and never printed another (a friend really liked it).

[​IMG]

"OXO"

I won a contest with this one. Never printed it. Not sure if I should.

[​IMG]

"God's Flashlight"

I won a contest with this shot and have sold several prints. This is probably the favorite shot of most who have seen my shots.

[​IMG]

"Lightning in a Bottle"

I took this shot specifically for a contest. I didn't win, but I did sell the print.

19. Tahts-a-dats-ago

Tahts-a-dats-ago

May 25, 2011
    [​IMG]

"Ode to Waylon"

The first time I ever set up a shot. I love this shot; it's still among my favorites. I don't know what happened to the print, but I can't find it. Maybe it sold?

[​IMG]

"Do You Believe in Ghosts?"

I won a contest with this shot. Never printed it.

[​IMG]

"Old Blue"

Sold a print of this shot. I wonder if it sold so the guy could try to track down the owner of this old classic. Oh well - it sold (the print, not the truck).

[​IMG]

"pogonip"

Shot in Nebraska. This really needs to be much larger in order to see the detail. I did sell one print.

[​IMG]

"Bad Hair Day"

Never printed. I like it a lot.

[​IMG]

"Play Ball"

I've sold several prints. This might be the best selling print - I'm not sure.

[​IMG]

"No Limits"

Never printed. Probably one of the shots with the most comments (when I had a website).

[​IMG]

"Senior Year"

Never printed. Lots of comments though.

[​IMG]

"Turkey Point"

I've sold several prints.

[​IMG]

"You Can Leave Your Hat On"

Shot on third frinday; this is one of my favorite shots I've ever taken. I just love it. I've sold a couple of prints and it was used as the cover for his CD.

[​IMG]

"Simplified"

Another shot I just love. I've sold a couple prints.

[​IMG]

"The Meaning of Life"

People seem to love this shot. I've sold one print, but it always gets talked about when displayed.

[​IMG]

"Dock of the Bay"

I sold the one print I made of it.

[​IMG]

"Twilight Serenade"

I won a contest with this shot and it's in a photo book (which I didn't buy). I have sold several prints and given several away (to family members).

[​IMG]

"Into the Unknown"

I've sold a couple prints. This one always seems to get a lot of comments.

20. PGeo00

PGeo00

Jan 27, 2012
    That's good stuff :thumbup: