1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Old versus new version

Discussion in 'Redmeadow Knives & T.Knotts Knives' started by David Stifle, Dec 31, 2016.

1. David Stifle

David Stifle KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 20, 2008
    hi fellas,

I'm posting a picture of the old version of my battle cleaver so you can see the difference between it and the new version. You see, I was going along a certain path when inspiration struck (I think, lol). You will see the difference, it's like night and day. What do you guys think?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2016
  2. lessismore

lessismore Redmeadow Knives Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 29, 2010
    Looks great David, I like how rich that handle came out.

3. protourist

protourist Sailin' a reach before a followin' sea. Platinum Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Oh, man. That is gorgeous. It looks like it would be the perfect camp knife, too.

4. David Stifle

David Stifle KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 20, 2008
    Thanks, I'm pleased with how it came out myself. Now to finish it off with an ebony scabbard with some fancy cordage/knots.

5. protourist

protourist Sailin' a reach before a followin' sea. Platinum Member

Aug 19, 2007
    By the way, the original ain't no slouch. It looks like a very practical, beauty of a beast.

6. Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 6, 2014
    Looking good David, I think I like the new look better.

7. David Stifle

Nov 20, 2008
    I will eventually put this up for sale, Mack, and I was wondering how to classify it. I thought of camp knife, survivor knife, and battle cleaver, and I think it could easily fit into any of those categories. I'll probably just list it as a camp/survivor knife. Now, if I just knew what price to list it at, but I guess the final price will also depend on how th scabbard turns out.

8. David Stifle

Nov 20, 2008
    I'm glad you do, Scott, so do I.

9. Dopic1

Dopic1 Amatuer Grinder Jockey Platinum Member

Apr 1, 2013
    That looks Great David, the new handle really stands out.

10. T.Knotts

T.Knotts Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 14, 2010
    Wow that is nice. Looks like a perfect chopper.

11. David Stifle

Nov 20, 2008
    Thank ya! I tried it on some 9" saplings and seasoned firewood, cuts like a champ.

12. mitch4ging

mitch4ging Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 16, 2015
    Like both versions, David. The original, the the traditional guard seems more "camp" looking, and the new version with the red braid seems more "martial art". But that is strictly aesthetics, as the design seems hardy and up to any changes! Nice!

13. David Stifle

Nov 20, 2008
    Great observations! I may make it so you can convert to either configuration, it certainly would be easy enough to do. Thanks!