1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Olsen hatchet head?

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by almyjmoore, Sep 21, 2012.

1. almyjmoore

almyjmoore

Sep 21, 2012
    I brought home a very small hatchet head today (3 3/4" long). It is stamped "OLSEN". It has about 80% of it's original blue paint still intact. Is anyone familiar with this? Was it made by or for the Olsen Knife Company of Howard City Michigan? I have spent several hours today searching for information on the internet and have come up empty. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks, Al

2. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    I'm not familiar with 'Olsen' but it might help to post a picture.

3. almyjmoore

almyjmoore

Sep 21, 2012
    I tried to put on a picture with the original post but couldn't figure out how. After a little more checking, I found that you must have a slightly higher status than "member" in order to post a picture. A paid membership is required. Please let me know if I am not understanding something. Thanks, Al

4. DJG097

DJG097

Apr 19, 2009
    Just upload the picture to an image hosting site like photobucket or flikr. Once thats done copy the image url and paste it between [​IMG]

5. M3mphis

M3mphis

Jan 13, 2011

6. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Olsen made some of their stuff in Howard City, contracted some to Germany and I think to other US firms.
    "Fatty, Fatty, run for your life- here comes Skinny with an Olsen Knife." There must have been some background to make that slogan socially acceptable.
    They burned down in the late 1970s, I believe.

7. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    This might provide some clues. Supposedly a "knife and axe set" from Olsen Knife Co., with the hatchet marked Western Germany. So, even if this particular hatchet doesn't match the OP's hatchet head, it appears that the Olsen Knife Co. had hatchets made in W. Germany (along with some of their knives), and I'm guessing this was done only for knife/hatchet combos (instead of the Olsen Knife Co. branching out with a line of hatchets).

[​IMG]

8. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    That's a very German-looking knife, too- is it stamped for country of origin?

9. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    The auction listing says the knife is marked Olsen Knife Co., Germany
    and the hatchet is marked Solingen, Western Germany.
    The set was unused.

10. almyjmoore

almyjmoore

Sep 21, 2012
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is an attempt to add a picture of the hatchet head marked OLSEN. Al

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  11. jurisprudence

jurisprudence

Jul 17, 2009
    I have one. Exact dimensions of the Vaughan and Craftsman models. I suspect that all were made by Vaughan but do not know for certain.

12. almyjmoore

almyjmoore

Sep 21, 2012
    That is interesting. I'll bet they were all made by the same company at about the same time. They would have to be about the smallest hatchets made that would function as a real hatchet. I wonder about how old they are. I'd like to see a picture of a hatchet head this size with its handle intact. Al

13. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
  14. almyjmoore

almyjmoore

Sep 21, 2012
    Thanks for all the responses. I learned a lot. I would still like to see a picture of a mini hatchet that is marked OLSEN with its original handle. I don't want to spent hours carving out a handle then find out that it isn't shaped right for the hatchet head. Thanks again for the help, Al