1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Once the "tactical" and "hard use" fad fades, what will be the next "big thing" be?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by retzius, Apr 25, 2012.

1. retzius

retzius

Sep 17, 2009
    Im curious to think what you guys think the next "big thing" in knives will be.

I been around a little while, I remember in the 70s and 80s when it wasnt all tactical, hard use, overbuilt, super lock folding knives and fix blades for "operators" that can cut through car doors.

I think that as our military involvement winds down the military influence may fade a bit and give some room for other ideas, designs, and paradigms to breathe.

What do you think the next "thing" will be?

As much as I like the current knives, Im starting to tire a bit of S30v, G10, and thick heavy blades that seem to built more for demolition than for cutting.

I still think there is alot of room for "multi-tools" to grow...

2. ChrisFarms

ChrisFarms Banned

Mar 31, 2012
    i think the next big thing will be thin light no nested steel gentlemen folders, its starting to change over to that already imo

3. BryFry

BryFry

Jul 29, 2009
    Delicate fragile feminine knives, made for trimming flower pedals???

4. ChrisFarms

ChrisFarms Banned

Mar 31, 2012
    lol not little girl knives, i mean like you notice all the new cold steels are now thinner lighter weight no nested steel, you no the voyager recon ak 47.
    I think that the nested steel liners are gonna phase out, just my opinion

5. ecos

ecos

Jul 2, 2006
    I've been getting more requests for Bushcraft/outdoors/tribal style knives lately.

Hopefully thinner knives will be the new trend because I like using them, and making them.

6. ChrisFarms

ChrisFarms Banned

Mar 31, 2012
    thinner knives imo make a better utility knife, and make a good hard use aslong as u dont try to pry with it

7. Maddogg774

Maddogg774

Sep 19, 2011
    More pink knives for women, even tomahwaks and Ar-15s are pink now. Upscale classy looking gentlemen's folders shiny and exotic woods. Tradionals will make a big comeback.

8. ecos

ecos

Jul 2, 2006
    Thats my feeling on the subject as well. Thick knives can be fun too...that feeling when you pick up some monstrosity of a blade and have the sudden urge to hack down a sequoia...but I almost always find myself carrying a thinner blade.

9. djjonny

djjonny

Jan 11, 2012
    The spyderco range have many in pink already :D

10. uyotg

uyotg Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 5, 2010
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. ChrisFarms

ChrisFarms Banned

Mar 31, 2012
    That isnt a area for knives to go at all, i wouldnt rly even want a knife for zombies, id want like a skewer or something long and pointy for brain jabbing

12. Shotgun

Shotgun

Feb 3, 2006
    I don't think this fad has anything to do with our military to be honest. If people wanted military tools they'd have a mutlitool. No, this is a mall ninja fad IMO. People want a crazy thick folder for their perceived "survival scenario." My hope is for a trend toward thinner knives too. They just perform better. Of course, I don't have the need to pry off a car door so what do I know.;)

13. MassMatt

MassMatt

Apr 2, 2006
    It's not a HUGE trend but certainly the kerambit has grown a great deal in the last 10 years or so; maybe another ethnic style not seen much in the west? Maybe the fad was balisong, then kerambit.

Maybe in 10 years everyone will be making and marketing versions of the kriss? Or Arab-styled curved belt knives?

14. ChrisFarms

ChrisFarms Banned

Mar 31, 2012
    idk i think the goverment is moving towards no1 being able to carry anything so i think the future holds a bunch of pissed off knife owners

15. brets-ftw

brets-ftw

Sep 11, 2010
    This, while overbuilt folders are nice, it already seems like more interest in traditionals is picking up. I know my JYD II was kicked out by a CV SBJ for a good month now

Balisongs are definitely on the rise as well, though being pushed more from a flipping aspect then utilitarian

16. statmonster

statmonster

Mar 30, 2007
    Miniature chain saws. :)

17. ChrisFarms

ChrisFarms Banned

Mar 31, 2012
    balisongs will never be super big unless they become legal to carry

id buy it

18. Maddogg774

Maddogg774

Sep 19, 2011
    I love that dude, the history channel has him as an "expert". I never hear a thing he says I'm so hypnotized by his hair!

19. drillsgt71

drillsgt71

Dec 1, 2010
    From what I've been seeing it seems traditional folders are making a comeback along with fixed "bushcraft" knives.

20. ChrisFarms

ChrisFarms Banned

Mar 31, 2012
    thats cause anyone with a wallet things their a pro survivalist now