1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

ontario ranger afghan or esee 4?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Kyeg, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Kyeg

Kyeg

Nov 4, 2010
    the ranger is cheaper and thicker but i hear amazing things about the esee, is it worth the extra money?

2. Kyeg

Kyeg

Nov 4, 2010
    ive also had my eye on the becker bk2 for a while, but i wanna make sure i get best quality i can in my budget and if going to the higher end of it is necessary thats fine, but the bk2 seems sick and cheap!.. i want them all but i cant, at least not yet. any suggestions?

3. bada61265

bada61265

Oct 16, 2010
    think your just talking a little better handle material and maybe a better paint job. other than hype i cant imagine why someone would spend over a $100 on a knife with basic cheap carbon steel.

4. CrimsonTideShooter

CrimsonTideShooter

Oct 23, 2010
    Basic cheap carbon steel? Obviously you don't own an ESEE so you shouldn't comment on them.

Without a doubt get the esee. The rowen heat treat will amaze you. I can use my esee 4 all day batoning wood and other chores and it'll still shave hair, after many hours of use.

5. cziv

cziv

Nov 24, 2005
    Agreed! :thumbup: I sold off my RC-4 and kept my RC-3 MIL cuz I liked the sheath a lot better and the handle is the same size. Rowen 1095 is the bomb.

Just read Esee's guarantee - that's worth the cost of a survival knife by itself, although I must admit it would be hard to ship it in for replacement from the rain forest or the Himalayas if your your RC-4 breaks. :D

6. john37

john37

Dec 8, 2010
    I just got my esee 3 yesterday and liked it so much I ordered an esee 5 right now. They are amazing. feels great holding it....it feels like an extension of my hand. Highly recommend an esee.

7. HoosierQ

HoosierQ

Feb 9, 2010
    ESEE is the best knife in the business for the money.

8. cutter17

cutter17

May 16, 2006
    I've never had an ESEE, so I cannot give a true comparsion, but I can say that the OKC Ranger lineup has steel that has undoubtly received an excellent ht. I would suggest the RD-4 over the Afghan as I like the clip point more than the drop point. The RD-4 is made from 5160 carbon steel, and I think the Afghan is also, though I think that some of the Ranger lineup has 1095 carbon steel.:)

9. cramsey3006

cramsey3006

Aug 2, 2010
    Get the Becker!:thumbup:

10. wintermute

wintermute

Oct 18, 2007
    ESEE-3 or 4 for sure. Besides what other people have said, you're not just buying a knife, you're buying a system. Part of the awesomeness of these knives is the quality and versatility of the sheath system.

Also, thicker isn't always better - the thicker the blade, the less efficiently it slices. Since I find myself slicing more than anything else, I got an ESEE-3 since it's thinner than the 4, but the design and the amazing heat treat still allow me to use the knife in ways I'd shy away from with other knives.