1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Opinel n° 8 Outdoor

Discussion in 'Knife Reviews & Testing' started by martineden, Jun 29, 2012.

1. martineden

martineden

Jun 26, 2007
    Today I’ll try my new Opinel n° 8 Outdoor, here whit my SAK Ranger for comparison
    [​IMG]

Handling the knife
    [​IMG]

Let’s start the trials. First, a tent peg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now, a guy runner
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At this point I experienced some issues, in fact: the Rotoblock doesn’t work so well, because it’s angle of rotation is just few degrees
    [​IMG]
    And the clip point of the knife is too obtuse to penetrate easily the wood. So, the knife tend to close if pushed up and down few times…
    [​IMG]
    …and finally this is the result
    [​IMG]

Let’s continue
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Final trial, a trigger
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This knife disappointed me a bit. It’s really comfortable in hand due to the rounded handle, but the Rotoblock doesn’t work when stressed, it tend to open, and the clip point is too belly to use it as a reamer.
    More, the knife isn’t sharpen as I like out of the box, this can be fixed easily of course but is something to note. I tried the whistle too, nothing special, is easy to use but is fairly weak, if you ask me.

Regards,
    Alfredo

2. WILLIAM.M

WILLIAM.M Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 14, 2006
    Thanks for taking the time to post this

I will pass on that model

3. J D Wijbenga

J D Wijbenga Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 17, 1998
    Thanks for the review! I think I like the classic Opinels better.

4. tholiver

tholiver

Feb 22, 2003
    The handle is an improvement but they should have stayed with the traditional blade pattern.
    Ever see the Robinson knives?
    [​IMG]