1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Opinions Needed

Discussion in 'JK Handmade Knives' started by JK Knives, May 20, 2012.

1. JK Knives

JK Knives Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 6, 2001
    I`m thinking of offering a larger version of the L.R.K. that would measure 7" overall, with a 3" blade, 1/8" thick, of O1 tool steel.. In case you don`t know what the L.R.K. is, here is a photo, and dimensions of the standard model.

5" overall, 1" tall, 1/8" thick, with a 2" saber ground edge, and heat treat finish left on. Cost of these will be $40 shipped, or $45 with a kydex sleeve.

[​IMG]

The new model would be priced as follows:

Heat treat finish (no sheath) $55
    Heat treat finish (kydex sleeve) $60
    Heat treat finish with 1/4" thick micarta handle slabs (no sheath) $80
    Heat treat finish with 1/4" thick micarta handle slabs (kydex sleeve) $85

Satin finish (no sheath) $65
    Satin finish (kydex sleeve) $70
    Satin finish with 1/4" thick micarta handle slabs (no sheath) $90
    Satin finish with 1/4" thick micarta handle slabs (kydex sleeve) $95

These will have a 4 week lead time

What are your thoughts and opinions on something like this?

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  2. grunt soldier

grunt soldier Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 4, 2009
    I think it would be a very good idea and allow some people to get into a nice custom knife for some very low prices. I would definitely say go for it. good option to attract newer.

does the original fit inside a altoids tin or is it just a bit to long?

3. pmbspyder

pmbspyder

May 30, 2011
    I think it's a great idea as well! VERY attractive pricing too!! I may have to order one of these bad boys!!

4. mbeebe

mbeebe

Jan 26, 2012
    Looks like a great and versatile design. :thumbup: I would/will buy one for sure if you end up offering them.

5. JK Knives

Mar 6, 2001
    The original is a bit too long for an Altoids tin, but I recently made a smaller L.R.K. that would fit.

I had a young lady email me for a L.R.K. that she wanted 3" overall length. Here it is.

[​IMG]

And I still offer these on my website.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  6. mbeebe

mbeebe

Jan 26, 2012
    I have a Tin knife (just received it from John a couple weeks ago) and am really surprised with how nice it feels in the hand- especially with some cord around the handle. Super nice, micro size knife with a terrific grind that pushes through wood like it was nothin'.

7. Rockywolf

Rockywolf Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 16, 2005
    Looks good.

8. C Bryant

C Bryant Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2008
    :thumbup: :thumbup:

9. clich

clich

Apr 19, 2011
    I like it. I love 3 " blades.

10. mqqn

mqqn Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Hi John -

Options are nice - the more options you have the better - not everyone is as creative as a jds1, pitdog, outdoorsfan, kytrukey etc., so having lots of options gives a guy like me something to consider when I want to buy another blade.

How about a 14" overall Scanduckie! (just kidding).

best

mqqn

11. kyturkey

kyturkey

Oct 10, 2007
    I think that's a good idea. It opens up another price point for you that should be attractive to buyers, and is a nice size at 7" oal to be useful and more comfortable than little three finger knives. It's tempting me already and it's not even official yet.

12. pmbspyder

pmbspyder

May 30, 2011
    Would you offer different blade shapes or would it just be the dp model. For instance if I wanted a saber ground cp?

13. mykel m

mykel m Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2009
    I like it.Plain Jane with heat finish.

14. JK Knives

Mar 6, 2001
    Clip point and wharncliff blade shapes would be available too.

15. KYenglish

KYenglish

Nov 26, 2010
    i like it, and agree with other comments here, might even compete with some production skeleton knives that aren't that different in price!

16. clich

clich

Apr 19, 2011
    Perhaps more holes for a cord wrap option? just thinking out loud

17. TPVT

TPVT Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 14, 2012
    hey john. i think it is a good idea. in fact, looking at the handle shape....and putting a semi-wharncliffe on it....that is very similar to my custom order! so yeah...i like it!

if you decide to do this, i would order one. i mean, how could a guy go wrong with something like....
    Heat treat finish with 1/4" thick micarta handle slabs (no sheath) $80

18. mykel m

mykel m Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2009
    And don't forget 01 steel Todd.

19. tlovesknives

tlovesknives

Apr 6, 2011
    :thumbup:

20. TPVT

TPVT Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 14, 2012
    hey myke. is that what john uses for these? i was just cutting and pasting from the available options he listed above. that is the one i would go with. but, i mean....to get that for $80....i almost feel bad. almost. :D