1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Original "Bowie"(?) Knife

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Headmanbrewing, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Headmanbrewing

Headmanbrewing

Aug 5, 2012
    I am hoping someone may be able to shed some light on a knife I found some 20 years ago while hunting. This is a clip point straight blade, overall length 10 3/4", blade length 6". With the point to my right, the face of the blade has the words "Original ----- (possibly Bowie) Knife" lightly etched near the spine. On the same side, stamped near the hilt, are two words, "Solingen" and "---mark" (Denmark?). On the flip side, the number "433" is stamped near the hilt. Can anyone tell me something about this?

Also, a repair type question. The grip appears to consist of 10 leather disks separated by a metal wafer. Each leather disk may be split, so a total of 20 then. The disks seem to be loose, so they can pivot slightly. Is there any way to cause these disks to swell, so it has a tight fit again? Soak the handle in neatsfoot oil, something along those lines? Thanks.

2. Headmanbrewing

Headmanbrewing

Aug 5, 2012
    Oops, I just read the "tuning fork" sticky. Sorry, I wasn't trying to overstep any boundaries. I just couldn't find any real info except on EvilBay, which I have not found to be very trustworthy. Sorry again.