1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

P.W. Cummings All Purpose Hatchet = PRETTY!

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by panzertroop, Jun 24, 2012.

1. panzertroop

panzertroop Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 8, 2008
    I have never seen one of these until today. Stop by the local flea market and there she was sitting all lonely on a table. I took her home. P.W. Cummings All Purpose. Very elegant looking hatchet and feels great in the hand.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Started making a mask right away! :)

2. jwaj

jwaj

Dec 19, 2002
    Nice looking hatchett. Interesting head shape. Any idea on how much it weighs?

3. Blunt Forged Edge

Blunt Forged Edge

May 15, 2012
    Very nice specimen I must say!

4. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    It's a Belknap Bluegrass! That's a great hatchet. I like the substantial poll. It should have good balance. And does anybody else see the similarities between this hatchet and the Tommy Axes? Very similar shape and the haft looks the same as stock Tommy Axes, too.

5. bearhunter

bearhunter

Sep 12, 2009
    well pegs, i bet that they were made by 'KELLY' ;)

6. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I like that long poll too- sort of looks like a kentucky pattern. Which is what I thought my tommy tomahawk was when I bought it. This one is more tapered, like halfway between the tt tomahawk and the dynamic hatchet.

7. cooperhill

cooperhill

Nov 14, 2011
    A great looking hatchet. Belknap Bluegrass are great axes.

8. made2cut

made2cut Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Cool profile on that one, great condition too :)

9. Operator1975

Operator1975

Sep 24, 2010
    Kelly did make the Belknap products - and the bluegrass version of the tommy axe is out there - not as popular as the tommy in just numbers from what I have seen, but still out there. Stamping is clear and crisp - hell of a nice find.

10. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    I wonder if it's an old Tommy with the broken claw filed off. [​IMG]

11. markv

markv

Sep 8, 2004
    a heck of a find.
    got a lot going for it as a collectible.
    Bluegrass and Tommy

buzz

12. omniviking

omniviking

Feb 9, 2008
    it is a dandy!

13. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    I still wonder if it hasn't had the claws filed off. A Bluegrass 'All Purpose' should look like this.

[​IMG]

14. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    You certainly make a strong case.

15. panzertroop

Aug 8, 2008
    I don't they are the same. The hatchet I have appears to be wider at the back. The photo of the one with the claw is narrower. It's possible there are several variants. Unless I can find a catalog from that time period that proves other wise.

16. wildmike

wildmike

Nov 17, 2007
    That is an excellent little hatchet! Great find.

17. cooperhill

cooperhill

Nov 14, 2011
    Watching that one too on eeebay?

You can see a gap between the filed off claws in the third picture of the P.W. Cummings.

18. cckw

cckw Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2008
    I'm gonna vote for an altered Tommy style. the contour in that area fits that idea. I have a Tommy that I have been thinking of doing that mod to, but so far the work required has outweighed the desire.

19. cooperhill

cooperhill

Nov 14, 2011
    Here's my recent Tommy axe mod.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. panzertroop

Aug 8, 2008
    Anyone have a pic of the underside of the Tommy? Closer examination mine might be a modded Tommy! Finnish up a mask last night. Need to post some pics.