1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Pattern Welded Sword WIP

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by Phillip Patton, Feb 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phillip Patton

Phillip Patton KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 25, 2005
    Howdy Folks,
    Well, I like to do at least one work-in-progress thread per year, and this one may take a year, so I'm starting early. :)
    I wanted to make something really challenging, something that would stretch me to my current limits. I'm also wanting to get into making swords more, and this will be good practice.
    I don't have all the particulars worked out yet, but I just got a copy of Ewart Oakeshott's "The Sword in the Age of Chivalry" from the library, and I'm getting ideas from it.

Here's what I have so far:

The first step is to prep the steel for the two billets it's going to take. One billet is going to be 9 layers (original usually had 7 layers, but I wanted a finer pattern), the other probably around 400.

Here I'm grinding the pieces clean, which is important for clean welds:

[​IMG]

All the pieces for the first billet:

[​IMG]

I use a vise to hold the pieces while I tack weld them together:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I grind a bevel on a length of rebar and weld it to one end of the billet for a handle:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cleaning up the welds with the angle grinder:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  2. Keith Montgomery

Keith Montgomery

May 9, 2000
    Looking forward to seeing where this thread will take us.

3. Phillip Patton

Phillip Patton KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 25, 2005
    The billet for the core pieces of the sword start out at 9 layers, so there's no need for folding this billet.

Here it's in the forge heating up, getting ready for the forge weld:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With flux on it:

[​IMG]

Here it is in the hammer dies for the first weld. I always do two welds, just to make sure.

[​IMG]

Some extra action shots, captured from video:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Continued in next post...

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  4. Phillip Patton

Jul 25, 2005
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the billet after welding:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here I've started drawing the billet out. It's about 1" square and 14" long. when I'm done, I'll have two pieces, 3/8" square and 24" long.

[​IMG]

5. Will Leavitt

Will Leavitt

Jul 28, 2006
    I like the action shots, looks like a chain gun at night or a phosphorous burst... neat!

6. D lisch

D lisch KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 27, 2007
    Looking forward to this. ? what is the steel you start with.

7. Phillip Patton

Jul 25, 2005
    Thanks for asking, I guess I forgot to mention that. :eek:
    I started with 5 layers of 1084, and 4 layers of 15n20. I doubled up the 15n20, so the layers would all be more or less the same thickness.

8. thombrogan

thombrogan

Nov 16, 2002
    Looking great! In a world where katanas more commonplace than in pre-Meiji Japan, it's gonna be great to see more Oakeshott-inspired works.

9. canineforge

canineforge Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2005
    Appreciate makers taking the time to post these WIP threads. Look forward to the progress on your sword, Phillip!

- Joe

10. BrB

BrB

Sep 16, 2003
    Cool! Thanks for sharing!

11. peterinct

peterinct

Dec 13, 1999
    Looks great so far. I especially like the pic of the red hot billet with flux on it.

Thanks for taking the time to show this.

Peter

12. Lorien

Lorien Moderator Moderator

Dec 5, 2005
    I really like your photos! This is going to be one amazing story, that I'm greatly looking forward to.
    Thanks a lot:thumbup:

13. John M Cohea

John M Cohea

Oct 24, 2007
    Fantastic so far. Can't wait to see more!

14. JParanee

JParanee Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Looking forward to this one

15. Joss

Joss Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 20, 2001
    It's going to be another great thread.

I'm very impressed by how clean your stack looks after the weld.

16. tvandeventer

tvandeventer

Oct 5, 2006
    Mmmm...looks like..a popsicle...!

17. psycho78

psycho78

Jun 17, 2006
    lick it! :p

18. Phillip Patton

Jul 25, 2005
    Ouch! :D That would be a little more painful than licking a frozen lampost...

Thanks everyone for the comments so far. I noticed a rash of WIP threads after the first of the year, and want to thank every one who did one. They are very time consuming, but rewarding.

I decided to complicate things by making it triple cored, rather than double cored, so I prepped another billet today. I can't do much more until I get my propane tank filled...

19. RogerP

RogerP Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2002
    Thanks for doing this Phillip - so far, so great!

Roger

20. Triton

Triton Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 8, 2000
    I really look forward to seeing where this thread goes. Not to change it's direction because I too am always happy to see another maker taking a shot (stab?) at European medieval swords, but can I suggest that by the time of Chivalry pattern welded blades were pretty few and far between especially as we advance into the period? I don't know if your interests run that way but perhaps for a pattern welded piece Ian Pierces "Swords in the Viking Age" might be a bit more appropriate?

However that quibbling aside I certainly don't want to throw you off the track and was wondering if you might be willing to give us a hint as to which Oakeshott type you were thinking of creating?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.