1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

People don't like recurved blades or what? O.o

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by crowmagnon, Feb 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crowmagnon

crowmagnon

Oct 29, 2010
    I just had an auction for my custom recurved Tenacious end at $30, the starting amount... It had 18 watchers :O and only 1 bid, right at the very end.
    I thought it would be a hit with the Spyderco people, since I have never seen one like it before. It doesn't really bother me that much, since I needed to get rid of it anyways, but it just seems kind of strange to have that much interest and no takers. Here is a pic of the blade:
    [​IMG]

2. jossta

jossta Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2006
    I think that looks nice. I probably like it more than the standard Tenacious, but same as with a car, mods don't necessarily add value, especially when they void warranties.

Shoulda called it the TNP Recurve Tenacious 1 of 1.

3. brets-ftw

brets-ftw

Sep 11, 2010
    its pretty uncommon to see someone modify a knife to have a recurve. plus sharpening them is a pain for everyone who uses a stone and doesn't want to ruin their edges.

4. RevDevil

RevDevil Super Evil Supermod Staff Member Super Mod

Nov 9, 2009
    I love recurved blades, but when they come that way from the factory ;)

5. 5.56

Sep 27, 2008
    It's a $30 knife new

And you got $30 for it used. You should be happy.

Why did you sell it, if you like it so much?

6. neuron

neuron Moderator Moderator

Apr 18, 2010
    ^^^What these guys said.

7. Cynic2701

Cynic2701

Mar 31, 2009
    Besides probably voiding the warranty, I'm wondering if the blade was re-ground to accommodate for the recurve? Is the thickness behind the bevel consistent? To be honest I would have expected it to sell for less than what you payed for it.

8. crowmagnon

crowmagnon

Oct 29, 2010
    Thanks for the input, now I know not to waste time and money on another one.

9. RevDevil

RevDevil Super Evil Supermod Staff Member Super Mod

Nov 9, 2009
    Pick up some steel bar stock, and design a fixed blade. You obviously have some interest in the craft aside from just collecting and using. Given some time, I'm sure you could come up with a solid design and put out a good product. ;) don't give up.

10. yablanowitz

yablanowitz

Apr 14, 2006
    Bad news. Most of the people watching were probably laughing at what someone did to a good knife and waiting to see if anyone would buy it. I've never found any advantage to recurves in anything smaller than a machete, but plenty of disadvantages. I know some people like them, but I doubt I'll live long enough to figure out why.

11. crowmagnon

crowmagnon

Oct 29, 2010
    Okay, okay! Apparently I'm retarded. Sorry BladeForums. Also sorry to the poor little Tenacious who was needlessly mutilated.

12. singularity35

singularity35

Mar 1, 2010
    Not retarded, you just did not have your hand on the pulse of buyers. Or maybe you just don't have a Youtube review channel like nutnfancy. He could have sold that for a hundred bucks.

13. 5.56

Sep 27, 2008
    I just don't understand the Chinese knife modding thing.

Modding a cheap Chinese knife is like polishing a turd, it's not going to magically become a $500 custom Chinese knife.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.