1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Pimped User FPR BK-16 Tweener

Discussion in 'Becker Knife & Tool' started by tjswarbrick, Jul 20, 2012.

  1. tjswarbrick

    tjswarbrick

    Mar 31, 2011
    Beckerheads,
    I drew on the talents of a lot of people on this forum, and think I finally completed my BK16. At least until the "Beckerhead" micarta scales become a reality.

    I bought the knife used - it had been stripped, convexed, etched, and blued. Had a workable chopper edge - useful, but not terribly sharp.
    I thought I might use it occasionally on food, so I belt-sanded down the blade, scrubbed with scotchbrite and soap, cut a bunch of citrus, scrubbed some more, and forced a "new" patina with high-temp vinegar and lemon juice.
    At that point, the blade was sharp as a bowling ball so I reprofiled the edge to 20 deg per side on the worksharp, and got the 1095 hair-popping.

    I made some liners and stippled the PB grivory scales. That's in another thread.

    I then set to work on the sheath. I read a couple threads on mods, and tried a few myself. Trimmed the liner, cut off some extraneous parts, stretched the strap, and voila!

    That done, I thought I would make my own "mycrta" from brown and oyster burlap. I used the Bondo epoxy resin. I tried both waxed paper and saran wrap to separate the material from the press. Both adhered much worse than I expected, but I managed to peel, tear, cut and grind it off eventually.

    I originally attached the handles with stainless screws, but what I really wanted was matching "aged" carbon steel.
    I read of several ways to remove black oxide coating. CLR did nothing for me. Drano gel took overnight. Then I still needed to wire-brush them off. In the end, I'm happy with the outcome.

    Finally, I tied my own brown and tan square-knot paracord lanyard.

    Everything that could conceivably be cut with a knife in this project - sandpaper, burlap, kydex, plastic liner, sheath, paracord - was all cut with the 16.
    Most of the grinding and shaping was done with a dremel, and finished with the worksharp.

    After a bit of use, and a week lying in the garage - Here are the photos:

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
     
  2. daizee

    daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

    Dec 30, 2009
    Cool!
    I like the thematic colors.
    Nice work on the lanyard.

    -Daizee
     
  3. Jonny1280

    Jonny1280 Gold Member Gold Member

    Jan 5, 2012
    That's a good looking knife!
    Looks like it's born to work.
    I like the colors you used for the micarta.
    Nice work!
     
  4. tjswarbrick

    tjswarbrick

    Mar 31, 2011
    Thanks guys.
    This is how it looked with stippled PB scales and chocolate-brown liners.

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    I thought I was going to use the liners, but the mycarta turned out a little thicker without than the grivory was with, so they are in storage awaiting potential redeployment.
    Peanut butter and chocolate was the inspiration for the theme, but mostly I don't care much for "tactical" black - and I wanted it to look okay with the stock sheath.

    I really like the hand feel with the mycarta, and it seems to make the knife a little more lively in the hand than the zytel.
     
  5. wasatchdan

    wasatchdan

    Jan 6, 2007
    Great job, Warbrick. The mycarta scales are pretty cool. That thing is now a serious user.
     
  6. CamH_16

    CamH_16

    Feb 5, 2012
    I swear I've seen this before, although last time that knife didnt have a lanyard...
     
  7. tjswarbrick

    tjswarbrick

    Mar 31, 2011
    True, Cam, true.
    Last time the sheath still had the outer pocket, too, and the screws were still stainless. I think I'm done with this one now. Maybe.
     
  8. tew3006

    tew3006

    122
    Mar 12, 2012
    That's a great looking knife! Nice job.
     
  9. Eero

    Eero

    May 6, 2012
    How did you make the hex bolt holes? Im working on some wood scales right now and my shop skills/tools are limited so any tips or advice would be helpful. Thanks.
     
  10. Critikill

    Critikill

    150
    Jun 19, 2012
    Looks great! I don't know if you where specifically going for a rattlesnake look, but to me it's a great theme between the scales and lanyard. Good job on that knife. Only suggestion I would make is put some kind of patch where the sheath pocket was to hide the cut canvas.
     
  11. TwinStick

    TwinStick

    Jan 21, 2011
    Great looking setup there.
     
  12. tjswarbrick

    tjswarbrick

    Mar 31, 2011
    Thanks guys.
    I wasn't going for the "rattlesnake" look - I guess it just sort of came out that way. Glad you like it.

    Eero, for the hex-holes, I drilled 'em kinda small, and finished them up with a Dremel straight-tip cutter (I don't recall which one - if you must know, PM me and I'll try to figure it out tomorrow.). I have the Workstation, so I locked in the depth, and worked the scale in a hex pattern, a little bit at a time, following the factory scale as a guide.
    I only messed up one or two corners, and they came out better than I expected.
    If you want perfect, I suggest spending some time practicing to get a feel for how quickly and how far to move the workpiece for a successful cut.
     
  13. ml100

    ml100

    732
    Jul 19, 2005
    These are some of nicest looking micarta handles. Well done.
     

Share This Page