Plausible deniability

Thanks Tim....Hog's calling out Hog's just didn't sit right with me when I read the OP.

Blade Runner....Thanks for watching other venues and I hope you notified the Seller of this thread....OINK

In INFI We Trust....:thumbsup:

Hogs calling out hogs? So because someone has been here a few years makes it ok to be shady? How about hogs scamming other hogs? Is that ok?

Now I'm obviously exaggerating a bit but I personally do think it was intentional. And this thread isn't only about the one sale as was mentioned earlier.

Yes I notified him.

In INFI We Trust....:thumbsup:
Unless it's SR101 and wasn't labeled as such.

I think it's a valid topic of discussion as long as it's kept civil. It might even be useful to some that are newer to Busse Combat. Whats wrong with correct information?

Hogs calling out hogs? So because someone has been here a few years makes it ok to be shady? How about hogs scamming other hogs? Is that ok?

Now I'm obviously exaggerating a bit but I personally do think it was intentional. And this thread isn't only about the one sale as was mentioned earlier.

Yes I notified him.

Unless it's SR101 and wasn't labeled as such.

You did come here and blow the whistle and asked for our opinion on the matter. I realize that misrepresentation never happens other than in the world of knives. I check the GB&U and see it all the time intentional or not it happens be informed Buyer Beware!
Hogs scamming other Hogs I'm sure its happened was it shady probably was there Regret probably not. Not every deal is perfect, but that's between buyer and seller.

So there's an ASH2 on fleabay being sold by one of our regulars here. I find the wording in the description to be highly misleading but he thinks I'm "stupid" for thinking that. What do you guys think?

Here's the situation. He has an etched and stripped blade. He is describing it as "Busse ASH2 competition finish with convex edge done by AZTimT". I asked if it's actually a comp finish or if it's stripped. He said it clearly stated it was given a comp finish by Tim. I personally don't think you can "give it a comp finish" since a comp finish means it never had coating. Plus I don't see how it "clearly states" it was given a comp finish. His wording makes it sound like it is a comp finish knife that was given a convex edge by Tim.

We all know that Busse doesn't offer the comp finish and those knives are more sought after right? Is he trying to mislead people in your opinion?

On a related topic I've been seeing a lot of people listing BIG finish blades as just satin and even a few BG version not mentioning they are BG or SR101. Is this a new trend among the Busse crowd? I really hope not.

Well after a few heated messages he decided to change one word in the description. Now it says
"Busse ASH2 competition finish and convex edge done by AZTimT"
Notice the "with" became "and"?
I don't think there was a question directed towards you. Didn't matter to me who did it if it wasn't factory. Comp is comp. Not comp is not comp.
Indeed. Let's straighten this situation out right here and now. You posted my name all over this thread, so I believe I have been brought into this publicly as well, much more even than the seller. I personally think this was not necessary and would have been much better handled on the side lines, which you made no effort to contact me in any way about the matter before asking for public opinion of the matter which could be resolved in one private message. However, since that common courtesy was not given, I feel it is an opportunity to educate ANYONE who reads this thread, especially since I have 5 and 3 year olds with whom I get the pleasure of needlessly sorting out these kinds of petty issues everyday.

It takes a lot of time and effort to do the work no matter who has done it and the end result is a nice looking knife that functions as well or better than factory and has not been treated by me in a matter which would make it inferior. I know this is true as I know how I do what I do and also use my own knives both factory and those refinished by me. Yes they are sought after enough that some people contact others privately to request them to make a knife look a way that they can not get elsewhere. To those who want that knife with that finish it may be worth more than factory, to others, not so much. Back when I first started here, unmarked blades reground/refinished by @Ban were highly sought after because the man has mad skills with cutting geometry. :thumbsup::cool: I still have an AK that he did that will out slice anything I have ever used. I am no where near his level nor am I trying to offer his service, but I strive to improve with every project.

So, if you or anyone else wish to buy that or any other knife or not is up to you... along with your decision to call people out by bringing them into a public forum topic without giving them notice. I have worked hard to maintain a good reputation here, so throwing mine or other people's name around over semantics in my opinion, is neither cool nor professional, :( one service provider to another. ;)

On top of all that, the info in the exchange ad here on this site has not been edited since May 28th where it does say AND, not WITH. The bottom line is no one will force you to buy it, if you dislike the wording more than you like the knife, you are free to pass on it and look at something else. People are going to make mistakes, but pictures usually will make things clearer to those who know what to look for. Words are the easiest thing for someone to mess up, some folks are great at communicating, others not as much, and some have typos/auto-correct issues, but that doesn't make them or their intentions dishonest. If you expect the whole world to change just to meet your expectations, prepare to be sadly disappointed.

Where this unHOGly thread goes from here is up to you, sir. Jerry after verbally knocking some heads together would probably just say "Let's Drink!!!" :D :thumbsup:

I really don't see where you're coming from. I never mentioned the quality of your work. I never said it's not good. In fact I said it was good work. I posted your name because the ad has your name. Not because I'm dragging your name through the mud. If anything, you are getting free advertising and the fact that it's hard to tell the difference between factory comp and your work is a testament to the quality. There was no need to contact you directly because the issue wasn't about your work. It's about wether it was factory comp or aftermarket.

Yes his ad on here says "and" but his auction didn't. Does his wording on here excuse his wording on there?

Still nobody has said it's OK to call it a comp finish. So aside from the "and/with" issue, is this misleading? I feel it is.

It definitely not OK to say a stripper as competition finish no matter how good the strip work it is.

Comp finish is only refer to factory uncoated blade.

I have dealt with him and a good friend of mine (who is not an active member here) has dealt with him quite a bit and I believe that he really is a good dude, so on that note I'll just say that I believe the subject of intent is arguable. As far as the description goes, my personal opinion is that that any modifications to a knife should be clearly listed in the description of a knife being sold. Stripping and logo etching included. I can see how calling it a comp finish could throw a flag, as the person who did the work does not call it that. Hearing about an altercation from just one side doesn't always tell the full tale. Maybe he just didn't like the way you came at him and it led up to this. Who knows.

I agree with what clampdaddy says here. I don't really presume ill intent, but with that said, we are at a point with all of the factory options and combinations that it has become extremely easy to allude that a knife is what it isn't - be it about the finish or even whether the knife is made from infi. This can be intentional or not intentional.

Newbies now must be extremely careful if they aren't familiar.

I don't think it's clear at all in the sale. The person who modified it(and clearly did a swell job I will add), does not call it a competition finish. Nor does the ad say it was stripped.

I do believe that a buyer should be informed. I also firmly believe that sellers bear the responsibility in describing their items fully and accurately.

I'm not going to question anyone's integrity, but I will say that whether it is intentional or not, it is deceiving.

I haven't seen the add so I may regret this. But Competition, BIG , and bbdc as far as I'm concerned should only be used if it came from factory. Other wise throw a "homemade " comp finish in the add or "other"satin finish. I've never seen anyone's home "BeadBlast " have the same look as busse gives it. Something special about their blasting technique. Love it. Now to go look on $bay:cool:.
Edit: I read ad and understood it was not done by Busse. Nice knife.

This is how I feel. "Refinish" by "regrind by"

There have been a lot of knives listed incorrectly lately. Here, on groups on Facebook, on auction site, etc, etc. Most are done by those that don't know what they have. Some are selling something they are relisting incorrectly, wrong model, wrong steel, etc, etc.

On a side note, Aztim, I've bought great products from you. You do great work. I am super happy to see that you are doing re-grinds and finish work, etc. It is an area that, frankly, we need more providers filling the void. I've owned a FBMLE modded by Bill Siegle, and it completely opened my eyes on edge geometry, and handle shape!!!

I did not take any of the OP's posts or any since then as in any way impugning your work or character.

I do feel the needed clarification for those with less experience/knowledge. I don't think there was any thing negative about the lovely work you did on that knife. Frankly, the finish you do looks much cleaner!

Last edited:
Back