Playing with the Elk...

Great sighting. I've been in the high Rockies for 7 months now and the only elk I've seen was a dead cow on the side of I-70. I've seen a few big horn, though, since I've been out here. . And a couple of mulie does and a young buck in the neighborhood within the last week. You gotta go lookin' for those elk.

Great sighting. I've been in the high Rockies for 7 months now and the only elk I've seen was a dead cow on the side of I-70. I've seen a few big horn, though, since I've been out here. . And a couple of mulie does and a young buck in the neighborhood within the last week. You gotta go lookin' for those elk.

Its funny, I've talked to people that have elk hunted for years, and they have never seen one. Most people don't put in the time and effort though.
We hunt the same area every year, and come hunting season, we know we will be in elk, but whether or not we get a shot, is always unknown.
They are an incredible animal. Even if I don't get one, just being 20-30 yards away from them, and watching and listening to them, is something you can't put a price on.

From what I've read, Colorado has a good elk population, so I'm sure if you spend enough time looking, you will eventually see some.

Speaking of playing with the Elk....
Look what we stepped on the other day.
001-6.jpg

Love to hear them bugle.

elk1.jpg

They are majestic. I'll never forget the first time I heard them bugling. That sound is so strange coming from them and it carries like you wouldn't believe.

Speaking of playing with the Elk....
Look what we stepped on the other day.
001-6.jpg

Thats a great picture :thumbup:

Love to hear them bugle.

elk1.jpg

Yep. Our archery season starts the end of August, and by the midle of September, they should really be talkin. Can't wait

They are majestic. I'll never forget the first time I heard them bugling. That sound is so strange coming from them and it carries like you wouldn't believe.

Yep. They are an incredible animal. I enjoy watching the expression on peoples faces, the first time they hear a bugle :D
Its nothing like seeing it on t.v. Its not quite as impressive as a bugle, but its fun to be close to the cows and calves, and listen to them mew and chirp.

They're easy to see in Colorado, if you just drive up to Estes Park - you could hunt them there with a baseball bat if it were legal. :D I've seen them while hunting, but you gotta know their habits and where they like to hang out.

They are a LOT bigger than you think, if you've never seen one up close...

[video=youtube;s78s-FCSUXs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s78s-FCSUXs[/video]

[video=youtube;s78s-fcsuxs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s78s-fcsuxs[/video]

Yes... I spend 11 months working, for 5 weeks of that :D

On a plus side, my buddy went up to our hunting area, and pulled the pics off the trail cam. There are a bunch of elk and deer coming in every day.

There are only a couple smaller bulls, but when the rut hits, that will change :cool: This is going to be a killer season. I can feel it in me bonez

Yes... I spend 11 months working, for 5 weeks of that :D

On a plus side, my buddy went up to our hunting area, and pulled the pics off the trail cam. There are a bunch of elk and deer coming in every day.

There are only a couple smaller bulls, but when the rut hits, that will change :cool: This is going to be a killer season. I can feel it in me bonez
Very cool. Next year I hope to be out there too.

Very cool. Next year I hope to be out there too.

:cool: You will have the time of your life Mack. 6 more weeks, and the fun begins... My buddy and I were mapping out opening weekend. We figure we will have our elk down by 10 a.m, and will have quarters hanging in camp late afternoon.

The last time we jokingly did that, it happened like clock work. We hiked in, while it was still dark, and at 8: 20 a.m, the Elk started coming. We joked about bagging a big 6x6, and guess what the first elk was, that got within bow range :D

I've enjoyed all the posts. This makes me home sick for Reserve NM and the Gila! Was in the thick of it from 96-99 before family pervailed for me to move. Mended a many a fence and drilled many a water well in and around that area. Greatest land that God created impo!! Good luck this year! Getting a little long in the tooth to lay on the ground like I did with a tarp and a couple of blankets for a bed. While I was there I rode up on many an Elk when I didn't have a camera along but the pictures are still captured in my memory for the rest of my life and I can say "been there". God bless and keep the spirit alive.

Very cool pictures

I've enjoyed all the posts. This makes me home sick for Reserve NM and the Gila! Was in the thick of it from 96-99 before family pervailed for me to move. Mended a many a fence and drilled many a water well in and around that area. Greatest land that God created impo!! Good luck this year! Getting a little long in the tooth to lay on the ground like I did with a tarp and a couple of blankets for a bed. While I was there I rode up on many an Elk when I didn't have a camera along but the pictures are still captured in my memory for the rest of my life and I can say "been there". God bless and keep the spirit alive.

Its funny you mention this, because my best friend and I were talking about getting older awhile back.
We are both 50, but still get it done just fine, and we hunt hard. I did notice last year though, that I am really starting to have problems with my right hip. After two days of hiking, and climbing up and down the canyons, the pain was getting fairly intense. I still managed to keep going, but it was a reminder that I won't be able to do this forever, and really need to enjoy it while I still can...

The memories are something you will have forever. Some of the most memorable hunts I've had, have been years when I didn't get anything.
Being surrounded by elk. Getting to watch, and listen to them in their home, when they didn't know anyone was watching, and time spent around the camp fire are memories I will always have. Getting an animal is just a bonus.

My son is 15 and started archery hunting two years ago. When I am to old to do it anymore, I will be able to watch him, and listen to his stories

Back