Please Help ID & Date Miner's Pick

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by DustyDave, May 17, 2017.

1. DustyDave

DustyDave

May 16, 2017
    Hello!

I'm a prior lurker and a present collector of miner's tools, specifically picks. I've recently come across an interesting pick that is stamped with an H inside of a shield as well as WASHOE on the reverse side. From the research I've done, it seems that this pick was manufactured by Hubbard & Co. I'm unable to find any documentation stating that Hubbard had a Washoe brand, but I know that at least a few other companies did: Washoe Mfg Co, Lathrop & Co, and J. Wright Extra. Anyway, if you can offer any insight, I would be most appreciative. Also, I have no clue as to its potential age. Thank you for taking the time to read this and for your help.

Thanks!!

2. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
  3. Lieblad

Lieblad

Jul 24, 2015
    My first reaction "Washoe" is an owners name. Washoe County for example.

Square_peg likes this.
  4. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    Iron City made a Washoe branded pick. They became part of Warren tools I think. But iron city had a star trade mark. Maybe the H is a hardware brand?

5. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    Sure looks like the same H trade mark as Hubbard used in the link Squarepeg posted. Maybe Hubbard didn't manufacture everything they sold?

6. DustyDave

DustyDave

May 16, 2017
    Thank you for the responses guys! All good insight and suggestions.
    Very interesting. Thanks again.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  7. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    I would guess Washoe was either the owner or the retailer. Hubbard is the maker.

8. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    My guess is that it was owned by the Washoe Mining Company, which did coal mining in Montana, according to a mining journal from 1910.

[​IMG]

Square_peg likes this.
  9. DustyDave

DustyDave

May 16, 2017
    Right on, thanks again guys! It must be at least 100 years-old if it's possibly owned by the Washoe Mining Company or named after the Washoe mining region in Nevada (operations there ceased for the most part in the 1890s).

10. mc5aw

mc5aw

Nov 6, 2011
    Perhaps made by Hubbard explicitly for Washoe Mining?

11. DustyDave

DustyDave

May 16, 2017
    I ran across another miner's pick with the same stamp: WASHOE. However, there are no other marks on it - no maker's mark - and it's shaped just slightly different than my Hubbard WASHOE pick. It's stamped in a different location as well. Given this, I'm thinking that the Washoe Mining Company purchased a variety of miner's picks and then stamped their company name into it. But, this begs the question, how easy was it to stamp iron back in the day? Is it even possible, or make sense, to stamp an already finished product? Thanks again.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  12. DustyDave

DustyDave

May 16, 2017
    Thanks. We know Hubbard made the pick, but are trying to determine who stamped WASHOE into it. And, now we have 2 picks: one has the Hubbard mark and is stamped WASHOE. The other pick does not have a maker's mark, but is a slightly different shape and also stamped WASHOE. The question at hand is who is taking picks from various manufacturers and stamping them WASHOE. Would a company go through the hassle of stamping picks after they've been purchased? Thank you.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  13. quinton

quinton

Nov 4, 2006
    I'd say with large contract buys, the tool maker would setup and stamp the heads for the buyer. Just like FSS, Bell systems, or the various RR's.