Poll. Those who forge vs those who do stock removal.

Do you forge, use stock removal, or both?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be interesting to guess the weight of this anvil :eek:
Ive seen anvils up to 1200# and they were not nearly that big. Id say it weighs close to a ton..Ive got a couple pics of that anvil other than that one.

Great photo !
Despite it appears its been hammered on some, I suspect thats more of an advertising piece than a real working anvil.
On this screen, it appears cast iron.
Could be hollow for all we know.

Fwiw, cast iron is just under 450 lb./cubic foot. One might extrapolate scale from that picture with guys there estimate its overall weight.

Both.. I live in the Arizona desert, so it's forging weather from September through May and stock removal June, July, and August. Did I mention it gets a little warm here? ;)

Both.. I live in the Arizona desert, so it's forging weather from September through May and stock removal June, July, and August. Did I mention it gets a little warm here? ;)
But it's a dry heat. :D Try forging anywhere down low in the Southeast during August. I really don't envy smiths in places like Charleston where they have Atlanta heat and Miami humidity!!! :eek:

But it's a dry heat. :D Try forging anywhere down low in the Southeast during August. I really don't envy smiths in places like Charleston where they have Atlanta heat and Miami humidity!!! :eek:

I'll vouch for that. 98° + and 100% humidity draws a high vacuum (sucks). I liked it much better as far as heat goes when I lived in Columbus, NM working in a fabrication shop. Dry heat is much easier to deal with.

Ive seen anvils up to 1200# and they were not nearly that big. Id say it weighs close to a ton..Ive got a couple pics of that anvil other than that one.

Using the man's forearm as a 12" reference, I get around 3000 pounds for the rectangular portion. That didn't include the bick, so I would guess 3200 pounds.

I do neither, would like to try both. Just like with paint and graphite, I appreciate the artistic (uh-oh, taboo word at BF!) necessity in the creation of both.

Ha, I hear ya. I dreaded every time we had to go to the field at Ft. Polk in Lousiana when I was stationed in Ft. Campbell Ky. Those southern boys have a beast with that humidity!

Ha, I hear ya. I dreaded every time we had to go to the field at Ft. Polk in Lousiana when I was stationed in Ft. Campbell Ky. Those southern boys have a beast with that humidity!
LOL. I was born in Kentucky, grew up in Miami, live in the Tampa Bay area and spent a lot of time in the Keys, Atlanta, Tallahassee and Dallas. The most miserable hot/humid that I have ever seen is in the coastal plain of the Carolinas in August. Worse than Cancun in June even. I wonder what those Jamestown settlers with their wooly outfits thought about their first summer in the Tidewater region of Virginia? Wait! I know!!! The ones who LIVED thought that it was pretty miserable. ;)

Yes, we locals often wonder what idiocy drove the settlers to make their fort on a water level island in a disease infested swamp on the James river. If you google "HOT, HUMID, MOSQUITO INFESTED" you will probably get a photo of Jamestown. The typical James River day from June thru September is 90+°F, 95% humidity, and no breeze ... with a 5PM thundershower almost every day. You do get some shade as the swarms of mosquitos fly around you. And, you don't want to know about the ticks and deerflies in that area!

A couple of my people at Jamestown. Didn't take them long to get the hell out of there and head for the mountains.

Stacy, when I was in grad school, I took a colonial history class with a professor out of William and Mary who was one of the guys digging at Jamestown. He said that one of the "public health" problems with that location was that the settlement was so close to open water that the tide would cause "refuse" that they dumped into the river to kind of circle back around. They were drawing poopy, slightly brackish water out of the river for domestic use. :eek::poop:

LOL. I was born in Kentucky, grew up in Miami, live in the Tampa Bay area and spent a lot of time in the Keys, Atlanta, Tallahassee and Dallas. The most miserable hot/humid that I have ever seen is in the coastal plain of the Carolinas in August. Worse than Cancun in June even. I wonder what those Jamestown settlers with their wooly outfits thought about their first summer in the Tidewater region of Virginia? Wait! I know!!! The ones who LIVED thought that it was pretty miserable. ;)

Nice jdm61, I'm from the Keys! :] A: The settlers traded for light woven clothes from the Indians, if I recall. As a matter of fact, "defectors" leaving to join up with Indians was a major problem for the early settlers' setting up shop.

Forge, but that's important for making a ti alloy blade, gotta forge it!

Nice jdm61, I'm from the Keys! :] A: The settlers traded for light woven clothes from the Indians, if I recall. As a matter of fact, "defectors" leaving to join up with Indians was a major problem for the early settlers' setting up shop.

What? No Wool Undies for those Cool Swamp water Summer Evenings?

Where in the Keys? Do you still live there?

Where in the Keys? Do you still live there?

Islamorada to Key Largo stretch - upper keys. Not there anymore, now instead of mahi and grouper I stalk trout and salmon in the Pac NW. :D

Islamorada to Key Largo stretch - upper keys. Not there anymore, now instead of mahi and grouper I stalk trout and salmon in the Pac NW. :D
There are no mahi in the Keys. Only dolphin.:p

As a matter of fact, "defectors" leaving to join up with Indians was a major problem for the early settlers' setting up shop.
One of my people that were in Jamestown left out and married a mingo chiefs daughter then came this way..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back