1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Posting knives for sale

Discussion in 'Gossman Knives' started by Gossman Knives, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Gossman Knives

Gossman Knives Edged Toolmaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 9, 2004
    This year I plan on making up knives hopefully on a weekly/bi-weekly basis and posting them here for sale. They will also be going in my website store. I haven't decide if I will no longer take orders. Still thinking on that.
    Scott

2. bigcountry1315

bigcountry1315

Aug 3, 2009
    Best of luck to you Scott in all of your end avers!I am hoping that you are doing it this way because you are getting into retirement mode and do not want orders pressing you to get done. I hope you are not doing this due to a lack of orders.Once again best of luck my friend!.............................Mike

3. Gossman Knives

Apr 9, 2004
    Thanks Mike. No chance of me retiring. I may not ever get to retire from my other job. At least not for a long time. As far as the knives go, I think having knives made up ready for sale will help my sales. Depending on orders ain't working. I have three orders pending. I do really like the personal aspect of working one on one with someone placing an order which may keep me from not taking orders but in the meantime, having knives made up will give someone the opportunity to get a knife without the wait.
    Scott

4. Camber

Camber Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2011
    If it does go into effect, can you at least put a clause in that "no orders policy" that gives an exemption to awesome previous customers...or at least previous customers that live within 1.5 hours of the shop? lol

If the damn dog would ever quit getting sick, I could order that Polaris, and I still have dreams of a WST next year.

5. Gossman Knives

Apr 9, 2004
    Collin, it may not come to that. I'm just weighing my best options. Order taking has been great.
    Scott

6. Gossman Knives

Apr 9, 2004
    I guess I should clarify why I'm on the fence about taking orders. Problems I've had are orders placed, then when they are ready, delivey is not taken. That is the biggest concern. Also keeping track can get complicated. I've also had orders placed, deposits made then final payment has taken several months to be paid.
    With ready made knives, there is no wait, payment is immediate and I'm not pressured with deadlines.
    Scott

7. Camber

Jul 13, 2011
    I see what you're saying and definitely understand where you're coming from. That's a shitty thing for someone to do to you...funny thing is I thought about it last time I was in the shop because you still have all those left handed sheaths on the work bench when you walk in.

Just making them on a weekly basis seems could save a lot of that headache. Sometimes too it seems to generate interest because people seem to buy being afraid they'll miss out on ever getting one or getting the one they want again.

8. Gossman Knives

Apr 9, 2004
    It seems to be the latest trend with some makers not taking orders. I hate to say it but supply and demand seem to work when it comes to products. If you see something you want and there are a limited amount, you are more likely to jump on it when it's available or you'll have to wait until the product comes up for sale again.
    Scott

9. Gossman Knives

Apr 9, 2004
    I've got 3 knives that I'm working on based on a popular design but have never been made before in the sizes I'm making.They will be available for sale.
    Scott

10. Camber

Jul 13, 2011
    Any hints as to the design you're working off of? And you going bigger or smaller than normal?

11. Gossman Knives

Apr 9, 2004
    Smaller then normal. Just think of a wolverine. Small but very tough. A wolverine will take on something much bigger then himself.
    Scott

12. geargeek

geargeek Gold Member Gold Member

May 31, 2010
    I'm guessing that if you have knives up for sale on here and on your website they will go fast. But I hope you will still take special orders sometimes as well! Maybe ask people to pay at least 50% up front for a special order... that would help keep people honest.... If someone really wants a special knife they should be willing to pay up front for it.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  13. frc505

frc505

Jun 12, 2010
    When i read this the first thing i thought
    of was wolverine fighting the incredible
    Hulk ! Lol... Cant wait to see what you've
    Come up with scott.

Frank

14. frc505

frc505

Jun 12, 2010
    I see your point about taking orders ! Maybe you
    Could test it out first before you make s.o.p ?
    Such as during hunting season dont take any
    Order just have some for sale that were made
    Prior to hunting season lets say four psk's four
    Or five tuskers in different blade lengths and
    Then four or six different models like one polaris,
    One bolo, one wst, one nessie, one unk and so on !
    That way you have your bases covered with your
    Most popular models and still have a selection of
    Your other models for people who want some thing
    Different ! In doing this i would think it would give
    You more time to hunt and general time for your
    Self !

Frank

15. I didn't even think about this ^. Frank has a point, during hunting season, you can set your own pace. BTW, my father says thank you. I hope to get some time out this weekend with the Deer Creek. If not ON Deer Creek, then on one of it's tributaries ;).

I like that too, Tusker vs "Logan" ;), Wolverine against the Incredible Hulk :D.

16. frc505

frc505

Jun 12, 2010
    Thanks again SHS ! Just trying to be helpful ...

Frank

17. Andster2

Andster2

Feb 18, 2007
    Scott, I think you have a good idea. Posting pictures of limited run knives should help with sales and make your life easier. Us knife nutz like to drool over pictures. There is a temptation to buy before someone else gets it, when you know that there wont be another for some time. Having discounts on certain knives during a particular season maybe a good idea too. (Ex. Hunting knives are 10% off the month of September prior to Bow season).

I would like to see special runs with exotic handles in small runs. Perhaps zebra wood, buffalo, jigged bone, etc. One of a kind knives would be cool too.

18. Gossman Knives

Apr 9, 2004
    I'm going to continue taking orders. Also I will be making at least two knives a week, possibly more that will be put in my online store that is on my website. I have a link to it in my signature here on BF. I plan on making different models for the store. As I become more familiar with the store, I will be running specials and limited runs of models with unusal handle materials. When I get enough cash flow, I plan on selling other items like sharpeners, survival gear and what ever else I can think of.
    Scott

19. Haole

Haole Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2009
    I'll be checking in often!

20. BloodGroove4570

BloodGroove4570

Jul 25, 2010
    That sounds Great Scott, will keep an eye peeled here and store :thumbup: