1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Pulling the trigger on a TGLB

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by emt1581, Jul 17, 2012.

1. emt1581

emt1581

Dec 28, 2011
    I've been thinking about it for a few months now. I'm just too big a fan of TWD and I do love the look/specs of the knife enough that the guard is no longer a deterrant. Plus in light of the fact that Busse, apparantly, does allow payments at no extra cost, I'm basically out of excuses.

I know I want tanker grey. I know I want the black spec. ops. sheath. What I need help with (pics if possible) is deciding on the grip.

I know I want either black or tan micarta. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

2. BePrepared

BePrepared

Aug 26, 2010
    I prefer contrast in my blades.. i went with black and blue g10 with a black blade, but given your stated options, i think i would go with the tan micarta. It looks very nice

[​IMG]

Of course, i'm a G10 guy myself, so if it was gonna be tanker grey and tan, i'd pick this one

[​IMG]

3. 2Dead

2Dead Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2009
    BP, I think the top one is the black micarta. This one is tan
    [​IMG]

4. BePrepared

BePrepared

Aug 26, 2010
    Really? in what world is that one i posted black... isn't black a more... you know.. black, type color? :confused:

5. Feezle

Feezle

Jan 30, 2012
    Correct, that first pic is the black. Actual pics I've seen of the knife, the handle varies from medium green to dark green. My RMD and the original TG I had were dark green. If not going for the DD look, I would go for the black out of the choices you have stated. I also really like the green and black G10. I like the feel of the canvas better though.

6. BePrepared

BePrepared

Aug 26, 2010
    okay then, the one i posted is the one i like... the other "tan" is too warm a color for the tanker grey

7. FTR-14c

FTR-14c Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 24, 2011
    I went with a little contrast

[​IMG]

8. Sharp Knives 86

Sharp Knives 86

Oct 27, 2009
    The top one is "black" micarta. It has a more drab color to it though so I too have always been confused as to why it's call black micarta. That being said I love the drab look of the "black" canvas which is why I went with it personally.

9. 2Dead

Jul 30, 2009
    I have 2 RMDs, both in black canvas. One has a greenish hue while the other has a tan hue but both turn black if they get a little wet. Probably has to do with how much of the fiber vs resin is visible.

10. BePrepared

BePrepared

Aug 26, 2010
    Me too :)

[​IMG]

11. Ramil839

Ramil839

Feb 11, 2012
    Is satin more expensive than just coated?

12. 2Dead

Jul 30, 2009
    Pretty sure its black canvas fabric that is made into micarta, hence black canvas micarta. Not to derail the thread but here is the only knife I had in hand with polished black micarta. If it was sanded down a bit, it would lighten up in color unless wet.
    [​IMG]

13. BePrepared

BePrepared

Aug 26, 2010
    Yes, but you can't GET a TGLB in satin... closest you can get is competition finish, and that's not more expensive

14. Ramil839

Ramil839

Feb 11, 2012
    Whats the difference between lets say black coating and competition (besides the looks)?

15. BePrepared

BePrepared

Aug 26, 2010
    the lack of a coating...

16. Trident777

Trident777

Jul 11, 2011
    EMT- I got me a tanker grey and black G10. I also added liners at the time I placed my order. As far as grips go, micarta and G10 are both great. I love G10 because it is indestructible, just like INFI :p I have many black canvas micarta and while being grippy, had a tendency to pick up stink. And by stink I mean fish/blood/guts. I have to clean and dry it a few times and it still stinks sometimes. Dependng on what you do. But that's just me, YMMV. G10 I have no such problem because it isn't porous like micarta. Just something to think about. But then, I have to say the way the grips are cut on the TGLB, it's super grippy either way. Another thing you mentioned about your BJ. My satin Boss Jack LE is a thin saber grind maybe that's what you need. I would also look into getting a double cut finish and high zero convex to make your combat grade a killer slicer. The combat master sheath fits like it was made for it, by the way.

17. emt1581

emt1581

Dec 28, 2011
    What about that "competition" finish? How purdy is that to look at? Does it look like someone aged the metal? Is the pitting and/or rust risk increase real or just an unfounded myth?

Thanks

-Emt1581

18. BePrepared

BePrepared

Aug 26, 2010
    INFI isn't rust prone, and i have never seen ANYTHING about it pitting

i personally think it looks awesome, and i wish i had known about it before i bought mine, because i'd be getting a comp finish now

19. emt1581

emt1581

Dec 28, 2011
    Maybe pitting is the wrong word but I definitely saw "dimples" used.

I was just curious if anyone had any detailed pics as this would be more preferable to the tanker grey that'll get all screwed up when it's used.

Thanks

-Emt1581

20. BePrepared

BePrepared

Aug 26, 2010
    Courtesy of our friend BigDumplings

[​IMG]

[​IMG]