1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Puukko Pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by t.sous11, Dec 3, 2011.

1. t.sous11

t.sous11

Jul 19, 2011
    I'm a huge fan of Finnish puukkos, they are probably my favorite design. I'd love to see pics if you got em. I'll start, these are the only two I currently own:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  2. Ballenxj

Ballenxj

Oct 30, 2010
    Those are very nice! :)
    I only have one similar knife, and it's from Sweden. I'm not sure if this fits here, but here it is any way.
    A friend gave it to me, and I'm pretty sure it's quite old.
    -Bruce
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Not my pics, but I do own these. These are recent vintage, but definitely traditional. I believe that there is another puukko thread, this may get merged with that thread.

Kellam Wolverine
    [​IMG]

Hackman Tapio Wirkalla (mine are nowhere near this condition)
    [​IMG]

small Hackman Tapio Wirkalla, mine is nearer to this condition
    [​IMG]

Cold Steel Sisu
    [​IMG]

I have a nice wood handled Mora, sitting in a tackle box on the boat, carbon steel of course. Need to salvage it and take care of the old gal.

4. t.sous11

t.sous11

Jul 19, 2011
    Those are sweet. I always wanted a wirkkala, just could never find them for a decent price. I also recall a similar thread, not sure if it was puukko specific though. regardless I woud've revived it but couldn't find it in a search.

5. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    I have two Puukos. I only have a pic of one at hand, my Hackman Tapio Wirkalla. I've had these for decades. Have no idea of the original cost anymore.

[​IMG]

6. festerfromnzed

festerfromnzed

Aug 18, 2008
    I also love puukos....10 1/2 inches in total,,6 inch blade....
    and a laminated Mora

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. JAB

JAB Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 13, 2005
    I love 'em even though I own only the one at the moment.

[​IMG]

8. Frederick89

Frederick89

Dec 30, 2009
    That's my favourite, remaining in Finland.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  9. thejamppa

thejamppa

Aug 20, 2009
    Knarfeng about that Wirkkala. I've seen Wirkkalas in much more worse condition asking price well over $150 and better condition better price. Wirkkala's are after all well sought, pretty rare and in here Finland they are part of national museum collection and awarded with quite few design awards making original ones even more sought in FInland.

10. DITCH

DITCH

Apr 9, 2002
    I have a small Wirkkala, in excellent condition. I've been offered quite a sum for it, but will never sell. I have several other Finnish-made Puukkos, that I often use as kitchen knives. One of the most useable designs ever.

11. Rich S

Rich S

Sep 23, 2005
  12. t.sous11

t.sous11

Jul 19, 2011
    Rich that is an amazing collection.

Who is the Maker? That is sweet.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  13. Ballenxj

Ballenxj

Oct 30, 2010
    Plus one. :)
    -Bruce

14. Frederick89

Frederick89

Dec 30, 2009
    Pasi Hurttila, finnish blacksmith and wilderness guide, a nice guy to discuss with and very skilled craftman.
    http://www.hurttilanpaja.suntuubi.com/?cat=1

I think that a knife like mine would go for about 140 $, as VAT isn't added out of Europe.

15. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    There are a numerous costly and sought-after puukkot here in Finland, but I just have rather modest ones because I use them a lot. It is a brilliantly simple design, elegant and variable and the pouch dangler sheath is almost always safe, secure and easy to wear (no unpleasant jabbing in the ribs when you sit down or drive like with most sheath-knives)

Couple of Marttiini, carbon and stainless. Reliable enough,inexpensive and unfairly looked down on by some. Kind of better finished Mora.

Bought a Leuku and Puukko from the Iisakki Järvenpää factory outlet in Kauhava. These knives are honest enough but perhaps not as good as they once were.The factory has an interesting exhibition and some very good old photos too.

Pair of nice knives from Matti Koski in Kauhava, Kauhavan puukoseppajä. One stainless the other carbon, both have good handles a mix of curly Birch(dark stained) and Reindeer antler. Many variants available too.

16. thejamppa

thejamppa

Aug 20, 2009
    My latest: Pasi Hurttila with Silversteel blade and handle mande out of gnarl of willow:

[​IMG]

17. Slider817

Slider817

Mar 26, 2010
    [​IMG]

18. Slider817

Slider817

Mar 26, 2010
    BCNW-01 in Lignum Vitae
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]