1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Quality Traditional Production Bowies

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by VolundoftheForge, Nov 1, 2012.

1. VolundoftheForge

VolundoftheForge

Jan 3, 2012
    Hey guys. Having a strong Texas heritage, I can't help but love the classic bowie. It's a great all-around fixed blade. For a while no I've been trying to find a good quality production version, but I haven't been able to find one that "spoke" to me, as it were. What are your favorites in this category? Thanks!

2. richstag

richstag

Feb 22, 2007
    My absolute favorites are Randall followed and if not tied by Bark River.

Kevin

3. VolundoftheForge

VolundoftheForge

Jan 3, 2012
    Thanks. Probably should've added I wouldn't really want to spend anymore than probably $300, want to keep it under getting a custom.

4. richstag

richstag

Feb 22, 2007
    Bark River is under 300.

5. VolundoftheForge

VolundoftheForge

Jan 3, 2012
    Is it just called the Bark River Bowie, or is there a model name?

6. markpmc

markpmc

Aug 10, 2011
    can't go wrong w/ BRKT.

7. akadave2

akadave2 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Black Jack Model 14 is nice

8. richstag

richstag

Feb 22, 2007
    Bark River Knife and Tool is the brand. They have made lots of bowies over the years in different steels, styles and sizes. Tons of variations to browse. You can find A2 and 3V blades which interest my tastes. Blackjack is also made by Bark River Knife and Tool and I think of them as the same. Sorry I was so brief initially.

Kevin

9. shrapne1

shrapne1

Aug 17, 2012
    for me it would have to be a Muela; more specifically the Muela Magnum Bowie! very nice knife

[​IMG]

screen cap from "Seraphim Falls," also happens to be a good movie imo.

10. Boggs

Boggs

Feb 27, 2007
    So...are you looking for a Bowie similar in blade shape to the top (considered a true bowie) or the bottom ( American Classic)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. richstag

richstag

Feb 22, 2007
    ^^^^^^Nice

12. VolundoftheForge

VolundoftheForge

Jan 3, 2012
    Well personally, I wanted a "classic" bowie, kind of what you would've seen back in the late 1800's/ early 1900's. I also really like modern bowies, so I guess my answer is, "yes". :)

13. VolundoftheForge

VolundoftheForge

Jan 3, 2012
    No need to apologize, I was just a tad confused. :)

14. Mikael W

Mikael W Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Bark River has made the new line of Scagel Large Bowie.
    Some of those are in Your 300 range

Mine was over 300 but that's because of the Sambar handle.
    It's a beefy knife for an eight inch blade, but it can do both finer cutting and hard chopping.

That Muela above looks tempting, it's a beautiful bowie but I have yet to try one.
    Same with the Randall, a #12-9 would be nice.

A Fällkniven NL2 would also cost You more than Your limit, but it has to be mentioned as the truly great knife it is!

Here's the Scagel Large Bowie:

View attachment 310256

Regards
    Mikael

15. Mikael W

Apr 21, 2007
    Early 1900's: could that be a Marble's Trailmaker?

16. TLARbb

TLARbb Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 24, 2010
    My choice would be a Cold Steel Trailmaster. It is a modernized version, but a pretty good one. It is less than $200.

Ed J

17. VolundoftheForge

VolundoftheForge

Jan 3, 2012
    I really had no particular model in mind. Honestly I'm not highly versed in Bowie history(obviously). I also liked the Svord Bowie, but wasn't sure how the quality was.

18. Mikael W

Apr 21, 2007
    Bowie history is tricky to say the least, but it's very interesting.
    The Von Tempsky has been getting good words from their owners and it's a Big knife!

I don't plan to get it as I'm very pleased with the Big knife I have:
    The rehandled Fällkniven Tor.

View attachment 310258

Regards
    Mikael

19. ron_m80

ron_m80 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 1, 2009
    Canal street cutlery 1873 bowie.
    Case Bowie
    Bear and Sons model 501 and 502
    Remington (?) name has been placed on Marbles style outdoor knives. I don't know who is making them.

With $300 in your pocket though, you should take your time and hunt a good custom down on the Bladeforums, for sale by owner custom knives forum. I have seen several recently that I recall being in your range, and full blown custom style.

20. ron_m80

ron_m80 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 1, 2009
    If you want a quality blade to be used like an original bowie knife, grind down a 12" Ontario Machete, to a clip point and sharpen it up, then place a stacked leather or tag handle on it. "Bowie" knife problems solved.

Also DO NOT FORGET TO CHECK OUT RUANA KNIVES They are required viewing for anyone that dreams of bowie ownership. They are pricey, but they have real bowie lineage behind them. I get mine in another couple of months all things permitting. They are dang lust worthy to look at too.
    [​IMG]