• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Question about getting tracking for a package being shipped to russia??.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeepin

Gold Member
I have a guy in Russia that wants something I have but he wants tracking. I just talked to my post office and they told me there isnt tracking available unless I get the package registered, or if it uses the bigger customs form.

Im a little confused here.

The package weighs just barely under a pound so I will be shipping it first class.

If someone can let me know exactly what I have to do to get tracking for this package without spending 10 or 20 extra bucks I would appreciate it.

Never sent to russia before so I am not sure how to go about it.:confused:

Also if this is in the wrong spot, feel free to move it.

Thanks.

The package weighs just barely under a pound so I will be shipping it first class.

If someone can let me know exactly what I have to do to get tracking for this package without spending 10 or 20 extra bucks I would appreciate it.
You are asking for something unavailable at a First Class rate. No way. The extra money IS what it costs to get tracking. Especially to Russia.

You and he need to come to terms with this. It's either an extra fee you need to incur, or one he needs to pay, OR you both split it.

Otherwise, you roll the dice and hope it makes it, and hope he's honest. I'd like to see both, but the GB&U is filled with horror stories on both ends.

Coop

You are asking for something unavailable at a First Class rate. No way. The extra money IS what it costs to get tracking. Especially to Russia.

You and he need to come to terms with this. It's either an extra fee you need to incur, or one he needs to pay, OR you both split it.

Otherwise, you roll the dice and hope it makes it, and hope he's honest. I'd like to see both, but the GB&U is filled with horror stories on both ends.

Coop

I was afraid of that. I will go in there and see how much extra it will cost.

Thanks..

You need to ship it Priority International, add insurance for your own protection. The shipping will run you around $30-$35 and whatever else for insurance. Coop nailed it.

I just shipped a knife to Norway via priority mail,I could track it by the customs tag # but I don't think it is meant to be.I had to go registered mail to get a tracking #. Priority mail was 38.85,I did not get a figure on registered mail but they did say it was much higher.The weight of the knife was just over a pound.International priority has increased in price a lot over the past couple years.

Okay. I just emailed him a little while ago that he would need to cover the difference, so I hope he does.

Jeepin, I would send it EMS through the post office!! That gives you the best way to track it.

Jeepin, I would send it EMS through the post office!! That gives you the best way to track it.

How much do you think that would cost?. The package weighs barely less than 1 pound, and the size of the box is about 5 inches wide by about 15 inches long.

Jeepin, typically runs $30-50. It may be more but I think it's worth it, especially if it's a expensive knife. Priority mail is not bad but they don't update the tracking as much. I would talk to the gentleman who is buying the knife and see if he would pay a little extra for the shipping.

Let's also not overthink this. If you want to be a victim of lost mail overseas, it won't end well. If you can't afford to ship it properly, walk away, give the money back and call it a day and CONUS only. When people gamble this way, it never ends well and mods end up having to mop up a mess.

Let's also not overthink this. If you want to be a victim of lost mail overseas, it won't end well. If you can't afford to ship it properly, walk away, give the money back and call it a day and CONUS only. When people gamble this way, it never ends well and mods end up having to mop up a mess.

I can afford to ship it. Its up to the guy if hes willing to pay the difference. Im going to stop by the post office tomorrow to check the prices, then let him know exactly what it will cost.

I can afford to ship it. Its up to the guy if hes willing to pay the difference. Im going to stop by the post office tomorrow to check the prices, then let him know exactly what it will cost.

UPS and Fed Ex will give you tracking and will also guarantee it passes customs (if you fill out the paperwork correctly). I wouldn't trust the Postal Service to wipe my butt. I use them but I have had the worst time with service, delivery, and costs. I ship all over the world and the US.

UPS and Fed Ex will give you tracking and will also guarantee it passes customs (if you fill out the paperwork correctly). I wouldn't trust the Postal Service to wipe my butt. I use them but I have had the worst time with service, delivery, and costs. I ship all over the world and the US.

That is some REAL GOOD ADVICE!

UPS doesn't deliver overseas, they just shop it to a local courier, whatever the quality, I wouldn't trust it for Russia.

For Russia, FedEx, EMS and DHL are safe and use real-time tracking & will insure. I have used all 3 for business shipments in Europe, Asia & So America.

UPS doesn't deliver overseas, they just shop it to a local courier, whatever the quality, I wouldn't trust it for Russia.

For Russia, FedEx, EMS and DHL are safe and use real-time tracking & will insure. I have used all 3 for business shipments in Europe, Asia & So America.

UPS is a global company, of course they deliver overseas! Take a look at their website. UPS has a giant processing station near my workshop here in Berlin.

If they subcontract any deliveries, they are still just as responsible for getting the package there as if they deliver it in Peoria, IL.

Call UPS and ask 'em.

Do they make mistakes? Sure. But UPS is a whole lot better than the US Post for Russia.

I shipped hundreds of knives all over the world (including Russia, Australia and China!!) and I would go with UPS as well. I wouldn't touch FedEx with a ten feet pole given my really bad experiences with them. So you know, they actually have in their terms a passage that they don't ship knives (across borders)!!!

Marcel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back