Question about Sebenza blade grind

m.and

Gold Member
I just received a brand new Small Sebenza from an online retailer and I can't help but think there's something a little off with edge grind. I've owned many Sebenzas in the past and I always seem to recall the edge being exactly parallel to the transition line of the flat of the blade and the grind. This sample seems to almost have a slight recurve.

Am I crazy to nitpick such a small detail? Should I return it? Thanks for your thoughts on the matter.

d82de1b2cad090318bc7fe91d856548c.jpg

It almost looks resharpened to be honest. Ive never seen that before. Totally not the CRK standard.

Last edited:
It looks heavily sharpened to me too. The first thing that struck me was how "skinny" the blade looked and how acute the blade gets near the tip.

The choil at the heel is a little off, it should be straight not curved,.. if everything else checks out then it may be a QC leak. And you are right, the shoulder line should be parallel to the straight part instead of upsweep toward belly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first thought when I opened it was, "I don't remember the Sebenza blade being so skinny." I've been carrying an Inkosi for a while and thought maybe I'd just gotten used to seeing a wide blade/skinny handle combination, but something just doesn't look right with this one.

Here's a shot of the full knife.

42B140DD-1518-48C0-AA14-22479C801550_zpsu6iotryx.jpg~original

Attachments

• IMG_5691.jpg
    IMG_5691.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Yeah that blade looks really skinny/ alot of steel sharpened off the blade..

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

As far as I can tell it appears to have the factory edge and is absolutely new in every other way. Regardless, I have contacted the retailer for a refund.

As far as I can tell it appears to have the factory edge and is absolutely new in every other way. Regardless, I have contacted the retailer for a refund.

Could be the last knife sharpened on Thursday, ha. Joking aside the blade does look slim, I'd definitely get it swapped.

When was the last time you handled a small Sebenza??????
The blade shape looks normal, the grind looks a little off, I've got two smalls with similar grinds. Never thought about it until I read this thread.
Now, the regular Sebenza's, both large and small have a wider blade. I can only assume when the 21 came out, the blade shape changed to what you see now. When you put a regular next to a 21, you can see a distinct difference in blade shape. The regular blade is actually a little shorter than the 21.
Here's a pic of one of my small 21's with a similar grind as yours (factory grind) and two regulars and a 21(also smalls)

Both of my 21s are a few years old but do appear to have more belly than the OP's for sure. I think they have a touch more girth than Ajacks.

What is the date of manufacture? CRKs are more or less hand sharpened at the factory so it is possible that it came from the factory that way.... and not resharpened as some here have suggested... What did CRK say and what did the CRK dealer say in response to your concerns? My best guess is that if came from CRK that way. It really does not look to be an issue... I sometimes think that folks here are a just a little too fussy...

Last edited:
I've never had a Sebenza 21 that the apex didn't run parallel to the plunge line on the primary hollow grind. I don't consider myself fussy, but the OP's knife would not be satisfactory to me if bought new or like new. As a user (therefore at a user price) that could be different, but not new.

Is your 21 Large came with a silver thumb stud? I thought the plain jane came in blue anodised. Same goes to the lanyard pin.

Is your 21 Large came with a silver thumb stud? I thought the plain jane came in blue anodised. Same goes to the lanyard pin.

TNK sells them with silver hardware and maybe others also. You probably just have to order them that way. Blue is standard.

I've never had a Sebenza 21 that the apex didn't run parallel to the plunge line on the primary hollow grind. I don't consider myself fussy, but the OP's knife would not be satisfactory to me if bought new or like new. As a user (therefore at a user price) that could be different, but not new.

I guess must you have really good vision... I really can't see an issue from the images and the OP has yet to respond as to what either the dealer or CRK had to say about the perceived issue....

Back