Question about TT Killa Zilla.

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by wittlescwappy, Jun 17, 2017.

1. wittlescwappy

wittlescwappy

Apr 21, 2016
    Anyone have a TT KZ? I am looking for opinions on it vs the KZ2 models. I have the opportunity to purchase one or the other for around 1g. Anyone with a preference for a handle or blade between the two?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  2. rcb2000

rcb2000 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Seems like an average price,,but ultimately it's what you think it's worth

3. wittlescwappy

wittlescwappy

Apr 21, 2016
    Yea I know its the blade I want and I am definitely willing to part with the dough. I'm just trying to make sure I would not prefer the KZ2 to the Test Team model. I am leaning towards the TT model currently because of the curve of the blade. But I am concerned that since this was the "test team" model the Killa Zilla 2 was actually "improved" in some way...

4. tinfoil hat timmy

tinfoil hat timmy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2014
    I'd go with the ttkz. Having owned both, the ttkz will have the superior handle for the blades intended purpose, CHOPPING CRAP THE HECK UP.

wittlescwappy likes this.
  5. wittlescwappy

wittlescwappy

Apr 21, 2016
    Here is the TT KZ I am looking at currently.

Attached Files:

6. wittlescwappy

wittlescwappy

Apr 21, 2016
    and here is the kz2

Attached Files:

7. wittlescwappy

wittlescwappy

Apr 21, 2016
    That's what I wanted to hear. thanks guys.

8. JohnTheTexican

JohnTheTexican Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 1, 2006
    I did not find my TTKZ to be a good chopper; not even in the same league as a FBM. I've heard having the blade reprofiled makes a world of difference. I was going to have that done with mine, but I didn't get around to it before the Custom Shop quit taking on new orders.

9. wittlescwappy

wittlescwappy

Apr 21, 2016
    I have heard that it is not a good chopper out of the box. IF I bought this black coated blade would it be very difficult to reprofile it myself?

10. TheMtnMan

TheMtnMan Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    I havent owned either one, but will get one soon, and looking at the pics, Id Go with KZ2, jmo

11. wittlescwappy

wittlescwappy

Apr 21, 2016
    HRmmm. Maybe I will go with the KZ2. I definitely want one that's a good chopper. And I don't want to rely on the custom shop opening up anytime soon to re-profile the blade for me.

12. David Brown

David Brown Kydex Sheath and Holster Artist :) Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 4, 2001
    Have you seen the HUCK ?

Still pretty available for 700.00 ish
    thinner edge geometry
    handle is better than the KZ2

Having owned all 5
    TTKZ
    KZ2 (sold)
    KZ proto (sold)
    HUCK fin
    and HUCK

I kept the TTKZ because of the handle ergos
    and think the HUCK is the winner of the 5

[​IMG]

13. tinfoil hat timmy

tinfoil hat timmy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Huck would be less expensive, that's for sure. As far as reprofiling goes, you could use a 1x30 belt grinding device to do it yourself. You could do it. If you'd like help, feel free to private message me. I've done it a million times.

14. Rob_Mob

Rob_Mob Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 16, 2013
    I own the Huck Fin, TTKZ, and the KZ2 L.E:

The TTKZ is a dedicated chopper due to blade weight distribution and due to handle ergos. It's a beast and I will never get rid of it. This knife is most effective against chopping medium that are thick. Look at it as a hatchet replacement.

The KZ2 is a much more balanced knife that could serve multiple functions. If you choke up on it, it's a wicked good snap cut/chopping knife. It works great on big stuff and smaller/thinner chopping medium. It does not appear to chop on par with the TTKZ. The only serious criticism I have on the handle design is that when you choke back and chop, the tail digs into your arm/wrist.

The Huck Fin is a great knife. I personally see it as a solid in between the top two. Due to the blade height and the weight distribution, it appears to be a phenomenal chopper. However --- the ergos are phenomenal and it has a nice balance. The grind/geometry is excellent.

In short -- they're all amazing and they all serve a niche of their own. Can't say which is better. Go with the one that excites you most and serves the role you anticipate using your knife for most frequently.

15. Rob_Mob

Rob_Mob Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 16, 2013
    IMG_2045.jpg

If you're looking for a monster chopper -- either find some one to reprofile a TTKZ or attempt to yourself --- it's about as amazing as it gets for a dedicated chopper when fully "optimized"

16. Nautique

Nautique

May 15, 2016
    Hell, get all 3. Problem solved.

17. wittlescwappy

wittlescwappy

Apr 21, 2016
    Thanks for all the replies guys. It's REALLY nice to hear this all from people that have owned them. Busse forums are great. Seems like all three of these blades would serve my purposes in one way or another. Personally, I find the aesthetic of the TTKZ the best by far with the KZ2 following. I never really considered the Huck because I don't favor the way the ridges on the blade look. I guess my final deciding factor would be which one would work best as a weapon - as I practice Chinese/Filipino martial arts and plan to continue doing so. I would like to incorporate this guy into my training once I get comfortable with it as a tool. Between the KZ2 and the TTKZ which has the best balance as a fighter? Is the KZ2 noticeably lighter and easier to wield?

18. WValtakis

WValtakis Gold Member Gold Member

May 29, 2004
    Killa Zilla (TT)(micarta?) = 36.7 oz
    Killa Zilla (TT)(G10)...... = 39 oz
    Killa Zilla II (micarta).... = 33.1 oz
    HUCK (G10)....=32.3 oz

I only own a HUCK, but it is remarkably fast and well balanced. That being said, I did find the handle a little skinny but some liners fixed it right up.

[​IMG]

~Chip

wittlescwappy and hydeinmind like this.
  19. wittlescwappy

wittlescwappy

Apr 21, 2016
    Huck is starting to sound good. Wish I could find one in Satin...that would help me get over the blade ridges. My real concern is that the ridges on the Hucks blade interfere with cutting?

I would LOVE to get a picture of the Huck beside the KZ2 so that I can compare the blade curve.

20. Jaxx

Jaxx Moderator Moderator Platinum Member

Jan 18, 2006
    I don't have a HUCK, but here is an old side by side comparison pic of the TTKZ and KZ2, if it helps... :)

[​IMG]