Question about TT Killa Zilla.

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by wittlescwappy, Jun 17, 2017.

1. WValtakis

WValtakis Gold Member Gold Member

May 29, 2004
    On the CBT, think of them as grooves instead of ridges...if you lay a straight edge from the edge to the flat of the blade the "ridges" barely touch.

~Chip

wittlescwappy likes this.
  2. wittlescwappy

wittlescwappy

Apr 21, 2016
    If you guys had a choice between a "Custom Shop" marked TTKZ with a sharpened back tip (USED with a sheath) for $995.00 and a "Busse Combat" marked TTKZ (NEW) for $1100 - which would YOU go for? According to the measurements in the seller descriptions, the Custom Shop one is .269 thick and 33oz - and the Busse Combat one is .26 thick with no weight description. Pictures of both are below (they are visually similar in all ways except Custom shop/Busse Combat brand and the sharp back tip on the custom shop one). I have come full circle to the TTKZ after much internal debate - and need your guys say on this final question before I drop the cash tnite.

Is a used Busse from Arizona Custom Knives going to be as reliable as the brand new one? Should I pay an extra $100 (+no Sheath) for a new one?

Is the "Custom Shop" one more collectible?

Which one is more likely to be a "newer" TTKZ (the ones that are rumored to have a better grind)?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  3. boring

boring Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2005
    between those two, I would say do you want the back sharpened tip. if it doesn't matter, I would go with the cheaper of the two. warranty has you covered on either knife. Unless I am not paying attention both look in great shape. sharpened tip is probably more rare, but not necessarily more desirable.

4. WValtakis

WValtakis Gold Member Gold Member

May 29, 2004
    And they're not even satin? You could almost buy two HUCKs, one to beat the snot out of AND a safe queen ;)

~Chip

5. boring

Nov 28, 2005
    I bought a tt but still cant talk myself into selling the kz2. the huck does not have nuclear meltdown treatment. I love the nm. totally finishes the knife to me.

6. wittlescwappy

wittlescwappy

Apr 21, 2016
    I THINK that the Custom Shop KZ is a better buy financially and is a rarer item. I also appreciate the fighting advantage the sharpened back-tip provides. I am gonna sleep on it and see what I put $ down on in the morning. Hopefully, a few more people chime in by then. I originally had Traditional Filipino Weapons Kukri (TFW) but the wooden handle broke on me very quickly so I returned it - have been looking for a true battleworthy Kukri ever since. I want to say again I really appreciate everyone's input.

7. boring

Nov 28, 2005
    If you break the handle off a busse , I would say you have completed the training. take a day off. lol

8. boring

Nov 28, 2005
    if you want to pm cell# I have some pic I am having trouble with uploading, comparing ttkz and kz2

9. Sethrotull

Sethrotull

Jun 4, 2009
    Weren't TTKZs all satin? Seem to come up on the exchange sub $1000. I haven't used one but I've held one. It's a beast. Like others have said my understanding is they need reprofiling to be great choppers.

10. wittlescwappy

wittlescwappy

Apr 21, 2016
    Makes me wonder about these two... I actually prefer a coated blade for my use but I wonder why 90% of the TTKZ are satin and these aren't? Are they a later model? Will re-profiling a coated blade be a much tougher job?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  11. Sethrotull

Sethrotull

Jun 4, 2009
    Blanks that weren't released with it initial offering. They are the same basic shape but were done up later by Busse. You never know what INFI dimples lay under that coating. Not harder to reprofile but will probably never be as beautiful as the original.

Don't think these should be called TTKZ but just Killa Zilla or original KZ. Or KZ1.

12. Sethrotull

Sethrotull

Jun 4, 2009
    TTKZs were 39oz with G10. These are probably slightly reprofilled blanks. Remember that sharpened point is gonna take some weight off the front and change chopping dynamics.

I'd post in the WTB section here and I bet you find a better deal or keep an eye on the exchange.

13. wittlescwappy

wittlescwappy

Apr 21, 2016
    I think I am going to try my luck with the exchange. thanks for all the input guys. I think I settled on the TTKZ. Now the wait begins. Do these guys pop up often are are they a rarer find?

14. Nautique

Nautique

May 15, 2016
    Good things come to those who wait!
    If you can.

15. resinguy

resinguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 19, 2006
    I had a real TTKZ, satin, from Blade 2009. It was NOT a good chopper, as the edge profile was too thick. After Garth fixed the edge it was much improved. The thing about those TTKZs is that each one might have been unique. That was the point of the Test Team. Busse was looking for feedback on how each blade performed. So it may be that the later coated KZs incorporated that learning. Or not. Who really knows?

$1K for a coated blade strikes me as too high. I sold my satin improved blade for less. OTOH, I have not paid much attention to the aftermarket on these, so what do I know?

The HUCK looks great, but it must be said that I love the CBT. YMMV. If you are looking for a weapon, then I would think that light and fast is preferable. Once again, what do I know?

16. Rob_Mob

Rob_Mob Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 16, 2013
    The TTKZ's made in the last couple of years are every good as the previous ones, except with some improved grind/blade geometry.

I would recommend, if you're trying to get the perfect fighting/utility Kukri, to get the Huck Fin, and then spend a few hundred getting it a custom mod job/polish job. You can probably get Josh from Razor Edge Knives to remove the CBT, strip the blade, and polish it to a dirty/ghetto Satin polish. You'd be spending the same as getting a coated TTKZ from AZ customs.

wittlescwappy and WValtakis like this.
  17. wittlescwappy

wittlescwappy

Apr 21, 2016
    Three questions for Rob.

-DO you think Josh could remove those blade ridges on the huck?

-Let's say I get a TTKZ and send it to Josh for reprofiling. Will that void my Busse warranty?

-Would you think that this lighter (AZ Customs) TTKZ is probably one of the newer models that is reprofiled? I know it's not the best looking blade for the $. But the lighter weight and sharpened back edge really make this one appealing to me.

18. wittlescwappy

wittlescwappy

Apr 21, 2016
    Oh so are they actually indented into the blade as opposed to being raised? That's not how it appears to me from the pictures. wierd...

19. JohnTheTexican

JohnTheTexican Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 1, 2006
    TTKZ
    KZII
    HUCK
    HUCK Fin

[​IMG]

[​IMG]