Question for 300 Series pocket knife owners!

TAH

Gold Member
As you all know, there are a billion different slip joint pocket knives made by a billion different companies - okay, maybe a billion is a little low. :D Obviously, Buck knives perform well and have a great warranty, but so do many other knives. On top of that, Buck 300 Series knives are common patterns - nothing really unique going on here. So, why do you carry a 300 Series pocket knife instead of anything else? What is the real reason? I have my reasons, but want to hear your reasons first.

Of course, photos are strongly encouraged. :)

IMG_9448_zpsch4g36vh.jpg

As you all know, there are a billion different slip joint pocket knives made by a billion different companies - okay, maybe a billion is a little low. :D Obviously, Buck knives perform well and have a great warranty, but so do many other knives. On top of that, Buck 300 Series knives are common patterns - nothing really unique going on here. So, why do you carry a 300 Series pocket knife instead of anything else? What is the real reason? I have my reasons, but want to hear your reasons first.

Of course, photos are strongly encouraged. :)

IMG_9448_zpsch4g36vh.jpg

For me, there are knives with fancy handles people like to look at but rarely use. I like Buck's traditional patterns because they're tough, affordable, high quality and they just work!

I own several 300 series, just don't to carry one very often, for whatever reason. EDC has been the AG 347 for the past week. still not growing very fond of it. Preston
jpg.gif
IMG_0257.jpg (103.8 KB)

Attachments

• IMG_0257.jpg
    IMG_0257.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 55
TAH
I carry/use multiple knifes due to Electrical Construction work but one knife carried most often is my Buck 301 and that is due to the different blade types and strength. (first aid use). I have been caring the DM since it came out and it does not hold up as well as my old 110 wood but when the time comes to retire or replace it will be a 301 again or a new 307 hint hint.
Bob

When I was a Kid I always had some kind of slippy in my pocket, Case, Schrade, and many others. At that time the Buck slippy knife was just plane with it's black plastic handles (no stag or picked bone). So I did not get one until I made a trade for one (313) with another kid in school. Then I discovered this knives blade did not rust ever. I have not carried a small slippy folder for years, well decades. Maybe I'll add a photo to this post to get the point made!

JB

I grew up with a 301 in my pocket. In high school I often carried a 309 to school. When I was in college carried a 703. Now I carry a mix of knives. Buck,Case, Bulldog, German eye. For almost the past year I've carried a Case stockman my wife bought me for Christmas. The year before I carried a Buck 303 she bought me for Christmas.

I mean no disrespect to Buck but I honestly like the older slip joints better than the new ones. I'm kind of funny on the knives. I prefer Case slipjoints but Buck's lockblades and fixed blades. I do sometimes put my old 301 or 703 in my pocket just for old times sake.

Well, my reasons are similar. Nostalgia and loyalty to THE knife brand of my youth and I do like their utilitarian appearance - being nicely finished, but not dressy. The full flat grind on the old ones is a plus too. :thumbup:

As many know I am a 317 fanatic because I believe it is the most versatile knife and I love the folding hunter design. It is a heavy knife so for edc I have a one bladed 317 I carry 99% of the time.

I grew up with a 301 in my pocket. In high school I often carried a 309 to school. When I was in college carried a 703. Now I carry a mix of knives. Buck,Case, Bulldog, German eye. For almost the past year I've carried a Case stockman my wife bought me for Christmas. The year before I carried a Buck 303 she bought me for Christmas.

I mean no disrespect to Buck but I honestly like the older slip joints better than the new ones. I'm kind of funny on the knives. I prefer Case slipjoints but Buck's lockblades and fixed blades. I do sometimes put my old 301 or 703 in my pocket just for old times sake.

You just about described my carry style here, I carried a 301 for years. Nowadays I far prefer Buck's for hunting knives; 100 series fixed blades, 110/112 Folding Hunters, and the big 307 Wrangler for my pocketknife. For working as a sales rep and for dress EDC I do rotate two Buck 303 Cadets (both flat grinds, one Camillus made, the other Buck made) along with various Case, Schrade USA, and other brands. OH

Buck_303_X_Cadet_-_1990.JPG

Buck_303_opt.jpg

I'll give a shout out for the 302 Solitaire. I've had one for 5 months and it's been so handy I keep it with me all of the time. It's the perfect size for cutting up Jalapenos and mine has sliced and diced many this summer. It works well to punch holes in the ends of cigars and cut them when needed. I used it to cut precise holes in thin adhesive rubber mats laid on computer carts. A difficult material to cut and not screw up. I really just like how easy and smooth it is to open and close. That's important if you need to do it at work a hundred or so times. But it's fun to do sitting around the house too. Not a nervous condition, just a knife thing. I'll probably pick up a 301 in rosewood soon.

I don't carry a slippy real often, but when I do, it's usually this one. I guess I grab it when I'm thinking small carry.

I usually carry a 303, like me it's made in the USA,dependable, hard working, straight forward, simple and reliable.
thanks for listening, Troy

Bought it ages ago.
$_3.JPG

(Not my picture)
It was cheap then
But it's priceless now.
So if I m still carrying it today
It because together
We have been faithful companions
Who understand each other intimately.
Thanks to its sturdy built and excellent quality
Its still here to remind me of the countless times
I had to depend on its great ability
To sort out all manner of cutting task at hand.
Guess you could say I would have hated
To see it put aside for no other reason
Other than feeling guilty going about flirting with younger knives...

It's the steel for me. I don't care much for the steel Case uses, it's hard as Chinese arithmetic. I never can get a good edge in a reasonable amount of time. I like some of the different patterns, but there's nothing a Sowbelly does, or a Peanut does that a 303 can't.

The other issue I have with the some of them is that there is such an overwhelming variety in patterns and materials, I can't really find one I like. Meat and potatoes for me please...

Most here know I like my Buck 334 Trapper. I'm in the same school as gsea. I like the 334's features, strength and size. I can do most of my cutting chores with it and I like it's blade shapes and lanyard hole. Wish I could procure one with 440A steel. I don't care to dress up the handles. We'll maybe black horn. But I want to carry it and use it. I like this size Trapper. This is the only slip lock I'll carry. Not much interest in the small models but gsea's 317 I'd go for. DM

Last edited:
I prefer Buck's no nonsense look and feel, especially the black slip joints. I like the one piece frame as I think it stands up better than many competitors' frames. I prefer that older styles with the full flat grinds, but the new ones cut pretty good. Also, Buck's price point on their basic slip joints just can't be beat, even at three times the price.

Buckshack, I also agree that the 302 Solitaire is a great choice and I often have one with me, somewhere. There are times when non-knife people will want to borrow a knife to cut something. I've seen what they can do and heard all the horror stories. If I give them a Buck and they mess it up, I am not crying because they are affordable and have a great warranty besides.

I prefer Buck's no nonsense look and feel, especially the black slip joints. I like the one piece frame as I think it stands up better than many competitors' frames. I prefer that older styles with the full flat grinds, but the new ones cut pretty good. Also, Buck's price point on their basic slip joints just can't be beat, even at three times the price.

and don't forget the warranty, although I have never used it.

Bert

Back