Question for 319 Proper owners

I know this probably seems like a silly question, but I was just wondering. Do most of you carry this knife down in your pocket with your keys and change, etc. or do you use a pocket slip like some people do to protect their traditional pocket knives. Since this is a true in-pocket knife (i.e. no clip) I was wondering how folks were carrying them and how the micarta handles hold up while riding in the pocket with keys and change, etc. Thanks in advance for your responses.

I use a leather pocket slip. I don't want my pretty red g-10 to get messed up!

Seriously? Everyone is putting their knife in a bag in their pockets?

I carry mine loose in my pocket with all my other junk just as I do with any other knife that has no clip. Mine is holding up fine. The micarta has been collecting oils from my hands and is changing color a little.

I use a Velcro BM pouch for horizontal belt carry on my left side. It's easy to get to and very discrete. :cool:

Last edited:
Interestingly, I called Benchmade customer service to ask about which handle material would hold up better while riding in the pocket with keys, change, etc. Customer service said they would not recommend carrying the knife in the pocket with keys and change due to potential damage to the knife. I carry too much other junk in my pockets to dedicate a whole pocket to just a knife by itself.

I agree with Benchmade's CS. The pocket slip in the above post is just the ticket; next to that I'd opt for a belt mounted version. There are plenty of makers out there, just run a search.

Interestingly, I called Benchmade customer service to ask about which handle material would hold up better while riding in the pocket with keys, change, etc. Customer service said they would not recommend carrying the knife in the pocket with keys and change due to potential damage to the knife. I carry too much other junk in my pockets to dedicate a whole pocket to just a knife by itself.
This just may be the lamest thing I've heard. A knife that can't hold up to bumping into pocket junk.

This just may be the lamest thing I've heard. A knife that can't hold up to bumping into pocket junk.

"I wear condoms."
"This may be the lamest thing I've ever heard. A ......." ;)

Plenty of people keep their pocket knives in slips; so what? There are plenty of reasons for this. Loose change lodging between blade and scale. Obnoxious sideways orientation of handle in bottom of pocket imprinting or being uncomfortable. Noise of clinking metal all day. Dirt from job site accumulating in bottom of pockets throughout the day and getting in joints. -Or it could be as simple as changing the finish of a knife from how one likes to keep his knife.

For the record, I have no opinion to share with you gentlemen about what pocket knife carry method makes you comfortable. It is my opinion, however, that there should be more pics of the Proper in this thread! :cool:

pcguy23 pcguy23 , where did you get that sheath? I'd like one of those. Right now one of my Propers rides in a pocket within my EDC bag (purse).

It is my opinion, however, that there should be more pics of the Proper in this thread! :cool:

_DSC4944%20Edit%20Layers%201024%20Pixel%208_zpsravhkfsw.jpg

F11980DF-CABF-4AB4-A411-D7391ED377CC_zpsfmqcmh3l.jpg

F8008E13-5260-45FC-874F-168B3C076985_zpssyqgmcyf.jpg

_DSC4886-2%20Edit%20Layers%201024%20Pixel%208_zpsoyua8mha.jpg

_DSC4851-2%20Edit%20Layers%201024%20Pixel%208_zpsb1i70rya.jpg

_DSC4856%20Edit%20Layers%201024%20Pixel%208_zpsejq3cae6.jpg

Man, I am having a rough time selecting which handle. Both are so cool in their own way.

Butch Butch , where did that slip w/clip come from?

Waiting for my local dealer to get one in stock so I can handle it. If I make the purchase it will be carried loose in the pocket or in one of the vertical pockets in the tru-spec shorts/pants I tend to wear. After getting used to clipped knives, having one in the bottom of the pocket is slightly annoying enough without adding twice to it's size and weight putting it into one of those slips. I guess if you could get the slip to stay upright all the time it would be nice.

I guess if you could get the slip to stay upright all the time it would be nice.

That's what is nice about the slip case. That leather pocket organizer I showed above with the small SAK and bullet pen seemed to me like a bad idea before I tried it since it took a couple of small items and added a larger footprint. After using it in a suit, khakis, and jeans I found it to be great because it keeps those items stationary in the pocket. Before I was constantly adjusting the items, especially the pen as it tended to go horizontal in the pocket and become uncomfortable. If the slip stops the Proper from doing that it's worth using. I'm going to try one.

After getting used to clipped knives, having one in the bottom of the pocket is slightly annoying enough without adding twice to it's size and weight putting it into one of those slips. I guess if you could get the slip to stay upright all the time it would be nice.

Kinda where I was. I carried modern knives with pocket clips for many years. When I recently returned to traditionals, I didn't like fumbling around in my pocket, so I started making the pocket clip sheath/slips. The one shown is probably the fifth iteration. I need to find some better clips, but other than that, they're where I want them to be.

Edit: Nice pics, photoman.

I made it.
That's awesome!

There's quite a few traditional's that I like but have been reluctant to pull the trigger because they tend to fall into awkward positions in my jeans pocket. I never looked into sheaths before but I'll have to poke around to see if I can find something like that.

Back